• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Image of Control's spin off (Condor) Revealed

Draugoth

Gold Member
105603.png

Condor was announced in 2021 as a four-player PvE game set in the very strange world of Control. At the time, it was being developed in partnership with publisher 505 Games, but that situation changed earlier this year when Remedy reacquired control of Control from 505 in a deal worth €17 million.

We haven't heard much about it since, except that work is continuing, but the new financial report (via RPS) sheds a bit more light on what players can look forward to.

"After the Hiss Invasion, the Oldest House is under lockdown: a boiling pot of volatile and dangerous supernatural forces. Trapped within is the last vestige of the Federal Bureau of Control who will need to take a stand and push back to regain control. Desperate times require desperate measures. And everyone’s needed."

via pCGamer

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Oh yeah, because when I think of “Control”, the first thing that comes to mind are four soldiers leaning stoically against a wall, ready to take on co-op waves of enemies.

I’ll bet $20 this is (or at least started) as a live service game.

Throw Up Stephen Colbert GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Looks to be a 4 player co op game , and likely aimed to fund their other games through MTX.

Could be unique and good though. I’m curious.

Perrott

Gold Member
Appealing to their core audience I see.🙄

Let's see how many more people they can alienate.
You're getting Control 2 as well, so what are you exactly complaining about? If anything, it's good that they're branching out because Control and Alan Wake 2 (which still hasn't recouped its development costs) aren't successful enough to keep an independent AAA studio like Remedy running in the mid to long term.

It's actually in your best interest as a fan of Remedy to see them succeed outside their niche, so that the singleplayer games would be able to enjoy of better budgets and be higher quality products as a result of that.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Oh yeah, because when I think of “Control”, the first thing that comes to mind are four soldiers leaning stoically against a wall, ready to take on co-op waves of enemies.

Imo that key art feels like something very much in the same vein as Control. They look like members of a unit taking a smoke break.
It gives me a similar impression that I got from Control's world-building in how it made dealing with the supernatural seem like an actual occupation.

Puscifer

You're getting Control 2 as well, so what are you exactly complaining about? If anything, it's good that they're branching out because Control and Alan Wake 2 (which still hasn't recouped its development costs) aren't successful enough to keep an independent AAA studio like Remedy running in the mid to long term.

It's actually in your best interest as a fan of Remedy to see them succeed outside their niche, so that the singleplayer games would be able to enjoy of better budgets and be higher quality products as a result of that.
People really hated Saga Anderson which is hilarious to me that it screamed diversity apparently yet no one questioned why some tiny North American town was primarily Finnish lol.

StueyDuck

I mean... as much as I enjoyed control. I kind of don't want to be in the oldest house again.

I imagine this is just some 4 player wave based shooter, that wouldn't be too exciting. If they can pull off a co-op metroidvania style game in the vein of control then maybe.

Something Is giving off redfall vibes here though

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I hard bet against Hell Divers 2 and was proved wrong hard, so i ain't gonna bet on this game.
But I love the Control universe and I'm a huge fan of Remedy and their game engine, so I'm hoping it does well.
They've got a sale from me either way.
I'll be this games "let me solo her"

That's quite a risky bet you are taking there.

The game is a PvE shooter obviously its not going to be a live service game.

🙄

Last edited:

Dazraell

I hard bet against Hell Divers 2 and was proved wrong hard, so i ain't gonna bet on this game.
But I love the Control universe and I'm a huge fan of Remedy and their game engine, so I'm hoping it does well.

🙄
It's apparently a smaller and more experimental game, so it's probably worth to keep expectations low. Unless multiplayer-focused game with seasonal updates automatically means this is a game as a service regardless of its scope and extent of these updates, then yeah

From the article it sounds more like their version of Killing Floor, but I'm hoping it's more than that.

It would be amazing if this were similar to Lethal Company or even Resident Evil Outbreak in some form.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I love Control, but if this is just about shooting a million hiss people, but in co-op this time, I'm not very interested.

SJRB

Gold Member
I was replaying Control last month and the entire time I was thinking "man this would be baller as a four player co-op shooter".

I love four player co-op shooters. Make everything four player co-op.

The first Remedy game worth a damn. Let's gooooo!
lol. As though Max Payne did not shake up the industry.

Picture looks boring af. But who knows, maybe this is their Apex Legends and maybe it is not like Titanfall killed by its offspring. Sure hope Remedy would outsource their open world ideas to something else and get back to linear stuff they were and are best at.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Remedy's biggest problem is that the action parts of their games aren't all that.

The story, ideas, lore, setting. Top tier. Maybe the best.

I'm interested to see what this ends up being, but tbh, I think Remedy at this point might as well be making movies.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

🙄

The difference there and here is you where betting against developers who have made 4 player coop games for pretty much their entire career. First with Magicka and later with Helldivers, hell the focus on friendly fire has been kept throughout their titles, so in a way they have a proven track record of delivering outstanding coop action games. You where betting against that history.

Here your betting against a studio who has primarily done single player story focussed titles where one of the core mechanics is how much they can make a AAA game feel AA.

I would also argue the gameplay has kind of sucked since they left Max Payne in terms of shooting... I think in this case any attempt at a coop shooter should he met with skepticism. Not because it's impossible for them to pull it off, but because it's never been the strength of the studio.

Kydd BlaZe

Given how many projects Remedy has on their plate currently, something tells me this is gonna be a smaller, barebones, extraction type shooter. Really hoping this isn’t the case.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
lol. As though Max Payne did not shake up the industry.

Picture looks boring af. But who knows, maybe this is their Apex Legends and maybe it is not like Titanfall killed by its offspring. Sure hope Remedy would outsource their open world ideas to something else and get back to linear stuff they were and are best at.

Will be funny if / when Condor becomes Remedys most successful game in studio history.

Neon Xenon

There's not much to glean from this first image. Aside from "They look like they've seen some shit."

Waiting for actual gameplay details. Other than that...I hope it's good.

Hugare

Clearly GAAS

Sad that they have to chase this trend to pay the bills (wouldn't be much different if they were owned by Sony or any other big company)

I doubt that such a storytelling focused studio is glad about making a GAAS. But you do what you gotta do.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

I wonder if this is like left 4 dead, but in the control universe. I think that could be fun if it's not a GAAS.

Last edited:
I assume those guys are explorers that dive into the weird dimensions from control. Interesting premise, will be generic and deadpan as fuck

I’m not seeing any “Control” in that first pic. Sort of looks like it will just be another live service, multiplayer military-style shooter. Where’s Jesse Faden?

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Remedy became in less than one year from a beloved to one of the most hated studio of the industry. Incredible, so many bad decisions
When did this happen?
What did they fuck up last year (don't say EGS or Digital only).

Alan Wake 2 is loved and Control was many people's GOTY 2019.
They announced Control 2.
Even the financial bomb Quantum Break has a cult following, and I've seen more than a few people asking for a sequel sans the TV show shit to keep the budget low.

Last edited:
Top Bottom