• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRONTLINE: 'Exodus' premieres 12/27/16 @ 9pm EST on PBS. Anyone watching?

Status
Not open for further replies.
wOO8UJQ.jpg

Official 'Exodus' Site <= Watch online for free here.

Youtube Links:
Trailer
Clip 01
Clip 02

Apologies for the lateness of this thread, I forgot this was airing tonight and when I got back from the store saw that it was on. 'Exodus' is a two-hour documentary told from the first-person perspective of refugees from around the globe, as they describe their experiences and record their attempts to escape their homelands in search of safety in Europe. Refugees from Syria, Gambia, and Afghanistan all speak directly to the viewer through the camera, telling their stories in their own words.

The refugee and migrant crisis that gripped Europe starting in 2015 had not yet reached its peak when director James Bluemel got the idea to make a film about the journey.

Over the last two years, more than 1.3 million people have arrived in Europe after crossing the Mediterranean. Nearly 9,000 have died or gone missing along the way.

&#8220;We were watching the news, and looking at hundreds of Africans dying in the Mediterranean,&#8221; Bluemel remembered. Around the same time, a friend of his had returned from a trip photographing a migrant camp in Morocco. He returned with footage shot by several migrants of their attempts to cross the sea from Morocco to Spain.

&#8220;It was this really incredible footage, really visceral, unique access &#8212; because it&#8217;s taken by them,&#8221; Bluemel said. &#8220;We just thought, Christ, if this stuff is being filmed, that could be a really interesting way of telling the story.&#8221;

Bluemel and his team began filming just as the Syrian conflict was starting to spill out of the Middle East, with Syrian asylum seekers setting off for Europe in search of safety and a better life. &#8220;We were up and running, so we could react to that.&#8221;

In his new FRONTLINE documentary Exodus, Bluemel combines his footage with video filmed by refugees and migrants themselves. Viewers meet Hassan, an English teacher from Damascus, Syria; Isra&#8217;a, a young Syrian girl from Aleppo; Ahmad, who worries about his wife and daughter who stayed behind in Syria; Alaigie, a Gambian man who dreams of lifting his family out of poverty; and Sadiq, who fled Afghanistan to escape the Taliban.
More

Biske

God damn.

Amazing episode.

Fucking devastating.

Makes me so ashamed at how little America has done.

Just finished watching it online, having missed the first 40 minutes or so on air. Heart-wrenching and uplifting all at once. Got choked up once or twice seeing their raw emotions on display, seeing their elation and their fear of the consequences of failure. It's one thing to watch the news and see the refugee crisis unfold from that broad, generalized view offered in a two-minute (if that) attempt at TV journalism, and another thing entirely to watch this and have a person going through this become real to you; to see Isra'a consoled by her father for deaths remembered, to hear Ahmad's joy at hearing his wife's voice turn to fear for her safety, to see Sadiq's beaming optimism that Finland will be a paradise compared to the hell of Afghanistan.

If you can, please watch this.

Mii

Banned
Thanks OP, definitely watching tomorrow. I should also make a contribution to my local PBS station (i miss WGBH, Thirteen just can't compare)

Not available in my region: Canada :(
Was looking for more information on this film online morning, and apparently a version of it aired on BBCTwo this summer? There it was a three-part series rather than a two-hour film, titled 'Exodus: Our Journey to Europe'. Maybe you'll have access to that version instead? There's also proxy ways to get around the PBS blocking for non- US viewers.

Also, it looks like the BBC commissioned an update to document what's happened to these refugees in 2016 with the increasingly hostile climate towards immigrants in the UK and Europe. I'd really be interested in seeing that.

BBboy20

Just finished watching it online, having missed the first 40 minutes or so on air. Heart-wrenching and uplifting all at once. Got choked up once or twice seeing their raw emotions on display, seeing their elation and their fear of the consequences of failure. It's one thing to watch the news and see the refugee crisis unfold from that broad, generalized view offered in a two-minute (if that) attempt at TV journalism, and another thing entirely to watch this and have a person going through this become real to you; to see Isra'a consoled by her father for deaths remembered, to hear Ahmad's joy at hearing his wife's voice turn to fear for her safety, to see Sadiq's beaming optimism that Finland will be a paradise compared to the hell of Afghanistan.

If you can, please watch this.
I wish I can feel anything right now.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Man, that was something. I was thinking about it all last night and just how completely easy my life is in comparison. What these people are going through is just harrowing.

I agree, that everyone should watch this to get an inside look into the refugee surge.

DVR'd it last night, still need to watch. The piece Frontline did about that Syrian family that sought refuge in Germany was really sad as well. I expect the same here.

Man, that was something. I was thinking about it all last night and just how completely easy my life is in comparison. What these people are going through is just harrowing.

I agree, that everyone should watch this to get an inside look into the refugee surge.
I stayed up thinking about it too. Like who the heck sells fake life jackets to refugees trying to cross the sea? Jackets that make them sink instead of float? Are they intentionally nefarious, or just poorly made? And how desperate is the situation in Gambia that he optimal path to Europe takes a person to Libya?

And have I ever wanted something that badly in life? To risk drowning in the middle of the sea, to stand perfectly still in a shipping container for three days?

And how amazing are cellphones?

Man I can't express what I feel right now after having watched this. I've followed the SCW very closely, this documentry injects another layer to the whole story.

Lights speed to all who are forced to take the journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom