• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First reviews hitting for HBO's Vinyl

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/vinyl-tv-review-861155
If you love music, then there’s something majestic about the passionate and perhaps impossible search that writer and showrunner Terence Winter goes on in the new HBO series Vinyl, trying to find the euphoric electrical cord that runs through great rock 'n' roll — from the searing guitar to the pounding drum and the propulsive bass — and ends up in your head. The series posits, rightly, that you know it when you hear it, even if over time, you've been fooled by the sound of something that may imitate greatness but not quite get there

The two-hour premiere is directed beautifully by Martin Scorsese, unfolding in terrain well-loved by the director — the mean streets of early 1970s New York City. Vinyl, which is executive produced by Mick Jagger, Scorsese, Winter (and a host of others), is a massively ambitious swing by HBO to not only capture a period but a scene — that moment in time when a strand of more established rock music was growing creatively fertile again (think: David Bowie, The Rolling Stones) and colliding with the emergence of glam rock, punk rock, disco and hip-hop.

Music being such a personal preference, who knows if the show will be a hit for HBO. But creatively it’s a thing of real beauty, attempting to tell stories of people absolutely enamored with music on a life-altering level. Cannavale, already established and known to crush a scene on demand, takes his work to an entirely new stratum here — Vinyl pulsates in every scene he’s in.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts...inyl-is-pure-rock-n-roll-fun/article28213349/
One of the defining elements of Vinyl is its blunt depiction of an era when people bought vinyl records, the radio stations played them and the business was fuelled by money and cocaine. We see DJs paid to play new records with cash and coke. We see orgies hosted by radio station owners who believe they are the real power brokers in a multibillion dollar business. Vinyl is drenched in music, there is barely a scene that doesn’t have classic pop and rock playing. And all of it feels authentic, anchored in Jagger’s stories and staged by Scorsese with formidable verve.

Been pining hard for this since Boardwalk ended. So close now.

Does the show reference actual bands or are they approximations of the real thing. I saw what looked like the NY Dolls in a commercial.

I always figure an HBO show will be worse than its reviews given the undeserved cachet HBO still has from back when it was a truly good channel. Combine that with the fact that Boardwalk mostly sucked and I'm miles away from being hyped for this, though I do plan to give it a shot.

harSon

Banned
I always figure an HBO show will be worse than its reviews given the undeserved cachet HBO has given its recent output. Combine that with the fact that Boardwalk mostly sucked and I'm miles away from being hyped for this, though I do plan to give it a shot.

come again

Koko

Banned
I always figure an HBO show will be worse than its reviews given the undeserved cachet HBO still has from back when it was a truly good channel. Combine that with the fact that Boardwalk mostly sucked and I'm miles away from being hyped for this, though I do plan to give it a shot.

ironattack.gif

TheOddOne

More reviews.

- TVLine: Vinyl: HBO's '70s Drama Rocks Hard (Though Its Soul Is a Work in Progress).
Vinyl may hit one or two questionable notes in its first five episodes, but fueled by a beautifully realized sense of place and Cannavale’s certain-to-be-Emmy-nominated performance, it’s definitely wort'Vinyl': TV Reviewh a spin.
- Billboard: 'Vinyl': TV Review.
Music being such a personal preference, who knows if Vinyl will be a hit for HBO. But creatively it’s a thing of real beauty, attempting to tell stories of people absolutely enamored with music on a life-altering level. Cannavale, already established and known to crush a scene on demand, takes his work to an entirely new stratum here — Vinyl pulsates in every scene he’s in. He transports the series precisely because he gets the mandate Winter, Jagger and Scorsese must have laid out for him: put your finger in the rock 'n' roll socket and tell the story of what it’s like to need that sonic drug.
I'll do OT duties if nobody is lined up for it.

A (good and respected British) reviewer acquaintance of mine who has watched it said it is incredibly bloated and indulgent. He was not a fan. For what that's worth.

Messi

Any word on Olivia Wilde's performance in this? I have been excited about this from the second she was cast. Can't wait. Love Bobby too.

I went to the premiere a couple of weeks ago. It's amazing, though it does drag a bit in the middle of first episode, primarily because it's setting so much up. The music is amazing, and surprisingly diverse...though it may have only been surprising because I went in not knowing much about the show.

Andrew Dice Clay's
role is amazing-didn't even realize it was him.

Does the show reference actual bands or are they approximations of the real thing. I saw what looked like the NY Dolls in a commercial.

It references actual bands and record labels.

While I'm sure this will be well made, I think I'm personally at my limit for these sort of "gangster" shows which focus on glamorizing a drug filled hedonistic lifestyle half of the time and the other half showing the protagonist bent over a sink peering into the mirror bleary eyed the next morning. I guess it comes from the Scorsese films and down through Sopranos to Boardwalk. Even though this isn't about the mafia, it feels like its been done before to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom