• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FromSoftware's Enchanted Arms recently delisted on Xbox Store

nush

I just checked. I got 1000/1000 too. Man, back in the day I cared too much about achievements. I would sit through shit games like this for the points.

It was an easy 1000 and I had nothing else much to play on my 360. But the real achievement is enduring that very camp character through to the end of the game.

DeVeAn

I had been looking at getting this, had it on my wishlist but, was waiting it to drop in price a bit. No warning is what really sucks. I wanted it for science lol.

Griffon

I have it on disc, do whatever you like you digital heathens

Sos8eA3.gif

Laught while you can, your disc will rot soon enough. It's inevitable.

Last edited:

Killer8

This game hasn't been available for purchase for well over a decade, what are you talking about?

When a game can't be sold anymore due to licensing issues, that goes for both physical and digital.

The used market still exists (eg. Ebay) even if a physical copy has long since left stores - which literally can't happen when a digital only game is delisted, because there are no 'used' digital games. Once it's gone, it's gone forever.

Last edited:

Rykan

The used market still exists (eg. Ebay) even if a physical copy has long since left stores - which literally can't happen when a digital only game is delisted, because there are no 'used' digital games. Once it's gone, it's gone forever.
The fact that you're dependent on a limited amount of copies from people willing to sell isn't a very compelling argument. Digitalization of games have made them far more accessible than reselling on ebay ever has.

Killer8

The fact that you're dependent on a limited amount of copies from people willing to sell isn't a very compelling argument. Digitalization of games have made them far more accessible than reselling on ebay ever has.

A compelling argument for what? People having to resort to buying used, at no doubt inflated Ebay prices due to the limited availability, isn't going to be the optimal way to buy the games. But the point is that by necessity it becomes the only way once new copies have left stores and digital sales cease.

If a game didn't have a physical release at all ie. is digital only, then once that digital copy disappears there is no longer any avenue to purchase it, used or otherwise. I don't know what's so difficult to understand here. You also seem to think that the digitization of games and the physical market continuing to exist are mutually exclusive. No one is arguing against the general convenience and accessibility of digital, but when a game is removed from a digital storefront completely then that does call into question the 'accessibility' aspect. That's the concern.

I don't know if you missed that companies routinely try to pull the plug on this accessibility.

Rykan

A compelling argument for what? People having to resort to buying used, at no doubt inflated Ebay prices due to the limited availability, isn't going to be the optimal way to buy the games. But the point is that by necessity it becomes the only way once new copies have left stores and digital sales cease.

If a game didn't have a physical release at all ie. is digital only, then once that digital copy disappears there is no longer any avenue to purchase it, used or otherwise. I don't know what's so difficult to understand here. You also seem to think that the digitization of games and the physical market continuing to exist are mutually exclusive. No one is arguing against the general convenience and accessibility of digital, but when a game is removed from a digital storefront completely then that does call into question the 'accessibility' aspect. That's the concern.

I don't know if you missed that companies routinely try to pull the plug on this accessibility.
The point is that this isn't something that affects a lot of people.

The amount of people that actively purchase and play used old video games is incredibly small, and the supply will always be limited by the amount of people willing to sell their old games. Once that supply is gone, it's gone. Or unaffordable. It is a delay at best.

This isn't intended to belittle the group of people that do so or to imply that this doesn't straight up sucks for the people that do buy and play older, used video games. But when you say something along the lines of "Everyone's really going to notice once we move to fully digital, when this happens more often" that's just not really accurate.

Killer8

The point is that this isn't something that affects a lot of people.

The amount of people that actively purchase and play used old video games is incredibly small, and the supply will always be limited by the amount of people willing to sell their old games. Once that supply is gone, it's gone. Or unaffordable. It is a delay at best.

This isn't intended to belittle the group of people that do so or to imply that this doesn't straight up sucks for the people that do buy and play older, used video games. But when you say something along the lines of "Everyone's really going to notice once we move to fully digital, when this happens more often" that's just not really accurate.

People started to sit up and seriously take notice when Sony tried to close the legacy PS3 and Vita stores in 2021. It was only due to the immense backlash that Sony reversed their decision. I take that as a signal that people do indeed care about still being able to purchase old software. Now, you might say that this was a loud minority of retro enthusiasts, but other consumers are also connecting the dots: if Sony tried to do this on PS3, what's to become of the PS4 games in ten years? PS5 in twenty?

