• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fathers of NeoGAF! Where are all the interesting childrens books?!

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
You read the same 20+ books to your toddler hundreds of times. They're all dreadfully boring with pages that look like this...

245863-alt2_1200x1200.jpg

Surely there are picture books aimed for the 6 month - 3 year old demographic with illustrations that appeals to adults right? I mean, isn't the important thing modeling behavior, pointing at things on pages and asking your kid about it, and having some kind of story structure?

Where are the picture books about WW2? Where are the picture books about histories great philosophers?
Where are the picture books about Mao Zedong and his "great leap forward"?

What a sad state of affairs when this is the best book in your collection...

91hzcTMy3GL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Grumpy Monkey sucks.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I like the Piggy and Gerald ones, or at least my kids do. The DC superhero board books are really good as well, classic golden Era artwork and easy to read. Golden books are still around, plenty of more topical subjects.

But yeah, almost all are "social themes" or just licensed IP. I've not seen many good kids adaptations of great literature or history.

When they are a bit older the "Dangerous/Daring book for Boys/girls" are pretty dope, if they even read at all versus youtube/toktok everything :p

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Heh heh, I think I still have some of the early anarchist cookbooks in my library.
I think i've still got the copy, of a copy from a copy that was copied from the other copies that an overweight Dave sold us at a bootsale. God bless the 90's :messenger_tears_of_joy:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I like the Piggy and Gerald ones, or at least my kids do. The DC superhero board books are really good as well, classic golden Era artwork and easy to read. Golden books are still around, plenty of more topical subjects.

But yeah, almost all are "social themes" or just licensed IP. I've not seen many good kids adaptations of great literature or history.

What's this American obsession with children's books that promote social correct messages about gender, race feminism and politics? What happened to children's books that simply try to tell a fun, exciting, humorous, adventurous story? Is it any wonder that less and less children read books when those are the books they remember?

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
You could also ask some skillful pedophiles for suggestions but I admit it's a delicate matter in here.

jason10mm

Gold Member
What's this American obsession with children's books that promote social correct messages about gender, race feminism and politics? What happened to children's books that simply try to tell a fun, exciting, humorous, adventurous story? Is it any wonder that less and less children read books when those are the books they remember?
Indoctrination.

bitbydeath

If they’re still learning words then go with picture books and teach them to read.
images

If they’re beyond that then go with short stories

images

Beyond that then Dr Seuss is great for teaching fast reading and tongue twisters.

images

G-Bus

Banned
Grumpy monkey wasn't bad the first 12 times.....

I still like reading this one.
Anything that rhymes decently well is nice to read IMO.
51QB970ZSML._AC_SL1500_.jpg

JCK75

There's a book I kicked started a while back called goodnight lad,. And then there was a another book from the same author released later where they're both augmented reality if you use tablet or phone.. It was very cool and a big hit

https://a.co/d/g7m4tg2

Doom85

You’re all being ridiculous, why waste money on more books for the kids that they’ll outgrow in a few years when you can go big brain and get creative with the kids books you already own?

7pvaEdb.jpg

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Dr Seus - Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You? Is a big hit with mine at the moment.

Little Blue Truck is also a good series to tap into.

Cyberpunkd

Lots to unpack here:
You read the same 20+ books to your toddler hundreds of times. They're all dreadfully boring with pages that look like this...
Kids are a creature of habit, they love reading the book 20 times, it's how the absorb information.
Surely there are picture books aimed for the 6 month - 3 year old demographic with illustrations that appeals to adults right?
No, because a young child looks at things differently than an adult. They need those simple pictures with basic colors.
Where are the picture books about WW2? Where are the picture books about histories great philosophers?
Are we still in <3 years old bracket?

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

Lol.

I'm not sure the horrors of WW2 or or China under Mao is really suitable for 6 month - 3 year old children.

Is a child of that age going to be able to understand the meat grinder of Stalingrad or the brutal Red August under Mao? I wouldn't expose children that age to that sort of violence, unless you want them to grow up to be Patrick Bateman.

No. What you should be reading to them is The Prince by Niccolò Machiavelli and teaching them to be based, alpha chads from as early as possible.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
url

It does have a social message about not letting pigeons drive busses though, so I don't know.

William steig books - dr desoto, pearl and tte magic bone, sylvester and the magic pebble.

Gregory the terrible eater

Blue berries for sal

Tiki tiki tembo

Stone soup

Dragons love tacos

The day the crayons quit/came home

Wheres waldo

Ispy

Richard scarry busy world books…

Top Bottom