• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final speculation and thoughts of Sonic's 25th Anniversary game?

We all know the big thing about Sonic right now is what the hell is going on with the 25th Anniversary game. What it is, when it'll be unveiled, where can we even play it on, will there be more than one game, etc?

It's generally agreed that we'll see it anywhere between now and the recently announced 25th Anniversary event taking place on July 22nd (Aaron was pretty *wink wink nudge nudge* about seeing it there at least by then). I've got my own guesses, theories and whatnot.

Essentially I think we've all seen the numerous Adventure references and all, whether that means Sonic Adventure 3 is finally being made, who can say, I mean it's like EVERY year we think the next game will be it, hell even I did for 2013, and to no-one's surprise, I was wrong! :p

Well I'm not getting my hopes up for now anyway. And I consider SA1 and SA2 to be my fav Sonic games of all time.

I however VERY much doubt we'll see Generations 2 like SO MANY seem to want. I just don't see this as being something they would do, I mean are we going to see this sort of formula where they just release a game with nothing but remade stages every 5 years? Seems like a really weird thing to do IMO. Hell I much prefer if they just made a new game but maybe brought back one or two as a throwback like in SA2 when you could unlock a 3D Green Hill Zone after collecting all 180 emblems, or in Super Mario Galaxy 2 when you can play in Whomp's Fortress from Super Mario 64.

I also don't see another console 2D game after Sonic 4's poor reception. I think the book's closed on that one personally.

It'll be a traditional 3D game, now will they again put in 2D gameplay? Sadly yes, I am NOT a fan of this constant 2D gameplay in 3D games thing they'd been doing since Unleashed, just pick one and stick with it! :p

And I only see one new game happening, I mean Gens was the only real 20th Anniversary game, unlike the 15th where there was '06, Secret Rings, Riders, and Sonic Genesis. Note Fire & Ice and Rio don't really count considering at least F&I was due last year. Well, I'd be surprised if more than one new game was announced.

As for WHERE it will be, that's an interesting topic all its own.

You've seen me post in numerous threads and you likely know where I'm going to go with this, well for those who don't, get ready! LOL :p Hint: It's about a company Sonic's with a lot. ;)

Anyway, I made a thread focusing all about Sonic's history with Nintendo which you can see here, but you can also read the full version I wrote at Sonic Stadium here if you wish (it started here at GAF but I expanded it at the site).

It goes over how Sonic has been very close with Nintendo since the very beginning of Sonic's history being 3rd-party, hell Yuji Naka wanted Sonic to be in Melee (don't know if this took place before or after March 2001 when the call was made to pull the plug) but the development time didn't allow this (can you blame them? The game only had 13 months of development and Sakurai, well, doesn't exactly want to go through that again).

And of course there's the numerous crossovers with Mario, two Smash appearances, amiibo, exclusives that I'm pretty damn sure now outnumber all of Sonic's main games on Sega's own hardware, and of course the sales numbers.

That and the suspicious silence (the games are commonly announced in March if released the same year. Colors and ASRT are a couple of exceptions in May of their years). I have been wondering if maybe we might even actually see the game be NX-exclusive, as that's a major thing this year obviously, and Sonic has actually all but once been there at a Nintendo system's E3 debut (all but 3DS, go figure).

And need I remind people of this:

CZP8VQiWwAE15QS.jpg

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/6972/kimishima-welcomes-sonic

Yepper, Tatsumi Kimishima, Nintendo's current President and Iwata's successor was right there in 2002 at NOA greeting Sonic to Nintendo systems, man that is unbelievable seeing that in retrospective IMO. o_O

Anyway, I would think if this were to happen, it'd be at E3. Hell I'm still shocked that since supposedly the exclusivity deal ended in 2014 that Sega didn't release a single Sonic-related thing on PS4 and XBO. What stopped them? Huh, weird.

We'll see, I obviously don't see the above as anything more than a possibility but nothing guaranteed.

