• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Rare Dev Say There's Not An Audience For A New Banjo-Kazooie

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
To be honest though a Banjo could work but make it a budget level game. It doesn't need to be AAA.

Honestly if I'm Rare, I'd make it for the Switch where we know it would sell the best and then have a superior upscaled version on Xbox and Gamepass. It's win win really
It might work but then again, we're thinking like back to 90's Rare too and I highly doubt they'd make a move more like their predecessors. The IP was on Nintendo too and you're right, Rare isn't going to be expected to put something out pushing that 30 fps for Switch. However, if sales pick up and there's interest moreso with Gamepass. Easy to see something they're willing to save the added expensive of printing physical for something people may just call 'an upscaled Switch game' and lose there. Honestly, if we're all Rare we could all do much better.

Ristifer

Fucking disgusting what the gaming enviroment became.

They don't design games because they want to anymore. That's why we get so many shitty soulless AAA games.
Pretty much. The passion projects are only indies now. The rest is a cesspool of boardroom-safe ideas.

• Treasure
Reactions: Fuz

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Mars First Logistics is so good. Reminds me of nuts and bolts.
They could at least port nuts and bolts !!!!!!!!!!

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Replace Sam Fisher with Mario.

-1523458172429.jpg

Last edited:
God damn it. Look, I have never truly played a Banjo Kazooie game. But these types of games deserve a resurgence. I am a big Souls like and RPG player these days. BUT I want to see these types of games come back. I say this bc if I could see new Sly Cooper or Gex games I would totally dip back into the genre.

Because think about it - haven't recent studies shown that most gamers are 30-50? Or something like that. I bet that nostalgia would bring people back to their childhoods. Because these are definitely not my type of games these days, but I would go back if the studios made new ones true to the original premise #BrongBackTomba

mcjmetroid

It might work but then again, we're thinking like back to 90's Rare too and I highly doubt they'd make a move more like their predecessors. The IP was on Nintendo too and you're right, Rare isn't going to be expected to put something out pushing that 30 fps for Switch. However, if sales pick up and there's interest moreso with Gamepass. Easy to see something they're willing to save the added expensive of printing physical for something people may just call 'an upscaled Switch game' and lose there. Honestly, if we're all Rare we could all do much better.
Yes this is true. They don't seem to make the best decision.

There is a market for a banjo game for sure. Just not a AAA budget market and also not exclusive to Xbox and PC.

I think Microsoft should be more than up for releasing a game on switch the same time as gamepass. It'll also help their case with the ftc going forward.

There is a market for a banjo game for sure. Just not a AAA budget market and also not exclusive to Xbox and PC.

I think Microsoft should be more than up for releasing a game on switch the same time as gamepass. It'll also help their case with the ftc going forward.
I don’t think it needs to be on the Switch. A Hat in Time sold over a million copies prior to the switch release and Psychonauts 2 sold pretty well despite being on Gamepass.

mcjmetroid

I don’t think it needs to be on the Switch. A Hat in Time sold over a million copies prior to the switch release and Psychonauts 2 sold pretty well despite being on Gamepass.
It doesn't need it but well.... it really should be. Nintendo fans would eat it up and would no doubt sell better there any on xbox.
Remember Banjo is a former Nintendo property.. he's even in Smash bros.

Buggy Loop

Not with that attitude.

I was about to say the exact same thing

In a world where Ratchet and Clank has success, Mario is milked like a holy cow, how can there be no place for Banjo? They just have to handle it well and maybe even reinvent it. Go more Ratchet like, like franchise building in the likes that you want to make a movie for kids out of it, ditch the Rare collect-a-thon mentality.

Nonsense. Compete nonsense. The games sold like hotcakes on n64, they’ll sell now. Every time they’re re-released they create a buzz. The announcement of BK coming to N64 NSO in 2021 made a huge splash. There’s clearly still a lot of interest there

Rodolink

sorry but that's bulls, how can they ignore there's no "audience"??? there wouldn't be a banjo kazooie playable character in smash bros, there wouldn't be a yooka laylee, and hats on time.
crazy the creators themselves think that sounds weird.
but i agree the humor needs to be something spot on top work.

Codes 208

I mean if you sit on it long enough, people will either forget or stop caring.

But the buzz from the smash bros reveal does prove imo the audience exists….just not on xbox

Last edited:

Apocryphon

It doesn't need it but well.... it really should be. Nintendo fans would eat it up and would no doubt sell better there any on xbox.
Remember Banjo is a former Nintendo property.. he's even in Smash bros.
Banjo wasn’t a Nintendo property and Nintendo didn’t own Rare. Nintendo had a 49% stake in Rare but the reason the company was able to take Banjo with it when the 49% stake was transferred to Microsoft was because Rare retained ownership over its properties. Rare was a 2nd party studio under Nintendo.

mcjmetroid

Banjo wasn’t a Nintendo property and Nintendo didn’t own Rare. Nintendo had a 49% stake in Rare but the reason the company was able to take Banjo with it when the 49% stake was transferred to Microsoft was because Rare retained ownership over its properties. Rare was a 2nd party studio under Nintendo.
I think you're missing my point completely.

Top Bottom