• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Trailer for BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY (Starring Rami Malek as Freddie Mercury. Out Nov 1.)

I'm not a fan of Queen but I was kind of shocked when I heard the news that Rami Malek is going to be playing as Freddie Mercuy. I really thought he was Caucasian.
[MEDIA]

Gander

Banned
I know it's about Freddy and they don't want to do anything to take the spot light off of him but it would be really cool if they take the story up to the point where Seal joins Queen. I think Freddy would have been proud to hand the torch to a vocalist like Seal.

cryptoadam

Banned
Don't like Queen? What kind of Blasphomy is this TheShadowLord TheShadowLord :)

I think the best part of this movie is going to be the trailer where you get to hear all the cool queen tracks. Movie I bet ends up being meh but we will see.

Ka-Kui

I can't judge the movie, but damn I'm surprised Rami Malek's pulling off Mr Mercury quite well.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I hope (for the fans' sake) this turns out alright. It went through some mild development hell with Sacha Baron Cohen quitting (would've been incredible), Brian May throwing a tantrum about the subject matter, new director etc.

Don't like Queen? What kind of Blasphomy is this TheShadowLord TheShadowLord :)

I think the best part of this movie is going to be the trailer where you get to hear all the cool queen tracks. Movie I bet ends up being meh but we will see.
Not sure what you're implying here =\. I like some of their songs but never go out of my way to follow them. I had assumed Freddie was born in Britain because Queen is from Britain so I thought he would have been caucasian like the other band members.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Not sure what you're implying here =\. I like some of their songs but never go out of my way to follow them. I had assumed Freddie was born in Britain because Queen is from Britain so I thought he would have been caucasian like the other band members.

Only implication is that Queen is awesome and I haven't meet one person who didn't like them LOL. Just joking around since everyone I know universally praises Queen.

One of the greatest rock bands out there, and Freddie probably the best frontman in history.

From what I have seen rami does a great job speaking like Freddie and he is a similar build but maaaan i would of loved to see what borat could could of done with the role...he has way more presence

Doczu

How can you tell the true story in a PG13? Dropping Sacha Baron Cohen was a mistake.
Yeah, when i've read the interview where he stated his vision of the movie, with all the ups and downs of both Freddie and the band, with all the crazy stuff - i was sad it went south.
lolwut? Rami is doing an awesome job...
It's not that he doesn't do an awesome job, it's that Sacha had a different (better IMO) vision of the movie but the band didn't want to show the spicier stuff of their history.

Yeah, when i've read the interview where he stated his vision of the movie, with all the ups and downs of both Freddie and the band, with all the crazy stuff - i was sad it went south.

Yep. I think Rami looks the part it's just so far his accent appears to be all over the place at times. But time will tell I guess.

BANGS

Banned
It's not that he doesn't do an awesome job, it's that Sacha had a different (better IMO) vision of the movie but the band didn't want to show the spicier stuff of their history.
Interesting, what did you think was better about it? Just the sex stuff?

While the current version of the movie DOES indeed talk about this stuff in good detail based on what we're seeing, I think it's best to take one of the other scenes as a learning lesson as well. Some press guy asks him about his personal life and he says "What more do you want to hear? I make music..." or something like that. I personally am MUCH more interested in an all around story that covers everything about the band and their creative process and everything than a movie centered around one guy's cock...

Looks great. I recently saw Love & Mercy on Netflix which was about the life of Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys around the time of the classic album Pet Sounds. It almost brought me to tears to watch the studio recording stuff. Beautiful music, so I hope this one works out too.

Interesting, what did you think was better about it? Just the sex stuff?

While the current version of the movie DOES indeed talk about this stuff in good detail based on what we're seeing, I think it's best to take one of the other scenes as a learning lesson as well. Some press guy asks him about his personal life and he says "What more do you want to hear? I make music..." or something like that. I personally am MUCH more interested in an all around story that covers everything about the band and their creative process and everything than a movie centered around one guy's cock...

Wow what a childish ignorant post, which showcases your lack of knowledge of Freddie Mercury's life.

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
Wow what a childish ignorant post, which showcases your lack of knowledge of Freddie Mercury's life.
Hence why I want a movie that actually showcases his life and not just his sex life... lol you don't need an R rating to show me his work and his experiences...

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
Hence you've proved yet again you know so little about Freddie Mercury.
No shit, do you actually have a point or are you just trying hard to showcase your lack of knowledge of film production? Do you think your knowledge of Freddie Mercury somehow Trumps basic film production techniques? You don't have to show R rated material just to send and R rated message...

No shit, do you actually have a point or are you just trying hard to showcase your lack of knowledge of film production? Do you think your knowledge of Freddie Mercury somehow Trumps basic film production techniques? You don't have to show R rated material just to send and R rated message...

Well if you can't by now work out what mine and others points were then I have nothing more to say to you.

BANGS

Banned
Well if you can't by now work out what mine and others points were then I have nothing more to say to you.
The only point I'm seeing is that you want to see detailed sex scenes, if I'm wrong please correct me instead of throwing out insults with nothing to back it up...

Freddie was a very private man and he did have an inner circle of freinds which were separate to his band who all happened to be all Gay and they liked to party quite a bit
his bandmates were quite oblivious to large chunks of it and he didn't always get along with them so i can sort of see why band didn't want to make a movie about Freddies big gay parties as they were probably not there and there would be many myths and not alot of truths.

He was a very Clever/Funny and shy person to those outside of his circle but he stage persona is like him putting on a mask to perform so i hope they focus on this side of him

One of my favourite stories i heard is one about him dressing Princess Di up like a man and going to a gay bar with her
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...na-dress-man-visit-gay-bar-Kenny-Everett.html

Last edited:
Top Bottom