• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Sales: Week 45, 2023 (Oct 30 - Nov 05)

Famitsu Sales Week 45, 2023 (Oct 30 - Nov 05)​

Software​

1st Switch Super Mario Bros. Wonder
108,449 (total 910,259 units) -34% / Nintendo / October 20, 2023

2nd Switch Fashion Dreamer
30,884 (total 30,884) New / Marvelous / November 2, 2023

3rd Switch Wario Ware: Move it!
29,584 (total 29,584) New / Nintendo / November 3, 2023

4th Switch Star Ocean Second Story R
28,850 (total 28,850) New / Square Enix / November 2, 2023

5th Switch Animal Crossing: New Horizons
15,933 (total 7,565,970) +620% / Nintendo / March 20, 2020

6th PS5 Star Ocean Second Story R
14,367 (total 14,367) New / Square Enix / November 2, 2023

7th Switch Pikmin 4
10,158 (total 940,696) +28% / Nintendo / July 21, 2023

8th Switch Game of Life for Nintendo Switch
7,974 (total 71,388) -13% / Takara Tomy / October 6, 2023

9th PS4 Star Ocean Second Story R
7,360 (total 7,360) New / Square Enix / November 2, 2023

10th PS5 Marvel's Spider-Man 2 (Spider-Man 2)
6,325 (total 96,182) -49% / Sony Interactive Entertainment / October 20, 2023

Hardware sales volume​

• Switch - 10,693 (total 19,593,360)
  • Switch Lite - 23,627 (total 5,558,037)
  • Switch Oled - 58,932 (total 5,996,897)
  • PS5 - 1,090 (total 3,932,322)
  • PS5 Digital Edition - 127 (total 590,064)
  • Xbox Series X - 2,332 (total 232,230)
  • Xbox Series S - 2,405 (total 292,704)
  • PS4 - 1,306 (total 7,904,699)
  • New Nintendo 2DS LL - 24 (total 1,192,582)

ZPsz7Ww.png

Last edited:

Mowcno

Next week the new PS5 model will finally be on sale in Japan and PS5 sales will rocket back up. Kind of silly they didn't ensure the old PS5 model had enough stock to keep Japan satisfied for the past 3 weeks but oh well. They just let PS5 be decapitated for October in Japan.

Last edited:

Woopah

TBH I would’ve expected much more considering this one is on Switch. Hopefully international sales will be stronger. Anecdotally it seems to be gaining a lot of positive word of mouth.
Switch version did help, but it was offset by the PS4 version of this game doing 20k worse than the last version (which makes sense as the PS4 ecosystem is declining.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Never thought I'd see the day where Xbox dominates the traditional home console front. Ps4 in at second place. PS5 needs something big and fast otherwise it's in trouble.
You’re getting made fun of but what’s up with Xbox X/S selling almost 400% as much as PS5?

Are they still “clearing out inventory” for the slim model? That was the excuse last time.

Mowcno

You’re getting made fun of but what’s up with Xbox X/S selling almost 400% as much as PS5?

Are they still “clearing out inventory” for the slim model? That was the excuse last time.
He's joking and I hope you are too. Because yes that's exactly the reason. PS5 sales have stopped because the original model is no longer shipping and is out of stock. The new model launches November 8th.

Tsaki

I know it's Sony not having stock of the older models, but this is now week 3, no? Pretty retarded to not have excess of the older models and just let them be phased out organically in the months after the new PS5 model releases. I mean couldn't they send 300,000 extra PS5s for Spiderman 2's launch?

Last edited:

Kerotan

Japan is Xbox fastest growing market according to Phil. No wonder he's feeling so bullish when in reality their success is clearly coming at the expense of playstation. If it's really true that they've got Japanese exclusives in development Sony need to act fast and getting something big out quick.

For starters I'd cut production of the ps4 because it's a bad look when your last gen effort is beating the current one. I'm getting flashbacks of the ps2 outselling the PS3 here.

I'm constantly surprised by how much the OLED model sells each week, both in Japan and even outside of Japan. Personally, I would never buy a console revision with no hardware improvements beyond a better screen, and no other changes. Not for more money than what I spent for the original model. But yet, the sales of the OLED tell me that many people are buying it as a second Switch and upgrading from another model. So clearly I am in the minority on this. I am holding out for a Pro or a successor, and it sounds like a successor is more likely at this point, given all the reports and rumors, and how long ago 2017 was. Switch has already been a very long generation.

I think given the sales of the OLED and that the original Switch model is now the lowest sales ratio of the three models, I can see Nintendo discontinuing the original model, particularly starting in 2024, and just soldiering on with the OLED as the primary model, and the Lite as the lower-end budget option. They will need to prioritize setting up manufacturing lines for the new system, and keeping all three models of Switch going indefinitely would be pointless at some point soon.

Last edited:

BrunoCoel

Japan is Xbox fastest growing market according to Phil. No wonder he's feeling so bullish when in reality their success is clearly coming at the expense of playstation. If it's really true that they've got Japanese exclusives in development Sony need to act fast and getting something big out quick.

