• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Free To Play - Acceptable Cost Of In-Game Items?

Saruhashi

Banned
So, I've been playing and enjoying Warframe quite a bit recently.
I paid for the "Starter Pack" on PS4 and on Switch.
More to support the devs than anything else as 300 platinum doesn't go so far and I used it for extra slots anyway.

What I don't understand is the cost of some of the other in-game options.
I know, I know, folks are going to say you don't need to spend real money to get the stuff but let's say I wanted to.

It's 55 Euro (approx 62 USD) to get a pack that has Frost Prime and Ember Prime, a few weapons, a few cosmetic things and 1200 platinum.
I'm not sure about anyone else but this does not seem like good value to me.

How are prices like this decided?
Do the devs know that most folks are not going to spend money but there well be a small % of players who might spend 100s of bucks?

That 55 Euro is almost the cost of an entire game but let's say they have another pack in a couple of months I don't imagine I'd buy that too otherwise it means that (including starter packs) I would have dropped almost 150 Euro on the one game.

Do people not think these things are WAY overpriced? Even in other games these kind of items seem to be priced at such a high rate.

Thing is, the game gets a lot of credit for being good, which it is, and free to play but I also look at their paid offerings and think it's a ridiculous price for what you get.
It ends up feeling like you could pay a lot more on a "free to play" experience but actually end up getting a less polished game for all your money.

What are people generally willing to pay for stuff in "free to play" games? Nothing at all?
Or is there a feeling like "I will support the devs" for a particular fee?
Surely there can't be that many of you who would spend 200 or 300 bucks on in game stuff?

Vawn

Banned
I don't care honestly, I hate the business model regardless of what is "fair".

I have absolutely no problem paying full price for a game. I would even be ok with paying over $60 for certain games that contain extra content (Red Dead 2, Witcher 3, etc). But after that initial purchase I want it to be the end of the transaction.

mcz117chief

Well, when it comes to Warframe specifically, when I used to play it, I would wait for the 75% discount, which would happen all the time, and then buy whatever pack I wanted. I remember once I even managed to combine sales and thus spent almost nothing (I think it was Christmas sale + 75% discount).

When it comes to League I weight how much I like to play the champ + how good looking is the splash/model + any new voice over + other. And if the combined appeal feels good then I buy it regardless of the price.

In Ace Combat 6 I have spent a ton on all the funny and colab DLC planes which were like 3-5 bucks a piece.

Mostly though I don't buy in-game items since they are usually super over-priced. For example "gem" packs in F2P games are ridiculously expensive even during sales for someone like me and all you usually get is a chance to roll for stuff, you usually can't even use the "gems" to buy what you want, unlike in Warframe where about 90% of my arsenal is bought with platinum.

Last edited:
If a game is F2P and not Pay to Win, and I can at least somewhat reasonably grind for anything I need to remain viable in-game, then I don't care what they charge. I like grinds if the gameplay/combat loop is fun and exciting.

Warframe is a great example of how to do it right.

Larxia

I never understood why purchasable items in F2P games were so expensive, like really expensive, sometimes up to 30 € for just an outfit or something, it's just extremely off puting and I always thought they'd sell more of these if the prices were more acceptable.

Top Bottom