• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For those that watch F1, how do you compare Verstappen's dominace versus Hamilton's

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I only know F1 from Drive to survive. But wouldn't it be more exciting if everyone had the same car and you dominated through skill and not because your car is significantly better than the others.?
No. The innovation and freedom to customize the car adds to it all.

It's truly a TEAM sport. Not just whoever bought the best driver.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Max is a whiny baby unless he's winning.
ice age sid GIF

DJ12

Current Red Bull car is the best one on the grid, but I don't think it's as dominant as the Mercedes car during their top years. Max simply utilizes absolute maximum from the car and he doesn't make mistakes. Even back when RBR didn't have the car (or specifically - the engine) to compete with Mercedes for the championship he was still fighting with Bottas and often finishing ahead of him in P2.

It's true he generally had weaker teammates, but I think it's also because his driving style and setup preferences are different. Obviously the car is built around him so the second driver has to adapt.
He doesn't make mistakes as he's not pushing or being pushed.

To say his cars not the most dominate is just wrong. Let's look at some of the races that he's started further down the grid as proof of what the car can actually do, not the races he starts first and manages a gap for the entire race.

In those races he's been 1-2 seconds faster than anyone else in the race other than Sergio.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Max is a whiny baby unless he's winning.
ice age sid GIF
Lewis spent all last season and the season before that whining about how bad the car was lol

Toto literally had to say "Yeah we know the car is bad. Just drive it" at him on the radio on live television.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
I must not be explaining myself correctly.

6hCwZt.jpg

:D /s

I'm sure there was some rule change 2 or 3 years ago because that's when everyone used it as much as possible. Carbon fiber is a lot older than that.

Carbon fibre has been around for years, mainly because it's strength to weight ratio and it's heat resistant which helps with dispersal over retention. Like with anything, removing weight innovatively usually comes at the cost of reliability so new materials are introduced gradually as they mature/become more efficient.

There are other developments being worked on though - usually teams will trial a material in other ways before sticking it on the performance cars. Like flax is being trialled in some motor series now, as a sustainable replacement for carbon fibre but say Mclaren are only trialling it in certain areas of their car (like the seat). For now, V Carbon will still be around a while.

It might seem more prevalent to you since 2020+, because new regulations came into play and until every component is optimised it's a cheap way to save weight (read as no development/engineering needed). This is important because all teams were struggling to take weight out the car also due to budget caps being introduced the year before so cheap weight reduction = essential. There's also little risk removing paiont as opposed to changing the wing shape or nose mounts which can cost you time and then redevelopment costs.

Fun fact, the 'silver arrows' title was born because of this approach:

It was a simple idea in 1934 that made silver the colour of racing success – success that persists through today. It all began on the eve of the Eifel race at the weighing station on the Nürburgring. The regulations allowed no vehicle to weigh more than 750 kilograms. The brand new W 25 weighed one kilogram too much however. Alfred Neubauer, manager of the Mercedes-Benz racing team, had the white paint ground off, leaving a purely aluminium body that sparkled in silver. The next morning Manfred von Brauchitsch took his seat at the wheel of the lightened, 750 kg car and won the race with a commanding performance. Later he was to tell the press: “To drive a Silver Arrow is an honour.”

Last edited:

Tams

Both extremely talented, both extremely boring.

I wish there were a show that purely focussed on the rest of the pack, not the front. And I think any drivers the cront catch up to should not only do their best to not be overtaken, but required to prevent being overtaken. Make the boring fucks at the front work for once.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
What is Perez's excuse then?
Shit driver. Still second place in the championship. Would bomb harder than Bottas on any other team.

That's exactly what Formula 1 is though:

Formula 1 is called so because it refers to the set of rules and regulations that govern the sport of top-tier international single-seater auto racing. The "formula" in Formula 1 refers to these regulations that dictate the specifications of the cars, including engine size, weight, and other technical details. The "1" signifies that it is the premier class of racing, indicating it's the highest level of competition in the world of motorsports.