Anyways, those are my thoughts on the subject, what are yours?

LewieP

I'd like a proper remake of at least one of the classic games. That retains the same physics/controls/momentum, and isn't weirdly zoomed in.

I'd like a proper remake of at least one of the classic games. That retains the same physics/controls/momentum, and isn't weirdly zoomed in.

Funny enough, I've heard that Gens 3DS' Classic Sonic stages literally have the exact same engine ripped from the Genesis originals.

Seems like it could be announced either at Nintendo's e3 conference or the post e3 Sonic event.
They've been talking a lot about Sonic Adventure 3, so maybe?
I kind of don't want more boost Sonic games, Sonic Lost World is probably the worst one since Unleashed but I liked the idea it was going for but the controls were too wonky.
I think it'll skip Wii U and 3DS this year with PS4, X1, and maybe NX releases.

RedToad64

I'm expecting a classic game in the style of Generation's 2D stages. Of course, they'll throw in some sort of marketable gimmick.

G0523

Shot in the dark, but I'm gonna guess that Sega/Sonic Team are working on a compilation of every Sonic game ever for the 25th anniversary and will release it on PS4, XBO, NX, and maybe Wii U. Think of it like Rare Replay. All the Sonic games on one disc. That would be amazing to see. Again, this is a shot in the dark, but seeing Capcom do a compilation for Mega Man and Rare do one for their 30th anniversary makes it seem a little bit possible I think.

TreIII

A morbidly curious part of myself wonders if they may be thinking "bigger" and more ambitious with Sonic than they do usually, and have the next major 3D game be much more of an open world affair.

It's the main thing I could think of that could be able to "wow" people again, in a way that hasn't been seen since Adventure was first unveiled on Dreamcast.

BD1

Banned
Gut feeling is that it'll be revealed alongside or shortly after NX, but then Sega probably wasn't happy it made the Wii U deal.

My money is on Adventure 3, also.

jax

Banned
They said they would be announcing it at the Comic-Con event. As for what it is, I'm hoping it's not Nintendo exclusive for one for a myriad of reasons.

What I want the game to be? Huge, sprawling cities and open world Sonic where you can control the speed and dive trough alleyways and such. That's the sonic game I've wanted since I was like 6.

Ferr986

Funny enough, I've heard that Gens 3DS' Classic Sonic stages literally have the exact same engine ripped from the Genesis originals.

That is not true. They used the same level design as the original game (compared to the remixed stages from the PS360 version), but it's not the same engine. It just that the physics for Classic Sonic are more faitful than the big version.

I expect the game to be SA3, but it's not like I want.

They said they would be announcing it at the Comic-Con event.

Source?

Edit: Oh you mean the July 22nd event. No, Aaron didn't say it'd be announced there, he just implied it'd be there, but it COULD be announced prior, like at E3.

That is not true. They used the same level design as the original game (compared to the remixed stages from the PS360 version), but it's not the same engine. It just that the physics for Classic Sonic are more faitful than the big version.

I expect the game to be SA3, but it's not like I want.

Ah, that was likely it. Thanks! :)

Sonic 2006 was Sonic Adventure 3, and the Sonic Adventure formula reaaally doesn't need to be revisited.

I'm thinking something more along the lines of Sonic 4, but good. They're using the classic sonic for iconography, they updated Sonic 4 Episode 1 for iOS and Android, and they've got the Retro Engine by Christian Whitehead now.

So probably that.

Sonic 2006 was Sonic Adventure 3, and the Sonic Adventure formula reaaally doesn't need to be revisited.

I'm thinking something more along the lines of Sonic 4, but good. They're using the classic sonic for iconography, they updated Sonic 4 Episode 1 for iOS and Android, and they've got the Retro Engine by Christian Whitehead now.

So probably that.

I don't see Sega doing anything with that engine or working with Christian Whitehead again if they won't even make Sonic 3 Remastered.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I'll spectulate a Sonic game that looks okay-to-good on its initial reveal that ends up being mediocre to disastrous upon release.

It's been the M.O. for the last two Sonic releases and I can't see them deviating from that gameplan.

NZerker12

Well there is probably going to be four possible roots they go down. First, continue with LW gameplay and refine it along with perhaps changing the level design. Second, return to the boost formula which Sega knows is the most success they had since the adventure games. Speaking of adventure games perhaps a return to the adventure formula which many people seem to want. Finally a completely new style again.

jax

Banned

So probably that.
Hopefully you're right. It would be cool to see a return to pixel Sonic, provided they have an amazing team working on the pixel art.

MrBadger

I don't see Sega doing anything with that engine or working with Christian Whitehead again if they won't even make Sonic 3 Remastered.

The running theory seems to be that they won't do Sonic 3K because of legal issues surrounding the soundtrack. So there's a reason besides hating me and not wanting my money

TimmiT

I doubt that they'll make a Sonic Adventure 3. They've already basically made it twice (2006 and Unleashed) and both times people didn't like it. And also, I doubt Sega would make much money from a sequel to a fifteen year old game that gets disliked more every time it's re-released.

Largely expecting mediocrity no matter what Sonic Team does. Lost World convinced me they largely threw out what they learned with Colors and Generations; and the dumpster fires that are the Sonic Boom licensed games tells me they completely lost the plot on managing the series in general. (EDIT: And while recent Sega CEOs have promised for future Sonic games to play closer to the Genesis games, Sonic 4: Episode II should be a testament that they really don't give a damn about classic Sonic at all.)

But to entertain pipe dreams, I still long for a proper revival of the Genesis Sonic games and/or a polished restoration of Sonic's gameplay from the first Adventure. I think both are still possible, just not with Sonic Team (as they currently stand).

dickroach

The running theory seems to be that they won't do Sonic 3K because of legal issues surrounding the soundtrack. So there's a reason besides hating me and not wanting my money
that was the theory as to why Earthbound was never re-released in the US, and that turned out to be bunk.
I'm assuming this is also, in fact, bunk.

that was the theory as to why Earthbound was never re-released in the US, and that turned out to be bunk.

There's actually some merit to it. There's a fair amount of evidence (and in some cases, confirmation) that points to certain musicians (read: Michael Jackson and The Jetzons) being involved with Sonic 3's soundtrack; with the musicians involved not exactly being on happy terms with their work or their relationship with Sega in question.

MrBadger

In addition to the reasons already pointed out, the PC version of Sonic 3 replaces several music tracks (Icecap, Launch base, carnival night, miniboss theme) with original compositions and music from Sonic and Knuckles. And we already know that Icecap was composed by the Jetzons.

Sciortino

I'm honestly expecting it to finally be Sonic Adventure 3. I don't have anything to back it up, it's just what I think. Crush 40 coming back is a big thing though. And it'll be for PS4, Xbone and NX.

Mr-Joker

Banned
A game that of the same standard and quality of Generation and Colours and no-where near the quality of Lost Worlds, Boom and 06.

I also want a good Sonic game on the 3DS none of that rushed counterpart of the console version or that shitty Boom crap a proper Sonic game akin of the advance/rush series.

I also do not want a Adventure 3, exploring the over world is boring as there's nothing for Sonic to do.

Revven

I also do not want a Adventure 3, exploring the over world is boring as there's nothing for Sonic to do.

Adventure 3 does not mean there would be a mandatory HUB world. The last officially titled Adventure game (Adventure 2) didn't have any HUB world to speak of.

Rather, what Adventure 3 really means is a more involved storyline with a return of characters outside of just playing Sonic in 3D speed stages (no 2D). No treasure hunting, no mechs. Everyone playable works in the speed stages and only speed stages.

The Adventure speed stages only suffered from early 3D level design problems for Sonic games (random pits), camera, and minor control issues that you could get used to the more you played the game.

