• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fils-Aime: "The Virtual Console successor is Nintendo Switch Online"

Fox Mulder

Virtual console was always poor, glad to see them leaning away from it.

It was very good on the Wii. Had plenty of third party support and lots of consoles like TG16 and neogeo. Even got previously unreleased titles. It had lots of potential to build on.

Nintendo was just always slow to add content though which was a turn off. It also got gutted by delistings and companies like Capcom just put out things like the Disney compilations instead.

oagboghi2

Um ok, why would Nintendo sell any games at all when clearly, some people will pirate whatever they wamt.
want.
Becuase those games are locked to the switch
Virtual Console is only worthless because Nintendo killed it. There is lots of support for the Virtual Console and people would gladly spend money on it. Let's use your logic from above for your last sentence.

Why would Nintendo RENT ROMS when clearly, some people will pirate whatever they want.
Becuase the real value is playing it on the switch, a closed system that Nintendo fully controls.

The roms, in and of themselves, are worthless.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
The successor to the non existent rom delivery method is the non existent online service.

giphy.gif

Zog

Banned
Becuase those games are locked to the switch
Becuase the real value is playing it on the switch, a closed system that Nintendo fully controls.

The roms, in and of themselves, are worthless.

You are confusing me. You say the value is in playing the ROMS on the Switch but you think that the Virtual Console is worthless. Make up your mind.

Housh

I haven't bought any virtual console games on my other Nintendo systems. I like the idea of the subscription service giving me access to virtual console games but can see how others would be super pissed and feel ripped off.

cryptoadam

Banned
VC is dead. Classic line is there for nostalgia freaks.

3rd parties can make more money selling their own games rather then being on nintendo's VC. NeoGeo arcade classics are on the eshop. any 3rd party can easily make a collection if they want.

And how many times can Nintendo expect people to buy Mario brothers or whatever NES/SNES game over and over. In this day and age there isn't much value people want streaming services.

Virtual Console had to die because they had to find a way to charge you again for the same games you already bought multiple times.

You nailed it. Gamers have shown that they'll buy any game they like with every new generation of console. It's arguably bad business to give it away via VC when you can re-sell these games every generation at full price...and people will actually buy them.

Don't blame Nintendo...blame your fellow gamers for buying up these cheap remakes. They wouldn't do it if no one bought the stuff.

And, yes, this is why I never sell my old consoles or my old games. Can always just dust those off if I want to play something older. Much easier than worrying about some company to re-release it. Or, of course, there's always ROMs.

Last edited:

Smasher89

sure it is, just as much as "a 3rd party developer wanted us to have payed online". Sad this is what happens after the Wii U that had a lot of really good games.

oagboghi2

You are confusing me. You say the value is in playing the ROMS on the Switch but you think that the Virtual Console is worthless. Make up your mind.
The value is in the playing the roms on the switch(a closed garden) in a legal way. Its tying people to the switch, and that 20 dollar annual fee.

The roms, by themselves are largely worthless. Nintendo makes more money, and has a better pitch to their audience selling a list of roms for 2 bucks a month, than selling individual roms that very few people will buy, for 5, 10, 12 dollars a pop.

It's not that different from a compilation. Put together a bunch of games into one package, knowing full well only a small percentage of them will be played, upcharge the price and sell it. People pay 20-30 bucks to pay one game that is maybe worth a dollar.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
VC is dead. Classic line is there for nostalgia freaks.
You have to add your own games to the mini consoles if you want a decent selection. Atleast for the SNES mini (which I do own) the selection is like a sampler. You get one Donkey Kong game, you get one Final Fantasy game and so on.

3rd parties can make more money selling their own games rather then being on nintendo's VC. NeoGeo arcade classics are on the eshop. any 3rd party can easily make a collection if they want.

I dare say it's easier for them to release individual games on the Virtual Console than to prepare a whole collection.

And how many times can Nintendo expect people to buy Mario brothers or whatever NES/SNES game over and over. In this day and age there isn't much value people want streaming services.

That's the root of the issue, Nintendo refuses to let you play your previous purchases for free on the Switch and so killing the Virtual Console is their solution. Rename the service so you are more willing to pay again and in this case, you will be paying again and again and again and losing the games when you stop paying.

Zog

Banned
The value is in the playing the roms on the switch(a closed garden) in a legal way. Its tying people to the switch, and that 20 dollar annual fee.

The roms, by themselves are largely worthless. Nintendo makes more money, and has a better pitch to their audience selling a list of roms for 2 bucks a month, than selling individual roms that very few people will buy, for 5, 10, 12 dollars a pop.

