• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FTC: U.S. antitrust enforcer says pressing on with fight against Microsoft/Activision deal

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
What is the chance the FTC will win the admin trial?

key-and-peele-lol.gif

dotnotbot

It seems that before this deal happened a certain Japanese company could buy their way to do anything in America. Now there are still some American companies left that this Japanese company can bribe and manipulate, but it's one less. The potential damage they can do has thus been reduced.

PaintTinJr

I'm not picking on you due to this individual argument. It's your body of work. At this point the "anti-MS" prophetic takes are derivative and consistently shown to be off the mark. It lends no credibility to your arguments when they all boil down to "MS bad and will have their comeuppance anyday now". It actually hurts your arguments and your own credibility.

On the positive side, your assertions/speculation is usually well written, and even if I don't buy then, you can tell your spend a good amount of energy thinking about them.
What a weird response. I'm happy for you to project, but the system being broken is the problem, and would still be the problem whether it is Sony doing something anti-competitive or anyone else.

Microsoft, et al only do what they do because they've been allowed to, from largely weak enforcement power in the US for the last few decades, and now with equally sized state funded companies rising in other parts of the world the political appetite to correct in the US isn't very strong, but something as routine as needing more than adequate suspicion to get an injunction could have a huge ripple effect and IMO, if this goes all the way to the supreme court, it will be corrected. Semantically a criminal lawyer could argue a search warrant or other tool to stop law infringement shouldn't be granted, or revoked based on a failure of prosecutors to make their full case against an accused prior to a warrant being granted. Which is totally absurd, wouldn't you agree?

Solidus_T

It seems that before this deal happened a certain Japanese company could buy their way to do anything in America. Now there are still some American companies left that this Japanese company can bribe and manipulate, but it's one less. The potential damage they can do has thus been reduced.
People really just say anything on the internet.

MarkMe2525

What a weird response. I'm happy for you to project, but the system being broken is the problem, and would still be the problem whether it is Sony doing something anti-competitive or anyone else.

Microsoft, et al only do what they do because they've been allowed to, from largely weak enforcement power in the US for the last few decades, and now with equally sized state funded companies rising in other parts of the world the political appetite to correct in the US isn't very strong, but something as routine as needing more than adequate suspicion to get an injunction could have a huge ripple effect and IMO, if this goes all the way to the supreme court, it will be corrected. Semantically a criminal lawyer could argue a search warrant or other tool to stop law infringement shouldn't be granted, or revoked based on a failure of prosecutors to make their full case against an accused prior to a warrant being granted. Which is totally absurd, wouldn't you agree?
I have no intention to engage with you on this. I was simply providing my reasoning for my comment earlier, which was your perceived lack of objectivity leads to people not taking you seriously.

Last edited:
What? Making an argument in good faith while accepting that the system of the world is completely broken? Yep, guilty as charged.

In the UK, and probably the EU, Australia, New Zealand, to name just 30 or more countries. That injunction would have been granted in a heartbeat to their country's regulator.

Only in the US (out of that group) does it seem you have all the trappings of a normal functioning democracy, but just the implementation is random at state level to like something other than democracy.

Within the EU, at a local EU27 level there will be nation states, like your state of California that have complete randomness, but that rarely survives the EU court of appeal, or a follow from the first test, unlike the random things that get past the lower courts in US states and sometimes the Supreme Court.

I think about Oracle vs Google over Java's use, that was sold and marketed as "write once, run anywhere" being one that should have never needed multiple cases at local level and a Supreme court ruling to concluded the obvious, and even then 2 of 6 supreme court judges couldn't get the obvious correct.
I agree with your assessment, mate, but the conclusion I draw is that the united states is basically becoming more of a banana republic every year, has been doing so for a while, and will continue to do so. What's done is done and there's more to come.

devilNprada

I'm not picking on you due to this individual argument. It's your body of work. At this point the "anti-MS" prophetic takes are derivative and consistently shown to be off the mark. It lends no credibility to your arguments when they all boil down to "MS bad and will have their comeuppance anyday now". It actually hurts your arguments and your own credibility.

On the positive side, your assertions/speculation is usually well written, and even if I don't buy then, you can tell your spend a good amount of energy thinking about them.
What's wrong with being Anti-MS? The corporate conformity on this forum is disgusting! We get more rebellion out of our Chinese youth counterparts, what happened to us?

Maybe I am just old school, but corporations have corrupted everything that is good!

z0iKepf.jpg

PaintTinJr

I agree with your assessment, mate, but the conclusion I draw is that the united states is basically becoming more of a banana republic every year, has been doing so for a while, and will continue to do so. What's done is done and there's more to come.
My subtle different take, is that states are being allowed to regress into mini banana republics on an ad hoc basis, allowing things to happen in a meantime, until a Supreme Court ruling fixes the shenanigans 2-5years later, by which point the world has then moved on, and despite the right conclusion prevailing, the 2-5years of delay is essentially apathy to the action, which then wrongly succeeded in that meantime against the final conclusion of the law, without any consequences to those that were on the wrong side of the law.

In the Oracle vs Google trial, Oracle's effective desire to buy sun and shakedown anyone using an unlicensed fork of java should have brought them to bankruptcy or at least had them forced to divest Java IMO, to discourage such ideas again in the future by others, but instead Oracle took their shot, failed and walked away largely unscathed. And in the event this merger is found to be illegal and the FTC are correct in 5years time, CoD will either be irrelevant, PlayStation dead or Microsoft and Xbox will have pivoted again, and nothing will be corrected and no consequences will be felt. Keeping the law in a correct state, but the actions that happened being left out of sync with the law.

MarkMe2525

What's wrong with being Anti-MS? The corporate conformity on this forum is disgusting! We get more rebellion out of our Chinese youth counterparts, what happened to us?

Maybe I am just old school, but corporations have corrupted everything that is good!

z0iKepf.jpg
Nothing wrong with flying your flag, just don't expect people to lend you any credibility. Especially don't pretend your analysis is coming from a place of good faith.

simpatico

The real question is, how are these people spending 40hrs a week when MS isn't buying studios? With all the consolidation in the past decade, I didn't even think they existed anymore.

Top Bottom