For starters I'd cut production of the ps4 because it's a bad look when your last gen effort is beating the current one. I'm getting flashbacks of the ps2 outselling the PS3 here.

With this huge growth for Xbox and the current PS5 downfall in Japan MS will get tons of japanese exclusives without even trying.

Kerotan

With this huge growth for Xbox and the current PS5 downfall in Japan MS will get tons of japanese exclusives without even trying.
Relax it's only week 3 of this domination. Give playstation one more week before we lose all faith.

nowhat

Huge growth? If you sold 1 of $THING last month, and now you're selling 2 of $THING the following month, congratulations, you've increased your sales by 100%. Doesn't mean you've sold fuck all.

Sojiro

Almost another 100k switch week, love to see it. Will Mario Wonder hit 1 mill next week, or the one after 🤔. Star Ocean launched a little lower than I would like to see, the game is fantastic, so I was hoping it would perform a bit stronger. C'mon Japan bros. go out and pick up Star Ocean!

I don't know where you source these charts, but whoever came up with that color scheme should be shot out of a cannon. Like in a circus, just without a safety net or other landing area.
The data is sourced from Famitsu and i came up with the chart and color scheme, lol.

Last edited:
Almost another 100k switch week, love to see it. Will Mario Wonder hit 1 mill next week, or the one after 🤔. Star Ocean launched a little lower than I would like to see, the game is fantastic, so I was hoping it would perform a bit stronger. C'mon Japan bros. go out and pick up Star Ocean!
May be softer in Japan because unlike the US, they already have a PS4 re-release of the original SO2 game.

I think the WarioWare IP might be headed to the vault.
  • Game & Wario sold poorly even by Wii U standards.
  • Gold released in mid-2018 for all the pirates to play on their safely hacked 3DS.
  • Get It Together was primarily marketed as a (non-online) multiplayer game.
  • Move It! is waggle-only in a stacked year for a console that is nearing end-of-life.
Get It Together sales were ok-ish from what I remember, but very low on list of Nintendo published games on the Switch.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Hardware sales volume​

• PS5 - 1,090
  • PS5 Digital Edition - 127
  • Xbox Series X - 2,332
  • Xbox Series S - 2,405

Damn It Wesley Snipes GIF by IMDb

Last edited:

Woopah

I'm constantly surprised by how much the OLED model sells each week, both in Japan and even outside of Japan. Personally, I would never buy a console revision with no hardware improvements beyond a better screen, and no other changes. Not for more money than what I spent for the original model. But yet, the sales of the OLED tell me that many people are buying it as a second Switch and upgrading from another model. So clearly I am in the minority on this. I am holding out for a Pro or a successor, and it sounds like a successor is more likely at this point, given all the reports and rumors, and how long ago 2017 was. Switch has already been a very long generation.

I think given the sales of the OLED and that the original Switch model is now the lowest sales ratio of the three models, I can see Nintendo discontinuing the original model, particularly starting in 2024, and just soldiering on with the OLED as the primary model, and the Lite as the lower-end budget option. They will need to prioritize setting up manufacturing lines for the new system, and keeping all three models of Switch going indefinitely would be pointless at some point soon.
OLED model also has an ethernet port and better stand. It's basically equivalent to the DSi XL and 3DS XL.

I guess when new people pick up a Switch, they want the best one.

Also usually the standard Switch does better than the Lite, but this week there was a new Animal Crossing Lite bundle (hence why the game went up 620%).

Unknown?

Never thought I'd see the day where Xbox dominates the traditional home console front. Ps4 in at second place. PS5 needs something big and fast otherwise it's in trouble.
Phil Spencer to Nadella: Our one-two punch power/price strategy is working, we have finally surpassed PlayStation in their home country this week.
Nadella: Great news!

Sojiro

I think the WarioWare IP might be headed to the vault.
  • Game & Wario sold poorly even by Wii U standards.
  • Gold released in mid-2018 for all the pirates to play on their safely hacked 3DS.
  • Get It Together was primarily marketed as a (non-online) multiplayer game.
  • Move It! is waggle-only in a stacked year for a console that is nearing end-of-life.
Get It Together sales were ok-ish from what I remember, but very low on list of Nintendo published games on the Switch.
Yeah Wario might be in trouble. I really enjoyed Gold, but yeah it came out super late in the 3DS' life. Get it together was decent, but I think Gold was better, and I have no interest in Move It, and doubt it will do that well.

Next week the new PS5 model will finally be on sale in Japan and PS5 sales will rocket back up. Kind of silly they didn't ensure the old PS5 model had enough stock to keep Japan satisfied for the past 3 weeks but oh well. They just let PS5 be decapitated for October in Japan.

I know it's Sony not having stock of the older models, but this is now week 3, no? Pretty retarded to not have excess of the older models and just let them be phased out organically in the months after the new PS5 model releases. I mean couldn't they send 300,000 extra PS5s for Spiderman 2's launch?

Really poor analysis.

Sony doesn't care about 10k units sold in a week for Japan in November.

Sony wants as many units available in the US and Europe as possible. They want to build as high a barrier in places where Xbox is strong and so from a supply chain perspective, it doesn't make sense to focus on Japan at all here. They'll prop up the PS5 in Japan before FF7Rebirth comes out, but Christmas isn't nearly as big in Japan. They need those units here.

I don't think things are going to magically go back to normal next week in Japan either. They have a MW3 bundle with the PS Slim... that's not meant for Japan. It's meant for the West. They'll probably have a FF7R bundle for Japan in February.

Mowcno

Really poor analysis.

Sony wants as many units available in the US and Europe as possible. They want to build as high a barrier in places where Xbox is strong and so from a supply chain perspective, it doesn't make sense to focus on Japan at all here. They'll prop up the PS5 in Japan before FF7Rebirth comes out, but Christmas isn't nearly as big in Japan. They need those units here.

I don't think things are going to magically go back to normal next week in Japan either. They have a MW3 bundle with the PS Slim... that's not meant for Japan. It's meant for the West. They'll probably have a FF7R bundle for Japan in February.
Really poor analysis. Xbox isn't strong anywhere that shouldn't even be a factor, they're outselling them 3:1. Ensuring there were 50k-90k more units in Japan for October also wasn't going to do any harm to sales in the EU/USA stock levels are very healthy now. And yes Japan sales will absolutely be back to normal once the new model launches, not sure how you could think otherwise.

Really poor analysis. Xbox isn't strong anywhere that shouldn't even be a factor, they're outselling them 3:1. Ensuring there were 50k-90k more units in Japan for October also wasn't going to do any harm to sales in the EU/USA stock levels are very healthy now. And yes Japan sales will absolutely be back to normal once the new model launches, not sure how you could think otherwise.

It makes more sense for Sony to drive a nail in the coffin in areas where Xbox is less weak. Selling those same 50-90K units in the west pays more dividends than in Japan. Sony is looking to sell as many units in Q3-FY23 as they can, so shipping any additional units to Japan wouldn't have made sense.

If Sony wanted to they could have sold the slim in Japan early. I don't expect we're going to see a shipment of say 100K-200K units week 1. It'll probably be a ramp up, with again most units earmarked for the west.

It makes more sense for Sony to drive a nail in the coffin in areas where Xbox is less weak. Selling those same 50-90K units in the west pays more dividends than in Japan. Sony is looking to sell as many units in Q3-FY23 as they can, so shipping any additional units to Japan wouldn't have made sense.

If Sony wanted to they could have sold the slim in Japan early. I don't expect we're going to see a shipment of say 100K-200K units week 1. It'll probably be a ramp up, with again most units earmarked for the west.
I dunno. Amazon rankings suggest that all Slim models have sold 15-20k units in the last month. We might see 100k+ week 1 in Japan for the Slim.

nial

Gold Member
For context, PS4 sold 560 (yes, 560) units in Japan a week before the Slim was released. It went on to sell 96.433 the next week. Crazy, I know.
To be fair, it also got a day one Persona 5 bundle (released on the same day) with a huge promotion, but anyone pretending that PS5 won't have a big boost on sales once the new model comes out, has absolutely no idea.

This thread is your friend.
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/media-create-sales-archive-thread-2.416253/
Look up for August-early September 2009 and August-mid September 2016.

Last edited:

Tsaki

Really poor analysis.

You'd have a point if the PS5s were being scalped and no one could find some. They are readily available everywhere except Japan. In fact they are so readily available, that you get bundles which save you $70. Having more units sitting in warehouses in the US is miles worse than selling those units in Japan. It's just a straight up miscalculation by SIE not having stores brimming with consoles and Spiderman 2 bundles in the period of their biggest in-house exclusive, in the second biggest market on the planet.

You'd have a point if the PS5s were being scalped and no one could find some. They are readily available everywhere except Japan. In fact they are so readily available, that you get bundles which save you $70. Having more units sitting in warehouses in the US is miles worse than selling those units in Japan. It's just a straight up miscalculation by SIE not having stores brimming with consoles and Spiderman 2 bundles in the period of their biggest in-house exclusive, in the second biggest market on the planet.

You're always going to sell these units in Japan. Whether you sell them today or next month.

Being able to quickly stock up on PlayStations anywhere in the US is vastly more important. And I bet you there are regions like Japan with very small inventory right now.

You don't want a single store in the US or UK to be sold out, for a minute, an hour, or a day. By focusing on flexibility and the ability to fulfill those sales in key regions, you're going to be able to maximize your sales here, even if that means that things sit around in storage for a bit.

In the long scheme of things, Sony doesn't care about 40K units they didn't sell in October in Japan, but sold them in November instead... these people are still going to buy PlayStations.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Star Ocean only selling twice the amount on PS5 compared to PS4 seems a bit odd? The PS5 isn't a new system.
117+M PS4s in the wild/9M in Japan. The PS4 isn't a new system.
Switch is what, 27M in Japan? Barely sold twice as many of the game.
31M? Damn.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Jim Ryan really seems to hate Japan for some odd reason.

Top Bottom