• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exclusive: Nolan North Talks Uncharted 5: “You Don’t Want To Jump The Shark”.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Nolan North has spoken about the possibility of a fifth entry in Naughty Dog’s beloved Uncharted series.

In an exclusive interview with OnlySP at Supanova Comic Con & Gaming, North spoke about fans hoping for Naughty Dog to develop Uncharted 5.

“A lot of people want the fifth Uncharted, but that ship has kinda sailed. It’s great that so many people can all remember such an iconic franchise.”

North was also asked about the legacy of the franchise, and when he realised that it had become a phenomenon.

“We didn’t know there’d be a second one. I just remember being really excited to do the second one, and when that one really took off, [Naughty Dog] pretty much knew there’d be a third and a fourth.”

Finally, North revealed when he realised that the series was coming to an end.

“It wasn’t until the fourth one kind of started that there’s no fifth one and you’re going ‘Okay, what’s next?’ But you don’t want to jump the shark … It was bittersweet to end the franchise, but we’re proud of what we’ve made, and if that’s the way that Sony and Naughty Dog decide to leave it, then I’m fine with that.”

pr0cs

Yeah best to just have the series stay finished, especially with how crappy 4 was. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed a number of parts of it but the ending was so bad, the second half really..
I'd rather ND move on to something else, hopefully with competent writing this time

CloudSolace

I got on the Uncharted bandwagon too late and tried playing the first one, but didn't like it much. I own the Collection, 4, and Lost Legacy. I guess I need to get my ass to playing those games.

V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
I think it would be cool to get a game with Sam as the main character.

brap

Banned
ugh generic white males
ugh
hqdefault.jpg

brap

Banned
Correct me if I'm wrong but, aren't all of the Uncharted games just one big OH SHIT EVERYTHING IS FALLING APART? They have literally jumped the shark before multiple times.

Didn't Drake and some dude get their ass beat horrible by a stronk 130lbs woman?
Umm sweatiey she's a POC and knows karate or something. I never played the game and I really don't want to. He's always beating up dudes then gets his ass handed to him multiple times by le sassy stronk blak womyn.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Umm sweatiey she's a POC and knows karate or something. I never played the game and I really don't want to. He's always beating up dudes then gets his ass handed to him multiple times by le sassy stronk blak womyn.
Fuck. That's right. I need to become more woke!

I want a prequel in the late 70’s or early 80’s with Sully and Cutter.

Hell yes, a game starring a young Sully would be amazing, he's always been my favorite character of the series by far anyway.

Alternatively it wouldn't need to be a prequel, the end of 4 made mention of Sully and Sam going off to do something in South America, maybe a 5th game could be about them?

Nathan Drake's story is over, it would be dumb to make another game starring him, but LL has already proved you can easily make an Uncharted game without him, so why not keep the series itself going?

nowhat

LL has already proved you can easily make an Uncharted game without him, so why not keep the series itself going?
Hasn't it already been almost confirmed that the yet unnamed new Sony studio is working on an Uncharted game?

But agreed, the story of Nathan Drake is over. He had a good run, but short of a reboot I can't see him in the main role.

Hell yes, a game starring a young Sully would be amazing, he's always been my favorite character of the series by far anyway.

Alternatively it wouldn't need to be a prequel, the end of 4 made mention of Sully and Sam going off to do something in South America, maybe a 5th game could be about them?

Nathan Drake's story is over, it would be dumb to make another game starring him, but LL has already proved you can easily make an Uncharted game without him, so why not keep the series itself going?
Can you imagine a young Sully’s toxic masculinity... the horror!
Day one!

I'm pretty sure the next Uncharted game will feature Cassie as the main protagonist with her lesbian afroamerican friend as the sidekick. ;)

The only weird thing about a Cassie game would be it'd have to be set in the future and sci fi might be a weird addition for the series.

Granted it wouldn't have to play a big role but it'd be weird if they ignored the fact that it'd be taking place in the future entirely.

We got Lost Legacy at least, which was great.

It was and it's already proven you don't need Nathan Drake to make a good Uncharted game, so there's no reason not to make a 5.

Von Hugh

Having played all of the Uncharted games, I'm fine with not getting a 5. The gameplay is starting to show its age, it's time to move on to other things. I hope Naughty Dog is thinking the same.

Yeah best to just have the series stay finished, especially with how crappy 4 was. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed a number of parts of it but the ending was so bad, the second half really..
I'd rather ND move on to something else, hopefully with competent writing this time
Please don't.
As a fan of the series, 4 missed the mark for me. What a boring game that was.
Just leave the series as it is and create something new. Last of Us came out alright didnt it?

UC4 was the worst in all ways. A 5 probably would suffer even more. UC isnt the only 3rd person game with meh gameplay, when theres gameplay.

scalman

Prequel would be nice sure but im curious so after tlou2 what they will do next? And how long we will wait for new stuff. They said now they could do new games faster...do they?

Correct me if I'm wrong but, aren't all of the Uncharted games just one big OH SHIT EVERYTHING IS FALLING APART? They have literally jumped the shark before multiple times.

Didn't Drake and some dude get their ass beat horrible by a stronk 130lbs woman?

It's fiction, it's fun, and I can accept it as that. But yeah, there's a reality to this sort of thing that is just more entertaining if you don't think about it.

nani17

are in a big trouble
If there's another game it's probably going to be a prequel or about Nathan's daughter and of course he'll make an appearance

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Yeah, those 300 lbp British honks Drake beats in Uncharted 3 left and right ain't got nothing against Nadine mate.

hunthunt

Banned
Everyone would love a early 70's Uncharted with Sully as a mature womanizer antihero fighting against dictators in southamerica while he loot their treasures and gold.

But yeah, thars not going to happen sadly.

zcaa0g

Banned
They could still do an Uncharted
5 with Nathan where Nathan's wife and daughter are kidnapped by evil man #5 (Jason Statham) who forces him to globe hop for rare artifacts in order to get them back. Call it Uncharted 5: The Resurrection.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

I'm sure that there'll be another Uncharted game, just like I'm sure there'll be move Marvel movies after Endgame. If it can make lots of money, they'll make it. The question is will Nolan North be in it? 4 does seem to suggest Nate is done, but Sully and Sam are still game and so are Chloe and Nadine, there's more than enough there to make a great Uncharted game. Lost Legacy was pretty damn good and pretty long too, it was almost Uncharted 5 in a way.

Chloe is a great character, I wouldn't mind her leading the next Uncharted games.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Uncharted 1 was great.
Uncharted 2 was a masterpiece.
Uncharted 3 was a bit dull.
Uncharted 4 was utterly terrible.

You can see where I’m going with this...

As much as I want the world to stay alive.... Just leave it be. Maybe in a decade when the PS6 comes around launch it as a new title to show off your system and go back to the original style. But right now, j really wouldnt trust them to make a fifth that captures the original spirit. 4, for all its gorgeous visuals, was just dull as dishwater water.

Fox Mulder

Uncharted was big, Sony would be dumb to end it even if ND moves on. They're making a movie now too.

I didn't like UC4 but they can do prequels or games with some of the other side characters. I'd think they'd be pressured to do some future game with the kid grown up though, which could be a bit dumb for me set like a decade or more in the future.

I loved my uncharted games with monsters and shooting. UC2 was the best. The later games significantly slowed down the pace for story and dropped the monsters completely.

Last edited:
Top Bottom