• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

French top 20 physical sales numbers of 2018

woigemok

Banned
8V0Zuyt.jpg

Top 20 individual
Dz1hsHZWkAAtJTw.jpg:large

Dz1lXJpX4AE72wI.jpg:orig

2017 number
gsR8zV0.png

C3piDKYWMAEsHzV.jpg

My Prediction for 2019
Fifa 20
Pokemon Gen 8(Combined SKU)
COD MW4
Mario Maker 2
Animal Crossing
RDR2
NSMBUD
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Smash Ultimate
Ass Creed XXX
Anthem
KH3
Fifa 19
FE3H
Zelda Link Awakening
RE2R
SMP
SMO
GTAV

Last edited:

nowhat

9 of 20 games are developed and publish by Nintendo

big respect for Nintendo
That's commendable, true. But it should be also noted that these are physical sales. I base this on nothing but a gut feel, but I'm under the impression physical is still more common on Switch than with PS4/One.

Geki-D

Banned
Whilst it's great for Nintendo, it paints a gloomy picture for third parties on Switch. In the top 20 only 2 Switch games are third party. I really don't see what real incentive third parties have to actually make games for the Switch, it's yet again another Mario/Zelda box. And when all of Nintendo's studios are between games... Oh dear.

Last edited:

ROMhack

Without being rude, why do these things get mentioned here? I don't think the majority of NeoGAF users have any interest in what the wider public buy and nothing in that list is surprising.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Without being rude, why do these things get mentioned here? I don't think the majority of NeoGAF users have any interest in what the wider public buy.

Or maybe it's just me.
Because there's an unlimited number of threads that can be posted by any user over the rank of Neo and it's entirely the choice of other users as to whether or not they wish to partake in these threads or even click on them.

It's a gaming related subject, there is no valid reason as to why there shouldn't or couldn't be a thread about this.

ROMhack

Whilst it's great for Nintendo, it paints a gloomy picture for third parties on Switch. In the top 20 only 2 Switch games are third party. I really don't see what real incentive third parties have to actually make games for the Switch, it's yet again another Mario/Zelda box. And when all of Nintendo's studios are between games... Oh dear.

Third-party games usually over-achieve on the Switch. Using some completely random examples, Disgaea 5 sold the same on PS4 as it did on Switch despite coming out two years later. Civilization VI sold a very healthy amount and surprised its publisher. Sonic Mania sold more on Switch than it did on PS4. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 sold a very healthy 1.4m copies worldwide, which is some achievement as it's nowhere near as good as Xenogears :).

Last edited:

mcz117chief

How come I just can't for the love of all that is holy enjoy any of these high profile games? Out of these I got Spiderman and God of War and both are really nice looking games but after a few hours they just fizzle out and don't interest me anymore. On the other hand you got games like Valkyria Chronicles 4 and EDF 5 (my GOTY by far) which are amazing but don't sell even close to these games. What makes these games so appealing to everyone but not me? Do people buy these games, play them for an hour and stop or just collect them? Or are these games just on a different wave-length than me?

Geki-D

Banned
Disgaea 5 sold the same on PS4 as it did on Switch.
Indeed.
Civilization VI sold a very healthy amount, not much less than it did on PC and by all accounts surprised the publisher.
Far as I can see no numbers were given, Take Two just said they were happy and it exceeded expectations, we don't know what those expectations were.
Sonic Mania sold more on Switch than PS4
Sure, but you're forgetting it's Sonic Mania Plus on Switch and it's being compared to Plus on the other platforms. Loss of interest of Plus on the other platforms can be put down to the base version being on PS4 & XB1 already. Plus wasn't a sequel but just an enhanced version of what was already released.
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 sold a very healthy 1.4m copies worldwide.
A Switch exclusive published by Nintendo? Ok?

It would seem that the third party games that do do well on Switch tend to be 2D stuff and indies. Whilst some of those are great, they often don't sell all that much in the first place and definitely not enough to warrant third parties truly looking at the Switch as a viable platform for their big projects.

ROMhack

How come I just can't for the love of all that is holy enjoy any of these high profile games? Out of these I got Spiderman and God of War and both are really nice looking games but after a few hours they just fizzle out and don't interest me anymore. On the other hand you got games like Valkyria Chronicles 4 and EDF 5 (my GOTY by far) which are amazing but don't sell even close to these games. What makes these games so appealing to everyone but not me? Do people buy these games, play them for an hour and stop or just collect them? Or are these games just on a different wave-length than me?

Simple answer: the more you play games, the more your taste changes. Sure the popular ones are well-made and but they cast the net wide and try to appeal to as broad an audience as possible, which means they don't speak to you on a personal level. I hope it doesn't sound elitist because I find it's the same with everything. Somebody who reads once in a while will be satisfied by a popular, bestseller book - like those by Stephen King - but the more s/he reads the more s/he craves something different.

At least in theory.

Last edited:

ROMhack

Indeed.

Far as I can see no numbers were given, Take Two just said they were happy and it exceeded expectations, we don't know what those expectations were.

Sure, but you're forgetting it's Sonic Mania Plus on Switch and it's being compared to Plus on the other platforms. Loss of interest of Plus on the other platforms can be put down to the base version being on PS4 & XB1 already. Plus wasn't a sequel but just an enhanced version of what was already released.

A Switch exclusive published by Nintendo? Ok?

It would seem that the third party games that do do well on Switch tend to be 2D stuff and indies. Whilst some of those are great, they often don't sell all that much in the first place and definitely not enough to warrant third parties truly looking at the Switch as a viable platform for their big projects.

Ah, if that's what you mean then yep I agree. It's hard to judge as we haven't seen any big flops but I wouldn't deny they probably wouldn't do as well as on PS4 where the userbase is more receptive.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

Simply answer: the more you play games, the more your taste changes. Sure the popular ones are well-made and but they cast the net wide and try to appeal to as broad an audience as possible, which means they don't speak to you on a personal level. I hope it doesn't sound elitist because I find it's the same with everything. Somebody who reads once in a while is satisfied by popular, bestseller books like those by Stephen King but the more s/he reads the more he craves something different because s/he'll get bored of reading those same book no matter how thrilling they were first time around.

In theory.
Makes sense, thx for taking the time to answer, mate. I still like to play some Call of Duty at least, so I'm not completely off the main-stream grid.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
PS4 RD2 and FIFA sales... c'mon.

It is like 6 to 1 over the competition.

200k for GTS in 2017... I wish to know how much more it sold in 2018.

Last edited:
Top Bottom