Basically it's not just who can drive the fastest but which team can innovate, design and engineer the best car. It would actually be much more boring if every car was the same and there weren't the nuances like variable deg, downforce, chassis, suspension rods etc.

You might be interested in following A2RL in April which would be an approximate simulation of what you're suggesting though

Imo, F1 would be most fun if one season was a free 4 all (within regulation) tech wise, the dominating car gets to be the car for every team the next season. With that knowledge again a year of tech free 4 all. Rinse and repeat.
We would have a season where raw driving skill is paramount followed by a season of tech magic. Would save cost for everyone involved and be a lot more fun to watch.

I hate the fact that a year of dominance can lead to a streak of dominance. Because of cost cap, timing etc.

Last edited:

thuGG_pl

Both extremely talented, both extremely boring.

I wish there were a show that purely focussed on the rest of the pack, not the front. And I think any drivers the cront catch up to should not only do their best to not be overtaken, but required to prevent being overtaken. Make the boring fucks at the front work for once.
It's hard to be boring when you're in a dominant car. Max wasn't boring before 2022. Same with Hamilton at the beginning.

Jorav

Have been watching for close to 20 years, the dominance of single drivers like Schumi, Vettel and Hamilton were no different to now, i just believe the racing overall has gotten worse.

Marlenus

It is fair to say that RB are far better operationally than Merc have ever been and you paid that with a great car and a great driver who does not seem to have an off weekend and you get sheer dominance.

If the RB had Merc operations I don't think Max would have 10 wins on the trot, strategy or pit stops would have been fluffed even if driver and car were absolutely on it.

That makes it harder to compare directly to the Merc / Lewis years because they did leave more on the table but how much was due to Lewis / Car / operations is hard to tell.

thuGG_pl

Why didn't they use it to this degree before 2022?
Maybe they had more freedom regarding the weight, maybe some parts become heavier and they needed to fight the weight somewhere. All I know there is no new carbon rule, if there was such it would be pretty easy to google it, there is nothing about it.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Maybe they had more freedom regarding the weight, maybe some parts become heavier and they needed to fight the weight somewhere. All I know there is no new carbon rule, if there was such it would be pretty easy to google it, there is nothing about it.
The rule change would be more subtle than "The carbon fiber rule". These teams understood the advantages of carbon fiber before 2022. Teams fully embraced it, universally, because of a rule or regulation change in the year prior.

thuGG_pl

The rule change would be more subtle than "The carbon fiber rule". These teams understood the advantages of carbon fiber before 2022. Teams fully embraced it, universally, because of a rule or regulation change in the year prior.
But there were no change it carbon fibre ruling. I follow the sport for 18 years, I follow forums, sites, YT channels etc. There was no such change lately.
The rulebook is public.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
But there were no change it carbon fibre ruling. I follow the sport for 18 years, I follow forums, sites, YT channels etc. There was no such change lately.
The rulebook is public.
Why did all the team embrace it fully in 2022? Why didn't they embrace it in 2021? What changed?

thuGG_pl

I would argue that's the rule / regulation change that was less subtle than simply being labeled "carbon fiber rule".
Ah FFS it wasn't a rule change related to carbon fibre at all.
If that was such a case then introducing the KERS or hybrid power would be a "Carbon Fiber rule change" by your standards, just because it increased the weight. Stop diggin this pointless rabbit whole.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Ah FFS it wasn't a rule change related to carbon fibre at all.
If that was such a case then introducing the KERS or hybrid power would be a "Carbon Fiber rule change" by your standards, just because it increased the weight. Stop diggin this pointless rabbit whole.
We shall agree to disagree. I knew there was a reason all the teams jumped on the technology at the same time.

thuGG_pl

We shall agree to disagree. I knew there was a reason all the teams jumped on the technology at the same time.
There was of course, but it wasn't because there was some carbon fibre rule. It was unreleated to carbon fibre at all, the teams didn't need to change anything regarding the carbon fibre. The did get rid of the paint!

