• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fox changes release dates for Deadpool 2, New Mutants, and Gambit

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
'X-Men' Shake-Up: 'Deadpool 2,' 'Gambit,' 'New Mutants' Get New Dates (Exclusive)
Fox is shaking up the release schedule of its X-Men movies, giving Deadpool 2, New Mutants and Gambit new opening dates.
In what is sure to be a treat for Deadpool fans, the highly-anticipated sequel to the 2016 Ryan Reynolds smash is being pushed up two weeks, from June 1 to May 18.
The move put the action comedy against Sony's Slender Man, but more importantly, has it opening one week before Disney's Solo: A Star Wars Story. It’s a strategic play as even second weeks have been exceptionally strong for Star Wars movies. (The Last Jedi earned a big $71.5 million in its second weekend in December.)
New Mutants, Josh Boone’s horror-tinged take on Marvel’s teen heroes, gets pushed back by 10 months. The movie, which stars Anya Taylor-Joy, Maisie Williams and Charlie Heaton, is jumping from April 13 to Feb. 22, 2019.
Finally, Gambit is seeing its release date move from Feb. 14, 2019 to June 7, 2019. The Channing Tatum vehicle just lost its director — Gore Verbinski exited Thursday — and the search is on for a replacement.

Wow, lots of changes. Keep in mind this isn't Fox & Disney coordination, their deal hasn't been approved yet and they legally can't even coordinate things like this until it does. So basically they moved Deadpool to get out of the way from Solo in its second weekend. New Mutants...I'm calling bullshit on their reasoning. They could've found room for it after Deadpool but before Dark Phoenix hits in November, especially given its horror pastiche. A full year pushback looks like them burying a turd. The current cut must be a dog's breakfast

And like always, Gambit just isn't happening. That and Justice League Dark, I've lost track of all the directors attached to those projects.

Last edited:

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
New Mutants being pushed back by nearly an entire year is not good news.

Yeah, I'd bet that it tested poorly. Filming wrapped in Sept '17 and it was supposed to come out in April, so they must've shown it to a test audience by now. Maisie has Game of Thrones which probably starts filming again soon, Anya is just busy in general, and Charlie will have Stranger Things so they probably couldn't find time for major reshoots.

OrionFalls

Yeah, I'd bet that it tested poorly. Filming wrapped in Sept '17 and it was supposed to come out in April, so they must've shown it to a test audience by now. Maisie has Game of Thrones which probably starts filming again soon, Anya is just busy in general, and Charlie will have Stranger Things so they probably couldn't find time for major reshoots.
It's bizarre because the debut trailer got mostly positive feedback, and I myself thought it looked pretty good. For an X-Men film made by Fox, at least.

caffeware

Banned

Sorry, I have no idea how movies are made.

Since when its a common practice to reshoot movies?

Grizzlyjin

Sorry, I have no idea how movies are made.

Since when its a common practice to reshoot movies?

For larger films? Decades. They'll shoot the movie, screen it for executives and test audiences and then adjust it from there. It has actually become so commonplace that studios have begun allocating money and time in anticipation of reshoots. Like sometimes a certain character will be well received by test audiences so they'll add more scenes with that character.

Reshoots alone probably wouldn't concern me. But moving a movie that is completed to a new calendar year is almost always a bad sign. Most recently it happened with that Owen Wilson comedy Father Figures. Shot it in 2015, tested poorly, held it until early 2017, decided to do reshoots and then just dumped it in December.

luxsol

So how does this work with Disney's buy out?
If the deal is finalized and done by the end of the year, won't they just cancel the movies instead of releasing them, since they undoubtedly want to integrate just the properties with the MCU?
So the movie fox executives get their bonuses, show their worth for having highly successful movies and not crummy would be bombs like New Mutants and Gambit?

Grizzlyjin

So how does this work with Disney's buy out?
If the deal is finalized and done by the end of the year, won't they just cancel the movies instead of releasing them, since they undoubtedly want to integrate just the properties with the MCU?
So the movie fox executives get their bonuses, show their worth for having highly successful movies and not crummy would be bombs like New Mutants and Gambit?

Yep, it probably won't be done until 2019 but that would be the basic idea. Fox side you would try to get some wins because it proves you're not incompetent, but also the deal might not get approved. If the buyout gets turned down and everybody stopped working a year ago, you're without tentpole films for the next 2+ years.

Stuff that's still in early production will just get wiped off the table once Disney comes in. Gambit could squeak through if they actually film something in 2018 and hold down that 2019 release date.

Top Bottom