• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu's original review scores for the Super Famicom Mini games

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It's interesting that many contemporary reviews of Super Metroid were 'very good' and it was only over time that eventually it was realised how momentous an achievement of game design it was.
I think it was EGM in the year 2000-2001 that had a top 100 games feature, and they put Super Metroid at number 1. That was a "wait... what?" moment for me. I enjoyed SM when it came out, but a top game of all time?

But all these decades later, I believe it.

Schlomo

This is super interesting, thanks for posting.

About Mega Man X: I never owned it back then, just rented it for a few days. Playing it now on the SNES Mini, I'm not really impressed with it so far. It looks and feels great, but level design is just boring compared to MM9, which I played a few years back. So far I'd agree with their score.

D.Lo

I think it was EGM in the year 2000-2001 that had a top 100 games feature, and they put Super Metroid at number 1. That was a "wait... what?" moment for me. I enjoyed SM when it came out, but a top game of all time?

But all these decades later, I believe it.
Yeah that was what I've seen as well.

The one I was thinking of in particular was the UK Magazine Super Play, which had a new retro issue recently. They gave Super Metroid 92 back in the day - which is a great score, but many other games got higher scores, especially RPGS which were judged based on graphics and music and story being the big things pushing gaming forward.

But in their new re-review of all the games on the SNES Mini, Super Metroid gets the highest score of all, because in hindsight game design is what wins out.

Top Bottom