Over the course of time the volume of media which becomes lost will only increase, and this will be noticed by more people until it just becomes a normal expectation for digital distribution. Right now if digital content is removed there is the crutch of used physical media, which yes is a small market, but it goes some way for people to mentally cope - someone might not particularly care about an old game disappearing from a digital storefront, because in their mind they think "oh well, I can just get it for $10 on Ebay if I still want it". But we're increasingly entering uncharted, digital-only waters where we will no longer have this crutch, and once a game - or even a whole system - is gone, it's gone. How will people cope then with that new reality?

You could say that the demise of physical is inevitable but it doesn't do anything to alleviate the anxiety that comes with putting all of our eggs into the digital basket. And in some ways the problems are ironic considering digital should theoretically be the perfect outlet with absolute accessibility, zero supply issues and no physical wear and tear - and yet here we are pondering if we'll even be able to enjoy it as time goes by.

SenkiDala

I just checked. I got 1000/1000 too. Man, back in the day I cared too much about achievements. I would sit through shit games like this for the points.
I was like this from 2005 to 2009, I knew the game was shit I knew I didn't like it. I could just finish it at most, but nah, I had to spend 8 hours per day playing it for... Nothing but disappointment. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Quasicat

I have had discs for 30 years still waiting for even a single one to have the infamous rot. How far away is soon enough ?
Never had an issue with games, but I had a couple of laserdiscs that were manufactured incorrectly and had disc rot after a couple of years...all from Paramount.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I was like this from 2005 to 2009, I knew the game was shit I knew I didn't like it. I could just finish it at most, but nah, I had to spend 8 hours per day playing it for... Nothing but disappointment. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
And you know what’s crazy, we needed those points. Now, they’re pointless.

This is the kind of Japanese weirdness I love, hopefully disc copies aren't too expensive.

While it's not the most impressive 7th gen game obviously, it's still weird to think this came out the same month as Rule of Rose in Japan.

But holy cow do I remember the loading times and the blue veins on the queens boobs.
I remember the blue veins on Dixie's boobs in Rumble Roses XX, I guess that was just a thing devs did at the time?

Pantz

That's too bad, I would have picked it up if I knew. Had fun with it back on the 360 but already100% it.
Would have been nice to see it on a better TV than back then.

Whatever happened to the ridiculous side of FROM? The FROM that gave us stuff like this and Metal Wolf Chaos?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Soulsborne fan, but it's kind of lame that's the only type of game they put out now, even the new Armored Core will probably be "Dark Souls with mechs".

Last edited:

cireza

I have a Wii U and it worked just fine even though I hadn’t used it in years.
That's great. Unlike the other guy who hopes our childhood library of games will rot, I hope that you will be able to enjoy your Wii U for a very long time.

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
That's great. Unlike the other guy who hopes our childhood library of games will rot, I hope that you will be able to enjoy your Wii U for a very long time.
Thank you! I’m sure it will, because deterioration is based on whether you take care of your stuff, as you were very considerate to let me know awhile ago. It’s a shame your friend’s Wii U stopped working, I wonder if you extended them the same courtesy you gave me.

cireza

Thank you! I’m sure it will, because deterioration is based on whether you take care of your stuff, as you were very considerate to let me know awhile ago. It’s a shame your friend’s Wii U stopped working, I wonder if you extended them the same courtesy you gave me.
Did I upset you in the past ?

Taking care of your stuff definitely helps, and I also think that using regularly your devices helps keeping them in condition.

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
I've had disc rot on a few cheap CD-Rs, and even on some Kodak CDRs. But man, I think I haven't held a CDR in my hand for fifteen years.

supernova8

Banned
I remember playing this back when I was in university, bought it used a few years after launch dirt cheap.

Funny thing was that one of my housemates would always walk in on me playing it in the lounge and be like "that game is so fucking gay, what are you doing", and then it turned out about 6 months later that he was actually gay (he came out to us around that time).

Nothing wrong with that of course, just funny looking back on how much he was overcompensating at the time (when he could've just said he was gay, nobody cared and we all lived as usual after he came out).

In terms of the game itself, I never finished it or came anywhere near but I kinda enjoyed it. It felt like a dumb take on Pokemon and while the voice acting was terrible, it was so terrible that it made the experience more enjoyable because at least I had something to chuckle at.

Last edited:
Top Bottom