• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F-Zero GX producer reveals he’s open to working on a new instalment

Bullet Club

F-Zero GX producer reveals he’s open to working on a new instalment​

Nagoshi still has “a great deal of affection” for the 2003 racer

Sega’s chief creative officer Toshihiro Nagoshi has said he’d be open to working on a new F-Zero game in collaboration with Nintendo.

As reported by Nintendo Everything, Nagoshi – who was the producer of 2003’s F-Zero GX – told the French Red Bull website that he still had “a great deal of affection” for the GameCube racer.

If he were to work on another instalment, the Yakuza and Super Monkey Ball creator said he would maintain GX’s infamous difficulty, to differentiate it from Nintendo’s other premier racing series, Mario Kart.

“Putting aside the possibility of this happening, I must admit that I have a great deal of affection for F-Zero GX,” the designer said.

“If the opportunity presented itself, I wouldn’t be against it. And in this case, I would like to make a game with challenge. I’m assuming that if Nintendo just wants a ‘fun and accessible’ racing game, they already have Mario Kart for that.”

Nintendo hasn’t released a mainline F-Zero game since Game Boy Advance’s F-Zero Climax in 2004, though the series remains popular with fans.

In the past, Nintendo has suggested that any future F-Zero instalments would be dependent on hardware innovations that could power compelling concepts for a new game.

In 2012, Nintendo director Shigeru Miyamoto told Edge magazine: “I think at the time [F-Zero] was a really big surprise, a new thing, a product that made sense,” adding that the Wii and DS lacked the potential to create a similar impact.

In a 2015 interview with Smosh Games, Miyamoto stated that a new instalment in the franchise could be possible if Nintendo developed a unique controller interface.

“Maybe if we create a new type of controller interface, and we find a controller interface that’s particularly suited for F-Zero, then maybe we’ll do something with it again in the future,” he said. The interview pre-dated the launch of Nintendo Switch.

Takaya Imamura, the original designer of F-Zero, hasn’t been credited in a game release since 2016’s Star Fox Zero.

In 2019, Nintendo president Shuntaro Furukawa acknowledged fan demand to expand its Nintendo Switch Online titles to consoles such as N64 and GameCube.

Asked specifically if the company had plans to re-release software from the two consoles, the president said:

“At this place, we cannot tell new information about future classic hardware among others, but we are thinking about providing an extension of the online service which is currently providing Famicom [NES] software, as well as other methods of providing them.

“We also recognise that there are opinions wanting to play past titles.”

Source: VGC

do it GIF by Breaking Bad

Alexios

Banned
It's not like they can't do their own sci fi racer with zany speed racer esque characters if Nintendo refuse the offer to collab again. SEGA doesn't even (properly, not with some low budget retread/cash in) continue (or at least re-release ffs) their own racing (and so many other genre) series to start caring about Nintendo's though.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
i actually playing this via Dolphin emulator GC, and i agreed is a Amazing Game.

I want another F-ZERO

Last edited:
Since he recycled some animations from Spikeout for the underground fighting in Yakuza games, he might as well give us a new Spikeout Battlestreet!

Neff

I'll always defend Miyamoto being Miyamoto, but his pursuit of novelty for novelty's sake doesn't always result in gold, nor does it do justice to languishing franchises in this case. It's perfectly acceptable, and sometimes ideal, to make a sequel which is basically just more of the same while being slicker, prettier, and just really fucking good.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I am sure he is.

Nintendo isn't though
I'll always defend Miyamoto being Miyamoto, but his pursuit of novelty for novelty's sake doesn't always result in gold, nor does it do justice to languishing franchises in this case. It's perfectly acceptable, and sometimes ideal, to make a sequel which is basically just more of the same while being slicker, prettier, and just really fucking good.
The big issue is that GX bombed

Alexios

Banned
It's not like they can't do their own sci fi racer with zany speed racer esque characters if Nintendo refuse the offer to collab again. SEGA doesn't even (properly, not with some low budget retread/cash in) continue (or at least re-release ffs) their own racing (and so many other genre) series to start caring about Nintendo's though.
They even have an existing IP/base to update to GX levels of ballstothewall (just randomly remembered)

Last edited:

Miles708

I remember reading about how Miyamoto regretted Nintendo collaborating with Sega on the game, because they should have done it 100% internally instead.
Is this true or only a rumor?

