• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Creator Hironobu Sakaguchi Is Starting a New Project.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://twinfinite.net/2018/12/hironobu-sakaguchi-new-game/

Things have been a bit rough for Final Fantasy creator Hironobu Sakaguchi in 2018, but it appears that he is ready for a brand new beginning, as he revealed on the Japanese magazine Weekly Famitsu.

Sakaguchi-san was interviewed as part of a special article prompting many game developers to talk about their plans for 2019. His keyword for the new year is “Shinki Itten” echoinga Japanese proverb which means “a fresh start.” Yet he didn’t write the traditional kanji one would use for that proverb (心機一転). He instead wrote a play on words by using those for “a new thing” (新規一点).

He added that he is starting a new project, and he wants to try his best to create “a fresh start/new thing.”

Sakaguchi-san is currently leading his own studio Mistwalker Corporation.

The Shepard

I wish him and uemastsu would create one last final fantasy together, the series was never the same after these two left, lost its magic.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Why was 2018 rough? I thought they're still doing Terra Battle and Terra Wars stuff? I hope a company funds him to make something like a successor to The Last Story. That had great potential if it had been successful enough for sequels given the novel strategic action battles and the whole set up, it was messy in many ways but a sequel could have been something really special with improved systems, controls and the budget for a larger world than just one (cool as it was) city and disjointed mission areas that didn't even take advantage of all mechanics (stealth and environment damage were very underutilized).

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Why was 2018 rough? I thought they're still doing Terra Battle and Terra Wars stuff?

2018 saw the premature closure of his mobile game Terra Battle 2 less than a year after its launch.

In the meanwhile, fans are still waiting for the promised console version of Terra Battle, but we don’t know whether this is the new project Sakaguchi-san is talking about, or he has something completely different in store.

From the op link.

[Asmodean]

I wish him and uemastsu would create one last final fantasy together, the series was never the same after these two left, lost its magic.

While I would love for this to happen. I think Sakaguchi is at his best when he had creative control, and is excited / motivated on a fresh new project. At least when it comes to world building.

Imo, Lost Odyssey, and The Last Story were great. I wish the studio the best. Seems they've been trying to stay afloat for a while now?

mortal

Gold Member
I really hope he comes back to make one more big budget console title.

He seems like he's pretty much ready to retire from designing those types of games though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom