• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 76 data miner banned after reporting exploits to Bethesda.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Fallout 76 seems to be a neverending mess. Considering Bethesda's history of releasing bugged games, it was only a matter of time before the community started testing exploits on their own, with a portion reporting glitches in hopes they would get fixed. However, these cases often ended up with ban hammer slapped over those who reported the problems.

This was the case with the person behind Map 76, an interactive map project for Fallout 76. The person behind the website was also working on finding exploits, reporting them and ultimately having them fixed. The website was closed recently, after a month of unsuccessful attempts by the owner to get their account reinstated.
Apparently, there was a glitch that was not known to Bethesda where players would abuse The Purveyor vendor's currency. Instead of hard-earned scrip, the exploiters were able to use regular bottle caps in order to acquire Legendary items. Map 76 owner caught onto the exploit after noticing players were running around with great gear rolls, too soon into their release to be an accident.

After thorough testing, they were about to report the issue to the designated community manager but someone on their team had already done so. Map 76 owner's account was permanently banned the day after.

Bethesda tried to mitigate the backlash by a statement of their own . While it says that Bethesda are not banning players who report exploits, provided they don't continue to do so after reporting it, the evidence contradicts those words. The person behind Map 76 was too well-known for running these tests for Bethesda not to be aware of them and they apparently had a Bethesda community manager that they reported to in their group.

The statement continues with condemnation of anyone who "used third-party software to take advantage of an exploit usually in excess of hundreds of times" which is a rather odd point of non-discrimination. While cheaters certainly use third-party software to exploit issues, so do the testers who are trying to expose them.

Technically, Bethesda are in their right to suspend accounts using third-party software such as Cheat Engine but that undoubtedly cripples the community's ability to detect issues. The company is essentially preventing the community from detecting issues the developers themselves can't put an end to. It's almost as if they aren't aware of the white hat concept, despite being in contact with such community members.

jadedm17

Great first posts.
Yea this game keeps giving.
And i agree : Even if it was just mediocre non buggy garbage the options to play otherwise are still too great. (Same sentiment for Destiny 2.)

HelpYouFall

UnkemptOffensiveEmeraldtreeskink-max-1mb.gif

Kev Kev

i sunk 30 something hours into this, and the only reason i made it that far is because i ignored all the online stuff as much as i could and just played he game single player like i did in fall out 4.... and i feel it was almost worth $30... but not quite worth it. the bugs and glitches were terrible, like the worst ive ever experienced in any game... ever. and the online stuff wasnt even worth fucking with. after walking away from it and going back to fallout 4 to scratch that fallout itch i realized how fucking terrible 76 was.

did it really get any better? i cant imagine people still playing this if it didnt drastically improve (and it was so bad i couldnt imagine there being that drastic of an improvement).

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
glad EA is still around.
make them look like fucking platinum games and kojima had a baby compared to bethesda

shaddam

I wish I could be able to make a twitter bot. Everytime somebody tweet something hype about starfield it would link a random gaf fallout 76 topic to him.

Barakov

Fallout 76 has a real chance of being one of the biggest fuck ups in the 2010's that could end up being one of the biggest fuck ups of the 2020's.

TacosNSalsa

Fallout 76 has a real chance of being one of the biggest fuck ups in the 2010's that could end up being one of the biggest fuck ups of the 2020's.
Honestly, you could make a case for one of the biggest f*ckups in gaming period . There is a new glitch that surfaced recently where your character is treated as a container and someone can steal your entire inventory from 10 meters away or so . They dont even have to get close to you

Last edited:

anthraticus

Banned
Hey if you'd be a little more open minded then maybe some wouldn't have to bash comments like yours.
There was a time I was a fan, but for me the true Bethesda died after Lefay and Peterson left and Toddler & Rolston became project leaders.

And having comments bashed by casuals/popamolers is prob a good thing. It's like reading an IGN review or some mainstream site bashing a game cause it' too difficult/obtuse/'archaic'....meanwhile those are prob the types of games I'm looking for, meanwhile they just want stuff they can jump right into, follow the idiot compasses/markers, hit a few awesome action buttons and call it a day.
Ok boomer
Kids and their buzz words these days.

iRgsL9.jpg

Fallout 4 was my first Fallout and I LOVED it. Problem?

And fuck Bethesda, of course.
You seem confused.

Last edited:

LOLCats

Banned
I'm talking about the real Fallout fans, not the Bethtards who came to thes series with 3.

Ok boomer

is that really the correct context for that phrase? Or you're just so excited to have a retort when you perceive you're talking to someone older than you, you just have to get it out... In my opinion though, its better to be a boomer than a pussy soy-boy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom