• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fry’s Electronics is Over

ManaByte

All of the stores except for the Las Vegas one have been empty for over a year, but it’s apparently official tonight.

HjpVR8k.jpg

Last edited:

dottme

There website is still running. I’ve been to Frys a few time but not recently.
edit: on Twitter, some say they see the website down already.

Last edited:

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
I remember I went to Fry's to pick up all my parts for my first PC that I built. Well, RIP.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Going there in the 90s was hype a fuck. All sorts of crazy there. For a tech-minded kid and his dad, it was like being in a candy store.

Going there in the last 10 years has been depressing. The store hasn't been good for some time. I hear the last two years have been more so.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
That sucks. I'm just glad that at least Micro Center appears to be doing well..

Last edited:

ManaByte

After nearly 36 years in business as the one-stop-shop and online resource for high-tech professionals across nine states and 31 stores, Fry’s Electronics, Inc. (“Fry’s” or “Company”), has made the difficult decision to shut down its operations and close its business permanently as a result of changes in the retail industry and the challenges posed by the Covid-19 pandemic. The Company will implement the shut down through an orderly wind down process that it believes will be in the best interests of the Company, its creditors, and other stakeholders.

The Company ceased regular operations and began the wind-down process on February 24, 2021. It is hoped that undertaking the wind-down through this orderly process will reduce costs, avoid additional liabilities, minimize the impact on our customers, vendors, landlords and associates, and maximize the value of the Company’s assets for its creditors and other stakeholders.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
No body beats the Wiz. Except the wiz

anytime I visited my family in the USA.
It was Sam goody , RadioShack and the wiz.

miss those guys.
Also last time I went over saw sears went under

Last edited:

TheMan

Fry's was this mystical thing that I never got to experience myself because I didn't live near a store. How different are they than microcenter?

Sucks for themed spaces, but it was inevitable. They've been in trouble for years, ever since the perfume and As Seen On TV aisles appeared. Since 2019 or maybe 2018, there'd be more employees in the stores than customers.

Ever since Micro Center in Santa Clara closed in 2012 and became a Walmart grocery store, next best options in the Bay Area for PC parts were either Fry's or Central Computer(which is still around).

Fun story, I remember buying a "new" first gen Galaxy S phone from the Fry's in Sunnyvale. Multiple sales people tried to get in on the commission, but I didn't care, I just wanted the phone. The more I thought about it, I checked out the phone in the parking lot and turned it on. There were already someone's "test" pics on the phone. They just taped the packaging back up. I returned it and bought the phone online.

The sales people were pushy as fuck, even if just browsing games or movie sections, they'd try to take what you were holding on to, so they could print out a commission/sales slip or whatever for the cashier to scan when you go to check out.

ManaByte

Fun story, I remember buying a "new" first gen Galaxy S phone from the Fry's in Sunnyvale. Multiple sales people tried to get in on the commission, but I didn't care, I just wanted the phone. The more I thought about it, I checked out the phone in the parking lot and turned it on. There were already someone's "test" pics on the phone. They just taped the packaging back up. I returned it and bought the phone online.

Yup that's Fry's.

MrMephistoX

Sucks for themed spaces, but it was inevitable. They've been in trouble for years, ever since the perfume and As Seen On TV aisles appeared. Since 2019 or maybe 2018, there'd be more employees in the stores than customers.

Ever since Micro Center in Santa Clara closed in 2012 and became a Walmart grocery store, next best options in the Bay Area for PC parts were either Fry's or Central Computer(which is still around).

The sales people were pushy as fuck, even if just browsing games or movie sections, they'd try to take what you were holding on to, so they could print out a commission/sales slip or whatever for the cashier to scan when you go to check out.
Fun memory I remember in high school I would pretend to not speak English to avoid the sales people with my very basic Spanish. No Engleth.

Top Bottom