• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finding a good lawyer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mint

Banned
I got a speeding ticket in Waxahachie, Texas and I won't be able to take a defensive driving course or get probation. (86 on a 55). I'm afraid if I pay the fine my insurance will get jack up like crazy..cuz I alraedy got into 2 accidents. Does anyone know a good place to find a lawyer regarding speeding and such?

Pimpwerx

Why pay a lawyer to do what you can yourself? If you can drive to the court, go and save yourself a couple hundred bucks. Plead to the officer when you get there. Ask him to reduce it to a seatbelt or something. Something without points. If he refuses, then wait to get in front of the judge and make up a sob story about being a college student and not being able to pay the fine AND increase in points. Ask for leniency. I had a 79 in a 55 reduced to a 65 in a 55, and only a $50 fine. I got the points, but at least I wasn't bankrupted. PEACE.

mint

Banned
What do you mean by points? As in, marks on your record? Do those judges fall for that stuff easily?

Thanks in advance!

Phoenix

If you want neither points nor a ticket on your record just get an attorney (they are usually overflowing at some of the courthouses anyways) on the cheap to appeal to the judge that this was your first offense and that you want driving school/community service and the fine (which is what they REALLY want).

You'll be out in 30 minutes.

Or you can go it alone. I did this with mine, but I was fighting the ticket itself not trying to get away from the consequences of speeding. If you don't know the system at least do yourself a favor and get a jury trial if the judge won't take your appeal (which many don't) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom