• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frieren: Beyond Journey's End is turning into a cultural phenomenon in Japan

Ribi

Is it really that good or are you quite an emotional person? You guys have got me curious now.
It's good but I don't think the average person will have any strong emotional reactions to it. It's a slice of life with action sprinkled in. The characters are written well.

Pejo

It's good but I don't think the average person will have any strong emotional reactions to it. It's a slice of life with action sprinkled in. The characters are written well.
I think it's got a lot of its emotional hooks in feelings of regret and loss/death. People that have experienced those things will probably have more of a connection to the story. Not to say it's all about those themes, because it's actually more about learning and accepting and moving forward.

Still, I think that's probably the demographic that is experiencing the stronger reactions. It's an anime at the end of the day, but I think it does a pretty good job of what it's trying to do.

Valonquar

Frieren is basically Jobless Reincarnation, but I can actually recommend it to people since it doesn't have retarded panty worship and erectile dysfunction arcs.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Frieren is basically Jobless Reincarnation, but I can actually recommend it to people since it doesn't have retarded panty worship and erectile dysfunction arcs.

You are just jealous you don’t have any panties to worship! /s

Honestly I really wanted to like Jobless Reincarnation and for the most part I did. The School Arc really destroyed much of my good will, but then I persevered with the LN to the end and… I really hate how they ended it all.

Frieren feels like an adult Isekai. One that isn’t trying to be edgy, gory, sexy, etc. Just something that wants to tell a good Story with memorable characters.

Cyberpunkd

Didn’t watch any anime since Psycho Pass, before that Lodoss, Macross on the side. There was also a dark sci-fi noir starting with an E? Not really into it and this doesn’t look very interesting.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Didn’t watch any anime since Psycho Pass, before that Lodoss, Macross on the side. There was also a dark sci-fi noir starting with an E? Not really into it and this doesn’t look very interesting.

Its a slow series. Its more about small moments in time showcasing the importance of being human, of connecting with others.

If you want big, bombastic action or complex, multifaceted narratives - you won’t get that here.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I love how Himmel is like a 'what if Griffith was good' scenario.
That’s a good way to put it. Himmel is crushingly strong and intelligent, but all of the rest is flipped. He’s jokingly narcissistic, genuinely cares for his comrades and the townsfolk, waited patiently for his true love, didn’t seek power after attaining status and glory.

ahtlas7

Ooow! Nice. Just watched a few minutes on Crunchyroll. It’s now next in queue, after finishing the last 2 episodes of Family X Spy. Thanks for posting!

Frieren was peak, the likes of which I haven't seen in anime in a long time.

Well, maybe not since Summertime Rendering, at the most recent, though they're kind of great for different reasons (SR is more about psychological horror and time travel, sort of like Steins;Gate).

MahoAko was also peak

Last edited:

Porcile

Voice acting in Japanese is a bit annoying but it has lovely art direction and the animation is decent too. Very watchable overall.

Yeah I watched the first episode and was totally bored and had no desire to continue.
There's a reason that when it first released, they put out the first four episodes at once.

Ignore the 3-episode rule and watch the first 4 for this before judging.

I mean, 4 episodes out of 28 can't be that much a waste of time.

Frieren made my top 10

Screenshot-2024-04-04-053301.png

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Aside from Attack on Titan which I loved, I haven't really watched new anime for about 10 years now. I've probably missed a handful of good shows I'm sure.

Another exception is Thunderbolt Fantasy, which isn't really anime, but is spearheaded by Gen Urobuchi who has an excellent track record in anime.

I'm sure aesthetically it won't be most peoples cup of tea (given its puppets), but I think its excellent and that everyone should give a few episodes a go. It only gets better too.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

I guess I'm kind of emotional?

I think for the themes this show explores in particular, this will hit harder the older you are. When I was a young lad, I didn't think too much about death, loss, and regret. I didn't realize that the people who were important to me wouldn't always be around. Now that I've lost friends and family along the way, the themes this show explores really hit me like a ton of bricks.
I watched it for a second time last week and I teared up during the first episode too.

If you're on the fence watch it. Try 2 episodes and you'll probably like it

Lunarorbit

Voice acting in Japanese is a bit annoying but it has lovely art direction and the animation is decent too. Very watchable overall.
Try it in English. Frierens voice actress does an excellent job sounding tired, in more ways than one. Really adds to the show

Porcile

Try it in English. Frierens voice actress does an excellent job sounding tired, in more ways than one. Really adds to the show

It's the Japanese voice actress of Fern who does that annoying anime half-whisper young girl thing that bugs me the most. The others are fine I guess.

HoodWinked

remember seeing this thread weeks ago and it got buried back to the back of my mind, then was suggested this video below and realized... "i think this was that anime they were talking about on neogaf" and it was. lol.

Top Bottom