I'm expecting a classic game in the style of Generation's 2D stages. Of course, they'll throw in some sort of marketable gimmick.

I would kill for this. Just give me a quality 2D Sonic game with classic controls and the sins of Sonic's past will be forgiven.

MrBadger

Adventure 3 does not mean there would be a mandatory HUB world. The last officially titled Adventure game (Adventure 2) didn't have any HUB world to speak of.

Rather, what Adventure 3 really means is a more involved storyline with a return of characters outside of just playing Sonic in 3D speed stages (no 2D). No treasure hunting, no mechs. Everyone playable works in the speed stages and only speed stages.

The Adventure speed stages only suffered from early 3D level design problems for Sonic games (random pits), camera, and minor control issues that you could get used to the more you played the game.

Whenever people actually start getting into specifics of what they'd want out of a Sonic Adventure 3, they start to realise how little it would actually have to do with the other two. Because they want SA3, but they don't want treasure hunting, mech shooting, overworlds (some do) or Big the Cat. That's 2/3 of SA2 and a significant chunk of SA1, too.

I don't think they need to make SA3 because they can just make anything and give it that title, so long as it has a story. Alternate characters aren't a must either, because some people consider unleashed SA3. And the story can be anything, because it's not like SA2 left any huge cliffhangers that weren't picked up by Heroes and Shadow. And ultimately that's why I find it annoying whenever Sonic Team announce something and a subset of fans say "just make SA3, already!" It's just the Chao everyone's after, tbh.

SaikyoBro

I do have a hunch we're gonna see something with the title "Adventure 3" but I don't know what relation it'll have to the first two games. It's been a while since we've seen Tails, Knuckles, etc. playable in a 3D game and I think they'll want to capitalize on multiple playable characters again, but I have a hard time imagining mech stages or emerald hunting returning.

Maybe we'll see the "boost" stages Unleashed and Generations did so well with, but with a handful of different characters that have different abilities and different ways to complete the levels (as opposed to throwing them into entirely different genres like the Adventure games did). I do miss having a little bit more control over Sonic instead of the levels clearly being designed for "go forward and hold the button" but I don't really know which one I'd prefer or how they'd even pull that off these days.

If they really, really must make sonic adventure 3 (I hope not really), this is how I'd hope to see it.

Restrain yourself to only Sonic/Tails/Knuckles/Shadow if they really have to have multiple characters.

Sonic: Gotta go fast boost type stages we're used to.

Tails: Same stages as sonic, but altered significantly for tails abilities. No boost ability, but limited use of flying, and boost rings ala the sonic adventure 1 stages to allow different paths.

Sonic (again) or Shadow: 2d stages ala sonic rush, with boosting similar to those games.
Knuckles: Same 2d stages, no boosting again, but make use of knuckles ability to travel vertically and over long gaps/tough walls for different paths through the stages.

That way, they can reasonably reuse content to make the game feasible to create, but without going insane on the repetition.

RK128

While I doubt the next game is Nintendo only, as they must be interested in testing the waters of how Sonic would sell on PS4/X1, the following game will likely be Nintendo only and will the NX showcase game (ala Secret Rings on Wii).

Regarding the game itself though, expecting one of the following:
-Sonic Adventure 3 using Lost World's core gameplay as a base
-Classic Sonic running on the Retro Engine and having a Sonic CD-style presentation
-Modern Sonic Collection (Lost World, Generations (with Unleashed's stages) and Colors)
-Classic Sonic Anthology (Sonic 1, 2, 3&K, Knuckles Chaotix, Sonic CD, Sonic Pocket Adventure, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Triple Trouble, Sonic 1/2 Master System)

Based on the news we've been getting, they don't seem to have an anniversary game coming.

Feels like they've been hiding the truth of not actually having a game to celebrate it for this year.

marmoka

Banned

Sonic 3 and Knuckles Remake with classic Sonic using Generations engine...

The happiest day of my life!!

Top Bottom