• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fate/Grand Order Earnings Surpassed 1 Trillion Yen (Approximately $7 Billion USD)

Fate/Grand Order reached an all-new earnings milestone. SensorTower reported that the mobile gacha game had reached a worldwide revenue of $7 billion as of mid-August 2023. Japanese outlets converted the figure with an exchange rate of around 147 yen on September 8, 2023. They concluded that the total earnings for Fate/Grand Order had surpassed 1 trillion yen. [Thanks, 4Gamer!]

The Japanese server’s 8th anniversary served as a major contributor to the milestone. When the event started on July 30, 2023, SensorTower noted that Fate/Grand Order sat at the top spot of the daily revenue ranking on the country’s iPhone App Store. It also managed to stay in the top 10 ranking until August 15, 2023. During the same period, Fate/Grand Order also recorded a revenue growth rate of around $40 million. That was about three times the amount that Bandai Namco’s One Piece: Treasure Cruise could gather at around $13 million
fate-grand-order-global-revenue-reached-1-trillion-yen-after-japanese-8th-anniversary.png

Throughout the game’s entire lifetime since its launch in 2015, SensorTower also calculated that 81.1% of the global revenue share from the official App Store and Google Play Store came from Japan. China came at a distant second with 8.1%, and the U.S. closely followed at third with 5.8%.

SensorTower used August 15, 2023, as the cut-off date for its revenue calculation. The Summer 2023 gacha banner that starred Artoria Caster launched on August 11, 2023. That means this banner did make some contribution for Fate/Grand Order to reach the $7 billion / ¥1 trillion mark.

Fate/Grand Order is available on iOS and Android mobile devices.

Last edited:

bbeach123

Their gacha mechanic( read monetization) was so good that 90% gacha game nowaday using(read copy) them . Not the first but yea, the best .

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

winjer

Gold Member
I didn't even know this existed.
Looks like nightmare fueled mxt and lootboxes driven mechanics.

Pejo

If you like visual novels it's basically a live service VN that constantly adds genderswapped historical and mythological figures in crazy but sometimes touching adventures. The gameplay is admittedly not everybody's cup o' tea but the storytelling is a fun read and has very high highs to go with some lows.

Anyways, their awful monetization model is hard to ignore, but I still enjoy the game for the most part, after years. Just like any game it's got its pluses and minuses. The best thing I can say about it is that it hasn't taken western game design sensibilities to heart and I find that part enjoyable.

GAF is probably just gonna shit on it like usual for being gacha though, right after re-upping their XBOX Gamepass™ Premium® for 2 years, forking out that extra 30% PSN+ Platinum, unlocking those sweet new Overwatch 2 skins, and buying a few FIFA booster packs.

Shit monetization is everywhere now, I guess is my point.

ssringo

Wish they'd channel some more of that money into traditional games. I enjoyed the FGO storyline and would love to play through it as a proper single player game.

And where is that Fate/EXTRA remake anyways?

killatopak

where the hell is all that money going? cause it's definitely not going into developing the game.
Well it made Type-Moon remake Tsukihime, Melty Blood, and Witch of The Holy Night. All vastly inferior in popularity to the Fate franchise. They also made an Anime remake of those so yeah. Not everybody will like those especially those who aren't familiar with Type-Moon or just strictly fans of Fate but they're a happy investment for people who were fans of theirs before their boom in popularity with Fate.

Sony owns the game as well. Ask Sony what they're doing with the Fate money.

Last edited:
See a lot of people mentioning Sony, but it isn't SIE/PlayStation that owns this, it's Sony Music. It's also worth noting that they license the property.

SHA

Just like movies and tv and music, most people will spend their time and money on absolute garbage.
They are not actually enjoying the content, they're reliving their experience from the Anime and feeling high just like drugs, which is effectively worse than consuming actual contents.

Pejo

Wish they'd channel some more of that money into traditional games. I enjoyed the FGO storyline and would love to play through it as a proper single player game.

And where is that Fate/EXTRA remake anyways?
There's Fate/Samurai Remnant that comes out in a few weeks. Sounds like it might be what you're looking for. They also make various VNs, musous, fighting games etc. Great question about the Extra remake though, I don't think there's been a proper update on it for years.

ssringo

There's Fate/Samurai Remnant that comes out in a few weeks. Sounds like it might be what you're looking for. They also make various VNs, musous, fighting games etc. Great question about the Extra remake though, I don't think there's been a proper update on it for years.

I played the Extella games and that's kinda where I'm coming from saying I wish they spent more on traditional games. I like the characters, voice work and story (mostly) but the gameplay always comes up short. Like the budget primarily goes to the former and the later gets what's left over. Makes it a little hard to give new games a try because if I don't like the characters the gameplay probably isn't going to carry it.

Which is why I'm not really looking forward to Samurai Remnant. There's a whole lot of characters/designs that aren't doing it for me and with Koei Tecmo developing I have no faith in the gameplay. I've not enjoyed a single of their crossovers that wasn't Zelda and other than a few outliers, I don't find their games very fun mechanically.

As an aside, I'm apparently in the minority that hates that they made a loli Tamamo.

Pejo

As an aside, I'm apparently in the minority that hates that they made a loli Tamamo.
I'll stand beside you on that. They already had the best Tamamo design ready to go and said "nah!"

314_Koyanskaya_4.png

I get what you're saying now, but I think KT CAN do good gameplay when they want to. Depends on the team and the ambition really. They made the Nioh games after all, and I consider them to have some of the best battle systems in gaming. Anyways, I've kept my spoilers to a minimum on Samurai/Remmant but the battle system looks at least better than the musous.

I do wish that Lasagna would give some of these things a proper budget though with all those billions made from FGO.

See a lot of people mentioning Sony, but it isn't SIE/PlayStation that owns this, it's Sony Music. It's also worth noting that they license the property.
Yup. And Sony Music been buying left and right publishing rights in the 100 millions.

Aenima

Impressive that this game after 8 years is still printing money and just last year was oficially launched in some European countries.

Last edited:

Fbh

Can they use some of that money to get Gen Urobuchi to make sequel to Fate/Zero that's a parallel timeline that's completely detached from the trash that is the rest of the Fate franchise?

bigdad2007

I spent too much money before I realized that even spending thousands on the game isn’t enough to really get what you want if you want to continue to play and get new servants. It’s insane. The pity system is a joke. Glad I got out and nuked my account. Sucks too because I love the Fate series.

FeralEcho

That fate money powers Sony's weird projects.
Which ones? This ain't the Sony from 10 years ago that would fund The Last Guardian or Gravity Rush.I have yet to see a "weird" project from Sony since Jim gacha gaas billy boy took over. The only thing this garbage powers is Jim Ryan's wallet so he can make more stupid decisions to ruin Playstation in the future.

Cyberpunkd

This is why all the new games are thrash, everyone is chasing that shit mtx money. Just wait till we start getting Gacha on consoles.

Top Bottom