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Hamilton is 1000x better than Max, who only won that championship due to fraud.

Max should not have won that championship that way, but it's idiotic to suggest he's not a phenomenal driver. His utter dominance of the last two years, against a very decent team mate proves this.

Hamilton is better - but not by much.

Both of them have benefited from cars vastly better than the competition.

Fernando Alonso is probably still the most naturally gifted driver on the grid. If only his mouth hadn't screwed him on contracts in the past.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Fernando Alonso is probably still the most naturally gifted driver on the grid. If only his mouth hadn't screwed him on contracts in the past.
What did he say in the past that got him into trouble? He was the one I was rooting for last year. Guy gives off the most magnificent energy.

Mohonky

It's been over 2 years.

It's time to move on lol
Nah, it's one of the single biggest fuck ups in FIA history.

They made a decision in the last few minutes of the season that determined that years WDC.

Decades from now people will still talk about it the way people talk about the antics between Senna and Prost that decided those titles.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Nah, it's one of the single biggest fuck ups in FIA history.

They made a decision in the last few minutes of the season that determined that years WDC.

Decades from now people will still talk about it the way people talk about the antics between Senna and Prost that decided those titles.

Fuck up? It was the most spectacular ending to a F1 racing season ever. It was the best promotion the sport could ever get. And Verstappen was the deserved winner at the end. He had the better season over all and he proved that victory was deserved by dominating the next two seasons.

Marlenus

Fuck up? It was the most spectacular ending to a F1 racing season ever. It was the best promotion the sport could ever get. And Verstappen was the deserved winner at the end. He had the better season over all and he proved that victory was deserved by dominating the next two seasons.

It was a nonsense.

Max crumbled and got away with lots in the last few races that would have cost most drivers the title.

Crumbled:
Brazil, defending air twice giving Lewis the run into T4.
Qatar, not slowing for the yellow flag.
Jeddah, crashing in Q3, 2 out of 3 starts were poor.
AD, flat spotting the mediums in quali forcing a start on the strategically worse soft, fluffing his start despite a tyre advantage.

Got away with:
Brazil, sight seeing tour.
Jeddah, deliberately brake testing an opponent.
AD, overtaking behind the safety car.

Despite the stewarding decisions going his way it still took the race director breaking the rules to get him over the line such was his capitulation in those events.

Last edited:

Mohonky

Found the dutchmen ^

It was spectacular because it made a complete mockery of the regulations and fixed the finale that would determine the WDC. The pair of drivers went into the final race on equal points. Hardly 'the better' season, and Merc and Hamilton did everything that had to be done in terms of winning the final race only to have the rug pulled out from under them after the regulations were totally disregarded at the the very very final moment.

cormack12

Gold Member
They made a bad decision on not calling a red flag, and then made it worse by creating a one lap shootout where one of the drivers was at a significant disadvantage on worn tyres. If they had red flagged and everyone was on new tyres with a grid start then it would have been an exciting end. All we watched was gimped prey being hunted down.

You have to ask yourself was that the way you want to watch history not being made.

I like both drivers but that was blatantly a few bad calls that decided who took the title. The sad thing is in hindsight it didn't really matter given the new Red Bull too. Max was going to win a wdc the next season anyway.

It was a nonsense.

Max crumbled and got away with lots in the last few races that would have cost most drivers the title.

Crumbled:
Brazil, defending air twice giving Lewis the run into T4.
Qatar, not slowing for the yellow flag.
Jeddah, crashing in Q3, 2 out of 3 starts were poor.
AD, flat spotting the mediums in quali forcing a start on the strategically worse soft, fluffing his start despite a tyre advantage.

Got away with:
Brazil, sight seeing tour.
Jeddah, deliberately brake testing an opponent.
AD, overtaking behind the safety car.

Despite the stewarding decisions going his way it still took the race director breaking the rules to get him over the line such was his capitulation in those events.
Well yeah, after Silverstone all gloves were off. Fuck you think this is a sport for Care Bears. It's a piranha club.

Top Bottom