• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fake GBA Metroid cartridges, yes or nah?

SegaShack

Oh well. Deal felt for the GBA SP i was about to get, 😤. Hoping i can find one at good price, really want to play these GBA games before Dread! I could still hook up my NES Classic with the GBA games in it, but wont feel the authencity of playing it small sized on the GBA for best resolution.

Wii U could be an alternative for sure, but i dont want to grab back this system. Got rid of it a few months ago, really dont plan to buy one back just for that.

Pretty sure ill see one back for sale at the right price soon. Just suck i thought it was a done deal for tomorrow.
Just pickup a Wii for cheap and mod it. You can install the VBA GX emulator on it and play GBA/GB/GBC games.

Wii can literally play every Nintendo console up until Gamecube (can even play Gamecube ISOs). Lots of emus for 2D Sega, Arcade, and Turbografx as well.

Wii's still go for cheap too.

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

I've now recently become obsessed with these

Just bought the RG351M, arriving tomorrow can't wait! might buy the V model or the RG350 as well for the 4:3 aspect ratio and that nice screen.
need to test out the 351 first.

Ryu Kaiba

I'd go for flash cart. You are looking at roughly $100 but you can have everything. It's worth it.

I do have a few bootlegs but for stuff that didn't get releases like Mother 1+2 and Mother 3. They look professional, I played all 3 to completition and they still work to this day. If you have to go the bootleg route, they are mostly fine.
Don't get a GBA, there isn't a single model out there with a decent screen.

To play GBA, the best option is the Wii U GamePad. Digital games are available on the store, so you will get the right price for such an old game.
So is the everdrive the best flash cart you can get? I was going to get a gameboy and one of these for a friend.
Oh well. Deal felt for the GBA SP i was about to get, 😤. Hoping i can find one at good price, really want to play these GBA games before Dread! I could still hook up my NES Classic with the GBA games in it, but wont feel the authencity of playing it small sized on the GBA for best resolution.

Wii U could be an alternative for sure, but i dont want to grab back this system. Got rid of it a few months ago, really dont plan to buy one back just for that.

Pretty sure ill see one back for sale at the right price soon. Just suck i thought it was a done deal for tomorrow.
You guys should check out these bad boys I only just discovered them but if you're looking for a good way to play classic games these seem like the sure fire solution

Ryu Kaiba

Does it play GC, Wii and Wii U games ?
This is oriented towards anything beneath that, but I can do that on my tablet and with a bluetooth gamecube controller to boot. So I suspect devices like this will be capable of that before long. There are things like the AYA Neo and the One X player that are basically handheld windows gaming laptops that can, but they are substantially higher in price.

Last edited:

cireza

This is oriented towards anything beneath that, but I can do that on my tablet and with a bluetooth gamecube controller to boot. So I suspect devices like this will be capable of that before long. There are things like the AYA Neo and the One X player that are basically handheld windows gaming laptops that can, but they are substantially higher in price.
My Wii U does all of this and cost 100$. I am good.

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

My Wii U does all of this and cost 100$. I am good.
Yeah WiiU is a great machine for that, I wanted one at one time for the massive Nintendo library it supports but decided I needed something with a bit more range. But that would still be nice to have.

cireza

Game in GBA VC still dark, is it true?
They look fine to me. It is natural to put a darkening filter, as these games were created with a very high contrast to compensate for the poor screen the GBA had.
The filter is well done and mitigate the issue pretty well in my opinion.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
They look fine to me. It is natural to put a darkening filter, as these games were created with a very high contrast to compensate for the poor screen the GBA had.
The filter is well done and mitigate the issue pretty well in my opinion.
what you need is a POCO F3 pro with a razer kishi .
up to 3ds support in handheld form

Last edited:

cireza

It depends. Is it less than 100$ ? Does it have the great ergonomics of the GamePad ? Can it play on TV as well ?

The only problem of the Wii U is that it is not a handheld. If you don't plan on taking your console everywhere, it does everything perfectly for an unbeatable price.

Last edited:

Spukc

It depends. Is it less than 100$ ? Does it have the great ergonomics of the GamePad ? Can it play on TV as well ?

The only problem of the Wii U is that it is not a handheld. If you don't plan on taking your console everywhere, it does everything perfectly for an unbeatable price.
Not sure the POCO f3 does video out.. I think Poco phones do something weir to their usb c ports. (licencing bs)
ergonomics with the kishi is solid obv. If you want a powerful handheld emulator for around 300 i think this is the best pick.

Obviously a wii U is not to be compared as it's not really portable,(great emulation box tho) Besides that i would always pick a refurbished company pc from ebay for zip. For ps3 emulation etc.

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

I'm a man of aesthetics and not fond of the way the razor Kishi looks wrapped around a phone.
I do have a kickstand on my phone case and a 3Bitdo Bluetooth controller and that works pretty nicely.

Spukc

I'm a man of aesthetics and not fond of the way the razor Kishi looks wrapped around a phone.
I do have a kickstand on my phone case and a 3Bitdo Bluetooth controller and that works pretty nicely.
i picked the kishi only because it's connected by USB-c
android and BT latency wise it pretty shit

yrcmlived

Neo Member

yep but you need to download the emulator, spend time to tuning it, dump your game etc etc etc
Wii U is more reliable, turn one, buy a game if you don't have it, play

Spukc

yep but you need to download the emulator, spend time to tuning it, dump your game etc etc etc
Wii U is more reliable, turn one, buy a game if you don't have it, play
it's a different thing imo
if you want a cheap alternative up to neogeo def pick up a new 2ds/3ds small
the screen resolution is basically 240p. Giving you true to life scanlines in 16 bit gen games.
I can not push enough how crisp those games look with real scanlines. On a small new 3ds.

Only the fpga based analogue pocket will come close soon. ish

Last edited:
Top Bottom