• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fuck you Blizzard, Someone already made Starcraft 2

Ferrio

Banned
Azih said:
Two questions that I had after playing two games.

1) Can you see other people's mine fields? How do you handle them?

2) How do you handle infiltrating units?

Someone told me commanders and other infiltration units can. Not sure how true that is.

Gattsu25

Banned
It says that certain units can

Loving the game so far, though I will admit that even joining a game is much harder than I'm used to with B.net

what is Warhammer anyway? graphic novels?

Ferrio

Banned
Gattsu25 said:
It says that certain units can

Loving the game so far, though I will admit that even joining a game is much harder than I'm used to with B.net

what is Warhammer anyway? graphic novels?

A table top minature strategy game.

The whole thing about being able to customize your individual units colors is a throwback to people painting their minatures.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Milkman said:
I tell you one thing, they didnt start the PR train on this game early enough. They brought it by to show us like this week, and next month it's review time. I wanted to pimp this shit. I'm looking forward to it like a motherfucker.
I'm just forwarding this to the PR department at THQ....we'll probably put it in the print ads. :D

Answers to a few questions I saw here...

- Commander units (force commander, farseer, etc) can detect mines, regular units can't. So if you see your grots getting launched into the stratosphere...that's probably it.

- Most powerful race? They're all great if you know how to play to their strengths. If you're into micromanaging, pick the Eldar - they're weak if you try to go toe to toe with the other races, but their ability to teleport their buildings around (along with a few other special goodies) make them a formidable force in the right hands. Definitely not for beginners. Space and Chaos Marines are your more traditional army race, most RTS players, n00b or otherwise, will want to start off with those two. Orks are completely different, and probably the race I'm most proud of since we were able to really make them tech up differently than all of the other races, while staying true to the WH mythology in regards to Orks. The more Orks you raise, the more stuff you can get, gaining strength in numbers. Of course, if you should happen to lose a bunch in a fight, you'll get smacked down the tree again, so constantly reinforcing your Orks to overpowering numbers is key to success. When you're playing against a good Ork player, watching a green sea of Shoota Boyz pouring over the hills like ants will make you shit your pants, to put it delicately. :D

- Fjord, the only guys out there who are "too good" as you put it, are my balance team...but you'll do fine if you employ the correct counters...don't turtle...and find a race that works for you then work on different strategies and build orders....

And for you guys who are having difficulty with the beta running on your hamster-wheel systems, we're still optimizing so have faith. :)

OK, enough self-pimpage.

Ferrio

Banned
Bishop I found some weird bug for awhile, then it fixed itself. It seemed when I tried to select a unit that's under the transparent unit hints window it would not select.

ANYWAYS, here's some photos a multiplayer game.... and one of my favorite animations.

warhammer.jpg

warhammer2.jpg

warhammer3.jpg

warhammer3a.jpg

warhammer4.jpg

warhammer5.jpg

Slo

I HATE the tutorial, but it's fun if you ignore the instructions and just play it like it's a skirmish mode.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
This looks so awesome. I can totally see my 10 year old brother kicking major arse on this game multiplayer, he is a GOD at StarCraft - don't let the age fool you. Imagine being drilled by your brother who is 11 years your junior? I think I'll cry.

I've trained him well to become a dedicated gamer!

Mareg

speedpop said:
This looks so awesome. I can totally see my 10 year old brother kicking major arse on this game multiplayer, he is a GOD at StarCraft - don't let the age fool you. Imagine being drilled by your brother who is 11 years your junior? I think I'll cry.

I've trained him well to become a dedicated gamer!

You bad influencing no remorse brother. WTF, you didn't let him any chance. Now he will become an avid gammer for the rest of is "life".
Jocking there. Kudo for the training. I plan to grow my own children in some of the best gammer this earth as graced. Continue the good work !

