• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable In “Flighting Test” Stage Of Development At Playground Games

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
I believe I can fly

Fable-Reboot-ForzaTech-Engine-Playground.jpg

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Checked his LinkedIn and Fable is his first project. This doesn't instill confidence in me. I hope I'm wrong.

Why couldn't they give this game to more experienced and established people?
who? those people dont grow on trees

quest

Not Banned from OT
Checked his LinkedIn and Fable is his first project. This doesn't instill confidence in me. I hope I'm wrong.

Why? If one of the most consistent studios out there pitches a project it's best to say yes. The pitch was a win for Microsoft they get a great studio to add a team and makes the purchase that much better. This is not 343 who had issues for years. Playground is like the mailman they just deliver the goods.

kuncol02

Banned
All AAA mainstream, blockbuster games take at least 3 years to be made (if they have the base done - see HFW, GOWR, SP2) and at least 5 years if they are done by a new created team (with ongoing hiring). If a studio doesn't announce anything for 3 years, everyone starts to think is gone, dead. They need to show they have projects on the roadmap to show people they are working at something. They bad thing is they show people that they are working sometimes before the start ideation....
Even you examples are 4-5 years and that's assuming that preproduction for sequels didn't started before first one was released.

I just think this industry practice of announcing games, some times almost half a decade before they will come out is fucking stupid.
It's not announced for players but for developers (mainly). It's simply part of hiring proces, especially when your team is new, changing genres or require substantial increase in workforce. In case of Fable also everyone already knew that they are working on Fable, so that was only confirmation of previous rumors.

As someone who disliked, but finished, Fable 1, hated (but finished) Fable 2 and refused to play Fable 3, I find myself hopeful for this game.

It's a new team, that has put out quality games. I just hope they don't feel the need to lean on the bathroom humor of the originals. I good modern AAA adventure RPG could be great.

yurinka

WHats flighting test stage? at what point does this usually happen?
It's closed testing of the first playable portions/areas of the game, still in a early stages, with the game in a rough state. Made to see if the game goes in the right direction, to see if they spot some major issue, if there is something too frustrating or difficult to understand, etc.

This is normally made years before releasing the game. I think that a 2025 or maybe even 2026 release is likely. I wouldn't bet for a very late 2024 release, but not impossible.

Spiderman development began in 2014 and was released in 2018. The announcement for Spiderman came out during E3 2016 and again, released in 2018. - 4 years development

Spiderman 2 was announced in 2021 and is scheduled to release in 2023. Development probably began prior to the release of Spiderman, but we will say 2018. - 5 years development.

Fable was announced too soon, sure. But 5-6 year development times are becoming the norm for next-gen titles.
Spider-Man 2 is confirmed to have the lead team from Spider-Man 1. This is one team.

Wolverine is confirmed to have the lead team from Miles Morales. This is a second team.

Then they have the Ratchet: Rift Apart team.

Then they also have smaller team who released AR/VR experiments.

These teams aren't isolated, clearly differentiated tracks: they often help each other or move some people from a team to another as needed in each project. But they have at least 3 games under development at the same time.

Last edited:

samoilaaa

this will just be another GAAS , im not interested at all , they can say that you can play single player as much as they want , the game mechanics will be made to benefit the online component of the game
oh and dont forget about this https://boundingintocomics.com/2022...-the-series-forward-for-todays-sensibilities/

so you can forget about all the nasty humour fable once had , you can make jokes as long as you dont insult anyone or any category of people

Last edited:
It's closed testing of the first playable portions/areas of the game, still in a early stages, with the game in a rough state. Made to see if the game goes in the right direction, to see if they spot some major issue, if there is something too frustrating or difficult to understand, etc.

This is normally made years before releasing the game. I think that a 2025 or maybe even 2026 release is likely. I wouldn't bet for a very late 2024 release, but not impossible.

Spider-Man 2 is confirmed to have the lead team from Spider-Man 1. This is one team.

Wolverine is confirmed to have the lead team from Miles Morales. This is a second team.

Then they have the Ratchet: Rift Apart team.

Then they also have smaller team who released AR/VR experiments.

These teams aren't isolated, clearly differentiated tracks: they often help each other or move some people from a team to another as needed in each project. But they have at least 3 games under development at the same time.
Ok so you're simply proving my point.