Spaceman292

Banned

F-Zero GX producer reveals he’s open to working on a new instalment​

Nagoshi still has “a great deal of affection” for the 2003 racer

Sega’s chief creative officer Toshihiro Nagoshi has said he’d be open to working on a new F-Zero game in collaboration with Nintendo.

As reported by Nintendo Everything, Nagoshi – who was the producer of 2003’s F-Zero GX – told the French Red Bull website that he still had “a great deal of affection” for the GameCube racer.

If he were to work on another instalment, the Yakuza and Super Monkey Ball creator said he would maintain GX’s infamous difficulty, to differentiate it from Nintendo’s other premier racing series, Mario Kart.

“Putting aside the possibility of this happening, I must admit that I have a great deal of affection for F-Zero GX,” the designer said.

“If the opportunity presented itself, I wouldn’t be against it. And in this case, I would like to make a game with challenge. I’m assuming that if Nintendo just wants a ‘fun and accessible’ racing game, they already have Mario Kart for that.”

Nintendo hasn’t released a mainline F-Zero game since Game Boy Advance’s F-Zero Climax in 2004, though the series remains popular with fans.

In the past, Nintendo has suggested that any future F-Zero instalments would be dependent on hardware innovations that could power compelling concepts for a new game.

In 2012, Nintendo director Shigeru Miyamoto told Edge magazine: “I think at the time [F-Zero] was a really big surprise, a new thing, a product that made sense,” adding that the Wii and DS lacked the potential to create a similar impact.

In a 2015 interview with Smosh Games, Miyamoto stated that a new instalment in the franchise could be possible if Nintendo developed a unique controller interface.

“Maybe if we create a new type of controller interface, and we find a controller interface that’s particularly suited for F-Zero, then maybe we’ll do something with it again in the future,” he said. The interview pre-dated the launch of Nintendo Switch.

Takaya Imamura, the original designer of F-Zero, hasn’t been credited in a game release since 2016’s Star Fox Zero.

In 2019, Nintendo president Shuntaro Furukawa acknowledged fan demand to expand its Nintendo Switch Online titles to consoles such as N64 and GameCube.

Asked specifically if the company had plans to re-release software from the two consoles, the president said:

“At this place, we cannot tell new information about future classic hardware among others, but we are thinking about providing an extension of the online service which is currently providing Famicom [NES] software, as well as other methods of providing them.

“We also recognise that there are opinions wanting to play past titles.”

Source: VGC
tldr
"A new game would be cool, right?"
"Yeah."

Last edited:

Woman7

Banned
Make it like The Last of Us.

Over-the-shoulder Dramatic Driving.

Yeah, lots of blood, violence, steroid use, a rape scene featuring Black Bull, a tranny cup, lots of shocking revelations "Captain Falcon was straight all along!", "Samurai Goroh had 2 miscarriagies!?", and replace all the songs with moody singer-songwriter stuff.

Please Nintendo.

johnny cash nin GIF by Maudit

Komatsu

For Nintendo that is a bomb.

No, it isn't. The bestselling Game Cube game of all time barely cracked 7 million units moved. GX sold more than Pikimin, Mario Party 5, REmake, etc. It's the 15th bestselling game on the system, which had a small player base.

Last edited:

Alexios

Banned
No, it isn't. The bestselling Game Cube game of all time barely cracked 7 million units moved. GX sold more than Pikimin, Mario Kart 5, REmake, etc. It's the 15th bestselling game on the system, which had a small player base.
Er, where are you getting your numbers, it most definitely didn't sell anywhere near as much as Mario Kart: Double Dash!! which is the 4th one. The 5th one is the DS one (which naturally did gangbusters). Pikmin likely did around the same or more rather than less.

Last edited:

Komatsu

Er, where are you getting your numbers, it most definitely didn't sell anywhere near as much as Mario Kart: Double Dash!! which is the 4th one. The 5th one is the DS one (which naturally did gangbusters). Pikmin likely did around the same or more rather than less.

I meant Mario Party 5 - slip of the finger.

As for Pikmin, there's no "likely" here. It sold less than F-Zero GX by about 300k units, as it sold 500k in Japan and 680k in the United States/West.

Last edited:

GodofWhimsy

Tried playing GX for the first time last week, and wow that is not an entry level racer. I could tell it was awesome stuff, but I think I'll stick to Mario Kart if I ever feel like a racing game.

I prefer the less demanding things these days. Hope y'all F-Zero fans get your new entry 👍

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
GX is a fucking masterpiece. Though I hope the art direction gets a re-working by way of Android Jones. The Pastel character style looks dated IMO.

Top Bottom