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Azih said:
I gotta tell you bish, the beta tutorial sucks like crazy.
WE KNOW. It's been tweaked to hell and back since then, trust me. :(

Um, when the full version ships, look for an extra-special GAF-centric twist that makes the tutorial for all four races extra spicy. And delicious.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
http://www.gaming-age.com/cgi-bin/specials/special.pl?spec=warhammer_interview&pagenum=1

GA did a special on it check it out.... *cough*

When is the beta period over? I'm still having issues with Gamespy not letting me log the fuck in as of this morning (Even after the patch). :( I'm gonna uninstall the beta I have and download this one, hopefully it'll let me in. I owe Slo a game, and hopefully with the help of Warcock I can try and break the game. I wanted to play with Evilore a few weeks back... but again... the Gamespy issue.

Gamespot says 9/22, I will definitely buy a copy. I am glad everyone seems to dig it, this is likely going to be the RTS of the year.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Downloaded it yesturday, im getting TA vibes that are very pleasurable to me...

I couldnt get the Eldar building teleport to work though, the placeholder went green but clicking didnt do anything, it became a bit of an issue as i accidently blocked off some vehicles.

Also is there a way to rotate buildings before you place them?

Ferrio

Banned
Ghost said:
Downloaded it yesturday, im getting TA vibes that are very pleasurable to me...

I couldnt get the Eldar building teleport to work though, the placeholder went green but clicking didnt do anything, it became a bit of an issue as i accidently blocked off some vehicles.

Also is there a way to rotate buildings before you place them?

To teleport you can only teleport once you have it research, and you have to teleport to an area around a webgate. Then it'll take a bit for your builds to slowly fade away and fade back in.

Fjord

Just had some absolutely awesome games with two friends where we snatched victory from the jaws of defeat at the last second. The battle for the middle critical point wasn't going well, my weapons platforms slowly arrived strung out and weren't able to turn the tide. With about 40 seconds left till they won a control point victory. I build a spider squad, snuck them into my webgate, popped them out at another webgate then teleported in behind all our opponents. They realized what I was doing a little to late and seconds before their tanks were up the steps I had recaptured the control point and teleported away, with 9 seconds to spare. After this their armies seemed to collapse and I teleported half a dozen turrets up to the control hill and we mopped up an amazing battle (6 people throwing everything they had into it, super units and commanders everywhere), the marine opponent seemed to lose some steam left us fighting orc and eldar infantry, my seer council lead by my farseer began casting eldritch storm (think psychich atomic bomb) scattering their squads and causing major morale loss. This victory was especially sweet after all the trash talking that had gone on o_O

The next game on the same 6 player map we had our starting locations a bit messed up (bishop how about being able to move the players in the game setup screen, or let them move themselves). Anyway I was stuck alone with two of the enemies, after fending off their quick rush I quickly teched up. They left me for dead and launched a massive assault on my teammates on the other side. I quickly assembled an anti building taskforce of fire prism hovertanks and weapons platforms and lanced through their unprotected bases completely decimating their infrastructure then proceeded to head across the map to flank and turn the tables on the remainder of their forces.

eh?

how come when I try to join a game most of the pings are pretty high, like in the 100s and up?

and then there are alot of times where I just cant join a game...

perhaps theres a port I need to open up on my router?

Ferrio

Banned
Fixed2BeBroken said:
eh?

how come when I try to join a game most of the pings are pretty high, like in the 100s and up?

and then there are alot of times where I just cant join a game...

perhaps theres a port I need to open up on my router?

No that's just gamespy.

Hooker

OMG, I retract all previous made comments about the game. It fucking rocks!!!

My uncle came by and showed me his Space Marines (me = Chaos!!) We played a battle of Warcraft3 online and I beat his ass bad, so he wanted some payback in DoW, knowing I didn't like it as much and he would be able to beat me.

We started playing, and kept on playing, and playing, and playing etc. This was fucking WW3, 4 and 5 in one matchup. Then, I figured out to summon that super uber-trooper to the battlefield (looked like Diablo) and totally thrashed his base giving me the victory. This was like 15 minutes ago and I'm still giddy about it :D This game rocks!!

Goes to show what a stupid fucking annoying tutorial that is. The tutorial made me hate the game, playing online made me love it. If Half-Life2 wasn't coming out next month, this would be the game I'd buy. (I can only buy 2 games a year, financial stuff :()

Top Bottom