Kvally

Banned

1. Senior Producer Amie Spuddles (formerly of Lionhead/Fable)
  2. Narrative Lead Anna Megill (Control, Guild Wars, Avatar, Dishonored, Murdered Soul Suspect, Zelda, and more)
  3. Chief Engineer David Springate (Lego Games, Sonic, Dirt)
  4. Principal Game Designer Herve Gengler (Crew, Dishonored, Fly'N)
  5. Principal Game Designer Grant Orban (all Forza Horizon games)
  6. Lead VFX Brian Merrill (Read at Dawn, The Order 1886)
  7. Lead Rendering Engineer Kostas Anagnostou (Kameo, Conker, Perfect Dark Zero, Crayta)
They also have hired people from Guerilla Games, Ninja Theory, EA, BioWare, Rockstead, Bungie and EA.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Sounds like a fall 2024 game. Development seems to be moving forward quite nicely contrarily to what these "insiders" have apparently heard from their friends cousin's uncle who knows someone at MS.

Isn't this supposed to be a big open-world game? If so, I'll say early to mid-2025 for the release.

fermcr

This looks like good news. Game will likely release in the next year or so...

Maybe they will release it in 2024, the 20th anniversary of the original Fable game.

Last edited:

Bergoglio

At what stage of development does it go into flight testing? Wasn't Turn 10 at this stage during 2021? I'm afraid Fable won't come out until June 2025.

Spiderman - PS4
Spiderman MM - DLC
Spiderman 2 - Straight sequel coming out 5 years after original. Which would be the same amount of time Fable would have taken.

You didn't use your brain before posting did you?
oh you know the release date of Fable already?

Post it here!

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
  2. Narrative Lead Anna Megill (Control, Guild Wars, Avatar, Dishonored, Murdered Soul Suspect, Zelda, and more)
  7. Lead Rendering Engineer Kostas Anagnostou (Kameo, Conker, Perfect Dark Zero, Crayta)
They also have hired people from Guerilla Games, Ninja Theory, EA, BioWare, Rockstead, Bungie and EA.
Hol'd up Playground games snagged Brian Merrill to do VFX on Fable?

Ohh now we cooking with gas
C8Hj4Oi.gif

TLZ

Banned
This sounds much better. Thanks.

phant0m

No Molyneux,no buy.

This is a terrible take lol. He hasn’t done anything relevant in nearly a decade, and tbh even before that was overrated. The last thing he did at Lionhead was the train wreck of Fable: The Journey and the defunct Milo project

I'm guessing:

• Hellblade II - Spring 2024
  • Avowed - Summer 2024
  • Fable - Holiday 2024

Still wild to me that games teased for XSX prior to the launch of the console still aren’t out and won’t be until basically halfway through the gen.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
That is probably the most insanely word-salady Linked-in I've ever seen for someone working a relatively low-level position in gaming!

Not saying that to be mean, Associate QA technician just isn't that significant a role.

yurinka

Spiderman - PS4
Spiderman MM - DLC
Spiderman 2 - Straight sequel coming out 5 years after original. Which would be the same amount of time Fable would have taken.

You didn't use your brain before posting did you?
It's funny to see someone saying that Miles Morales is a DLC and asking other people to use their brain. Btw, Insomniac also released Ratchet, Spider-Man DLCs and its remaster. Plus supported Nixxes to port its two Spider-Man games to PC.

The Spider-Man Miles Morales team is working on Wolverine, which pretty likely will be released next year.

Last edited:
Why? If one of the most consistent studios out there pitches a project it's best to say yes. The pitch was a win for Microsoft they get a great studio to add a team and makes the purchase that much better. This is not 343 who had issues for years. Playground is like the mailman they just deliver the goods.

Their output is consistently great, indeed. Glad they were able to branch out, though I would have liked for them to pitch a new IP instead. I do however understand that jumping from an arcade racer to an action RPG is so big, that you would not necessarily want to tackle the extra difficulties of wrestling with an "unknown" quantity. It makes perfect sense...😀

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
A flighting test now makes me very optimistic for a 2024 release.

I'm guessing:

• Hellblade II - Spring 2024
  • Avowed - Summer 2024
  • Fable - Holiday 2024

Fighting test stage is just one part of a game mechanic by combat designers. This can be done in white box stage (very early stage). It doesn’t say much about the state of the rest of the game because they use test environments for this, and mostly place holder assets.

Last edited:
Top Bottom