It's not that different from a compilation. Put together a bunch of games into one package, knowing full well only a small percentage of them will be played, upcharge the price and sell it. People pay 20-30 bucks to pay one game that is maybe worth a dollar.

I think the Virtual Console would have made money too. As for which will make more money, I am sure the 'perpetual paying but never owning' subscription system is more profitable for them but I am a consumer, not a board member.

SoulUnison

Banned
I'm not sure I care for how Nintendo's trying to become, like, the Disney of gaming, shutting down fan projects and constantly leveraging the back catalog in their "vault" to sell you the same game every generation.
Their bizarre online dongle strategy that apparently isn't even necessary and how they think they even have an online reputation deserving of a membership fee at this point has me feeling like this company has no idea where it's really headed, and that hurts to have to say about Nintendo.

93xfan

Banned
One small benefit is that we may see 3rd party companies less reluctant to let their games on there. Contra and Illusion of Gaia would be great.

As for n64 games, I’d rather see Nintendo re-release improved versions with better frame rates for PURCHASE. I’d love to be able to get a 1080p of Ocarina and Star Fox 64.

Either way, Nintendo needs to get this right. VC was one of my most anticipated features.

93xfan

Banned
Sorry No, Nintendo is to blame for their treatment of the Virtual Console.

Agreed. I really hate starting over every gen and waiting for my favorite games to trickle out. I’d love if they also did collection just like Capcom does with the Disney Afternoon Collection and the Mega Man Collections.

JimboJones

It was very good on the Wii. Had plenty of third party support and lots of consoles like TG16 and neogeo. Even got previously unreleased titles. It had lots of potential to build on.

Nintendo was just always slow to add content though which was a turn off. It also got gutted by delistings and companies like Capcom just put out things like the Disney compilations instead.
The Euro one was pretty crap, generally over priced lots of games limited to 50htz.
Some games like Streets of rage didn't even work over component cables! Ridiculous when your paying money for these games yet the homebrew software on Wii did an infinitely better job.

Honestly I'm happier with the mini consoles and straight up compilation disks than I ever was with virtual console.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The Euro one was pretty crap, generally over priced lots of games limited to 50htz.
Some games like Streets of rage didn't even work over component cables! Ridiculous when your paying money for these games yet the homebrew software on Wii did an infinitely better job.

Honestly I'm happier with the mini consoles and straight up compilation disks than I ever was with virtual console.

So the punishment Nintendo received from handling VC suboptimally in EU for Wii and for VC getting worse with Wii U and 3DS is that we will buy new HW and the games again and again? Especially given that they did improve the software emulator for NES and SNES over what was available for the other consoles and never bothered to fix it with patches (borked birghtness).

:/...

jufonuk

not tag worthy
No VC because nes and SNES classics did great guns.

They will just keep making classic machines they can control the content and charge for it and they sell.

Just use switch to have playable classic games in the online like a Spotify service.

20 for the whole year is next to nothing of what they offer is good.

JimboJones

So the punishment Nintendo received from handling VC suboptimally in EU for Wii and for VC getting worse with Wii U and 3DS is that we will buy new HW and the games again and again? Especially given that they did improve the software emulator for NES and SNES over what was available for the other consoles and never bothered to fix it with patches (borked birghtness).

:/...
I'm just throwing in my 2cents about my experiences, I'm not punishing anyone.
If they put out a good service or hardware I'll be there, if their service is terrible I won't.

Roms took off because you could get games that were no longer available or never available (japanese games never brought over).

People buy "roms" so they can have the same convenience of downloading off some site while legally owning it.

If you make owning digital games a pain, guess what is coming back and was available the whole time.

Last edited:
Don’t like the idea of not being able to buy my virtual console games permanently. Was so hoping for GameCube emulation but I guess that’s a pipe dream (no pun intended)

Deizle71283

Neo Member
It amazes me how much Nintendo doesn't seem to want to budge for the consumer. All of their VC games from the past would make them a ton of cash, but they act as if they're past games are too good for us or something.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Honestly, I am not too worried about this. Most of the games on the VC that would be worth playing I already own physically on that system (Earthbound, Mother 3, etc). While it would be nice to have certain games to replay on the go, I am more interested to see what Nintendo will do with the Online stuff outside of the games. Will we get Trophies/Achievements? Will we have strong community features like Miiverse? That is what I want to know.

I really am okay with this, especially now that the NES Mini, SNES Mini, and (soon) the N64 Mini will be released (and can be hacked).

But re-releasing GameCube games on the Switch should be happening, and if they're going to do them individually and not as a 'Virtual Console' series...that's fine, just make with the f*****g games.

As a related note, I would prefer to see certain Wii Games (like Zelda: Skyward Sword) re-released without motion controls (or having them greatly reduced).

Top Bottom