• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu report on Japanese game market for first half of 2012

Bladenic

Damn, I don't believe I've noticed how awful the three home console systems have all performed in Japan. Handheld gaming indeed.

Alrus

It had a much better start/FW than any Musou game before, so it's all about the end result. And it's the best selling Musou game this generation.

Actually there have been a few (edit: or only one? Not sure if the first Samurai Warriors started higher or not) musou games that started higher during the PS2 era, before the genre fell off a cliff. But yeah, the game was a huge success still.

kswiston

Looks like the 3DS won't struggle to reach the Wii userbase. DS on the other hand...

Wii's userbase is horrible compared to past "lead" consoles. Passing the Wii's LTD is not much of an accomplishment since every major handheld has done so. Even if it doesn't reach DS levels, 3DS would be a great success if it gets into the 25M range. It looks set to do so unless this handheld generation is shorter than the last.

Only 1 PS3 game has sold over a million copies in Japan

Final Fantasy XIII 1,904,313

Resident Evil 5 is not that far from 1M if you total the different PS3 versions. Same with Metal Gear Solid 4. Both are over 900k

Unless something has changed, I think the third party console 1M+ club still consists of only Final Fantasy XIII and Monster Hunter 3 this gen.

mclem

Indeed the second screen really enhances an RPG experience.

Well, it *can* . Hasn't really had all that much effect in Tales of the Abyss, though. But then you have Etrian Odyssey, which uses the second screen to devestatingly effective, uh, effect.

Damn, I don't believe I've noticed how awful the three home console systems have all performed in Japan. Handheld gaming indeed.
Three? It may have dropped off massively due to lack of support, but the Wii didn't underperform in the least.

Truth101

Banned
In Japan I don't see the 3DS having any trouble reachingDS levels.

As we can already see the 3DS is stealing away the PSP userbase. The effect will only grow more apparent as time passes.

Well, it *can* . Hasn't really had all that much effect in Tales of the Abyss, though. But then you have Etrian Odyssey, which uses the second screen to devestatingly effective, uh, effect.

Three? It may have dropped off massively due to lack of support, but the Wii didn't underperform in the least.

Just having a second screen for inventory management, battle commands, and maps/menus is 1000x better than what one screen offers.

Glass Rebel

Wii's userbase is horrible compared to past "lead" consoles. Passing the Wii's LTD is not much of an accomplishment since every major handheld has done so. Even if it doesn't reach DS levels, 3DS would be a great success if it gets into the 25M range. It looks set to do so unless this handheld generation is shorter than the last.

Oh no doubt, I was just comparing it to Nintendo's last gen systems.

The way it's been selling I assume it'll also pass PSP which should be the lowest Nintendo should be aiming at IMO.

Bruno MB

There will never be another NDS.

3DS will sell extremely well (+25m) but NDS will always remain unreachable.

mclem

Just having a second screen for inventory management, battle commands, and maps/menus is 1000x better than what one screen offers.

Absolutely. Tales of the Abyss, however, throws a map on there. And some buttons in combat.

Devs need to use it properly!

kswiston

Wii sold worse than the NES, SNES, PS1, and PS2. In the end it also won't be all that much higher than the PS3 (I am guessing something like 13M to 10M). Considering its start, I don't see how you can say that the console didn't underperform. It went from being the fastest selling console in history to not reaching 60% of the PS2's LTD number.

Oh no doubt, I was just comparing it to Nintendo's last gen systems.

The way it's been selling I assume it'll also pass PSP which should be the lowest Nintendo should be aiming at IMO.

I agree. Assuming the PSP stops somewhere around 20M, the 3DS should be able to catch up in another 2-3 years at its current rate.

Metallix87

There will never be another NDS.

3DS will sell extremely well (+25m) but NDS will always remain unreachable.

Never say never. With Monster Hunter seemingly going 3DS exclusive, I imagine a lot of the PSP's user base will go to 3DS in Japan. I think it could surprise us, especially if the software support keeps getting better and better, which seems logical at this point.

Will MS even bother to release their console in Japan next time? It's not like Japanese support is a big deal anymore when you consider this output this gen..

Metallix87

Will MS even bother to release their console in Japan next time? It's not like Japanese support is a big deal anymore when you consider this output this gen..

Considering the 360 is doing much better than the Xbox in that region, I imagine they not only will release a console there, but will likely have a better strategy for marketing their platform in that region.

GoldenIL

Neo Member
Considering the 360 is doing much better than the Xbox in that region, I imagine they not only will release a console there, but will likely have a better strategy for marketing their platform in that region.

What better strategy could they possibly come up with. They pushed hard with a number of exclusive Japanese games very early in the system life and they still saw poor sales. The fact of the matter is that Sony and Nintendo are much stronger gaming brands in Japan and it simply isn't worth selling in Japan again just to receive marginal sales. They'd be better off redoubling their efforts in Europe where the Sony brand is still strong but where they actually have a chance of increasing sale numbers by a worthwhile amount.

Top Bottom