• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Fantasy Gate Co.] A story in history: How the Xbox brand destroyed Nintendos Home Console Business and forced them stop stop competing directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virex

Banned
th

Neither the NES nor the Game Boy were "competing directly" with the competition if you go by specs. This is nothing new for Nintendo. It's also kind of hilarious how the most successful Xbox generation so far (360) was still beaten by an underpowered Nintendo system.

I do like it when Nintendo competes indirectly. It makes the market more interesting.

Codes 208

I always forget that Xbox continued to sell after GCN was discontinued. Last time I paid any attention to those sales numbers, Xbox was definitely third place worldwide. And there it will remain forever in my memory, because neither sold anywhere close to as much as PS2.
True. But I see what you were going for. The Wii went on to beat the 360 and ps3 while the switch is currently en route to beat the one.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
(A mod put a gif here because he/she/they was jealous, and couldn't deny the events in this OP actually happened. This is real video game history and if you disagree please present proof that these events did not happen. Otherwise this is another victory for real gaming historians.)
How is your business/industry analysis a victory for gaming historians?
Analysis =/= History
Facts (And whom writes them...) = History

Codes 208

The Xbox was cut first and the GameCube kept selling and still couldn't beat the Xbox.
The Wii was cut first (and released last) and the 360 still couldn’t beat it. And while the Wii U was a total bust, the switch has been outselling the one on a monthly basis almost every month for the last two years sometimes as much as 3 to 1 and that’s just in the US.

It almost like positions can change during new generations, strange isn’t it?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I'm not gonna bash the guy because whatever, he can feel how ever he wants to feel.

But this stuff belongs on a blog not on this forum.

Fbh

You got it wrong.
It's all part of the Nintendo strategy, but they are looking for long term results. It's a list of complex steps I'll try to summarise:
1- They establish themselves as an important player in the industry so other companies need to keep an eye on what they are doing.
2- They intentionally make the gamecube fail so Sony gets confident and MS is like "hey, we can actually beat them"
3- Launch the Wii with a focus on casual games and motion controls. The other 2 know they can't compete in this segment so they go for power.
4- Unaware of the negative effects emitted by Bluricine Radiation (a.k.a Bluray Cancer Rays) they launch the Ps3 using a bluray drive and take their first step towards their own destruction.
5- MS is smarter and sticks to DVD, they try to push the much superior and cancer curing HD-DVD. But the general public doesn't know of the Quantum anti-blu tachyons (present in HD-DVD's) and Nintendo is aware of this.
6- Launch a decoy console in the form of the WiiU (which was designed to fail) which uses a high capacity disc (the round edges prevent the Bluricine Radiation but that's for another thread) this makes MS see the market trend for higher capacity disc and they ultimately go with Bluray for the Xb1
7- With Bluray now being used by both of their main competitors, Nintendo now simply has to wait for the Bluricine Radiation to take down Sony and MS internally, as well as their most loyal customers (who we can asume own the most games and have gotten the most exposure to Blurays). The first effects should start any day now
8- Launch their new console which, of course, uses the much healthier cartridge system.

Last edited:

CJY

Banned
I sometimes wonder if I’m the only one who wishes i were blind every time i read a thread by OP. I mean, the premise is fine... but the fashion in the way in which they’re conveyed have a distinct smell of crap about them.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
Add some facts at least like this guy, no need to mention sources:

-The Nintendo GameCube received generally positive reviews following its launch. PC Magazine praised the overall hardware design and quality of game titles available at launch. CNET gave an average review rating, noting that while the console lacks a few features offered by its competition, it is relatively inexpensive, has a great controller design, and launched a decent lineup of games. In later reviews, criticism mounted against the console often centering on its overall look and feel, describing it as “toy-ish.” In the midst of poor sales figures and the associated financial harm to Nintendo, a Time International article called the GameCube an “unmitigated disaster.”
Retrospectively, Joystiq compared the GameCube’s launch window to its successor, the Wii, noting that the GameCube’s “lack of games” resulted in a subpar launch, and the console’s limited selection of online titles hurt its market share in the long run. Time International concluded that the system had low sales figures, because it lacked “technical innovations”.

-Many of Nintendo’s own first-party titles such as Super Smash Bros. Melee and Mario Kart: Double Dash saw strong sales, though this did not typically benefit third-party developers or directly drive sales of their games. Many cross-platform games — such as sports franchises released by Electronic Arts — were sold in numbers far below their PlayStation 2 and Xbox counterparts, eventually prompting some developers to scale back or completely cease support for the GameCube. Exceptions include Sega’s family friendly Sonic Adventure 2 and Super Monkey Ball, which reportedly yielded more sales on GameCube than most of the company’s games on the PlayStation 2 and Xbox. After several years of losing money from developing for Nintendo’s console, Eidos Interactive announced in September 2003 that it would end support for the GameCube, canceling several games that were in development. Later, however, Eidos resumed development of GameCube titles, releasing hit games such as Lego Star Wars: The Video Game and Tomb Raider: Legend. In addition, several third-party games originally intended to be GameCube exclusives – most notably Resident Evil 4 – were eventually ported to other systems in an attempt to maximize profits following lackluster sales of the original GameCube versions.

-Beginning with this period, GameCube sales continued to be steady, particularly in Japan, but the GameCube remained in third place in worldwide sales during the sixth generation era because of weaker sales performance elsewhere.
Some third-party companies, such as Ubisoft, THQ, Disney Interactive Studios, Humongous Entertainment and EA Sports, continued to release GameCube games well into 2007. These titles include TMNT, Meet the Robinsons, Surf’s Up, Ratatouilleand Madden NFL 08.

-With the GameCube, Nintendo failed to reclaim the market share lost by its predecessor, the Nintendo 64. Throughout the lifespan of its console generation, GameCube hardware sales remained far behind its direct competitor the PlayStation 2, and slightly behind Microsoft’s Xbox. The console’s “family-friendly” appeal and lack of support from certain third-party developers skewed the GameCube toward a younger market, which was a minority demographic of the gaming population during the sixth generation. Many third-party games popular with teenagers or adults, such as the blockbuster Grand Theft Auto series and several key first-person shooters, skipped the GameCube entirely in favor of the PlayStation 2 and Xbox.

juliotendo

Didn’t bother to read. Not sure if a joke or serious post.

Outside North America (US and Canada mainly) XBOX isn’t well received. This is fact.

It’s a Sony and Nintendo world and Microsoft has a small piece of it.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Cerberus or a Trojita sandwich?

Yes I know that is a fox
If you'd like we can cut off the middle head and replace it with this
aibo-robodog-b0302943.jpg

10156905.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Codes 208

Hasn't Xbox come in last place every generation?

Edit: I stand corrected generation 6

GameCube: 21.75 million
Xbox: 24 million
PS2: 155 million

Yeah, must have been Xbox causing Nintendo's woes - not PS2 or anything....
Unless you really don’t consider the switch current gen, in which it kicked the Wii U’s ass this gen. But that’s arguing semantics.

"How the Xbox brand destroyed Xbox Home Console Business and forced them stop competing directly." is more accurate.

I think Nintendo more directly competing with the mobile game market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom