• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famicom Detective Club |OT| The Missing Heir & The Girl Who Stands Behind

Andyliini

B7Pwk6I.jpg

Platform: Nintendo Switch
Release date: May 14th 2021
Developer: MAGES
Publisher: Nintendo
Availabe in digital format only outside of Japan.

Overview
The lost Nintendo classics from Famicom-era are back! Exprerience a chilling murder mystery while you interact with many unforgettable caharacters in feudal Japan. Explore the scenery, make notes, question witnesses and suspects with your loyal assistant Ayumi Tachibana in The Missing Heir, while trying to recover your own memories. Or travel back five years and unravel the mystery of a high school rumour of a girl who only appears behind you in certain situations.

Characters
2OAzY1u.png

Cast

Directed By Satoru Okada
photo06.jpg

Written By Yoshio Sakamoto
images

Music By Kenji Yamamoto:
693-1517635742.jpg

Reviews

Metacritic: 74 (both games)
OpenCritic: Strong

NintendoLife: 8/10

The Famicom Detective Club remakes are living history, and a chance to catch up on what you missed out on, either by being too young, or not being able to speak Japanese. Though The Missing Heir has its faults, those faults are largely down to "that's just how games used to be", and it's held up remarkably well all the same.

Destructoid: 7/10 & 7,5/10

I was worried both of these games would only be considered good from a historic standpoint, that they would be celebrated solely due to their longstanding absence outside of Japan. But thankfully, both Famicom Detective Club games stand on their own even thirty years after their initial release. These are two beautiful, gripping games that show the timelessness of a well-written mystery.

Metro Gaming: 6/10
An interesting historical curio that has its charms, and some surprisingly good storytelling, but the old school gameplay and very modern pricing are not a good combination.

Media

Overview trailer:

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Warning to anyone looking to import this for the physical copy, as far as I can tell there's no way to switch to English. Kind of absurd considering Nintendo Switch releases so far have been simultaneous worldwide with support for most languages. My Japanese is solid, so I'll get by, but was definitely expecting English support.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Bought it yesterday, found it a lot trickier to buy than it should be. Directed (web store) from the eShop to the store, to buy a digital download code I had to then redeem on the web eShop?!?

xUK9fay.jpg

5VVdEi7.jpg
st2F9Hh.png

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I have no clue why this game had this convoluted process to get the digital download anyways. Maybe if I had tried on the console… dunno. That was the only way I was able to get it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom