• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fun speculation re NVIDIA 3000 series

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Im kinda bored with this WFH shit.

Dreaming about my next PC build. Doom eternal is running on high for me at about 90 fps @ 1440p with my GTX 1080 which is lame I want to push 144/165hz.

I dont follow the technical announcements just that the NVIDIA cards seem delayed due to the coronavirus/AMD's offerings.

What does everyone think they will bring in terms of specs, what abotu prices? Any chance we could see sub 1K prices for a TI model?

Also old news but some background - https://wccftech.com/nvidias-ampere...2020-and-its-not-just-because-of-coronavirus/

EDIT - This is no slight to AMD, I know their GPUs are catching up quickly and I welcome that. Also post your "GPU upgrade history for fun".

Mine is GTX 680 (my first PC build in like 15+ years and how I found NEOGAF) -> GTX 970 -> GTX 1080

Last edited:

Skyr

Currently on a 1080ti and what I want from the 3080ti is at least a 2x or better 2.5x in power. With the 2080ti being 40% faster than a 1080ti and assuming the jump will be the same to a 3080ti, you land roughly at a 2x. Still hope the jump will be more substantial with ampere.

As for the price.. 1000 bucks is kind of pain barrier for me for a gpu. I hope big Navi will put enough pressure on Nvidia to get to that level. A proper custom 2080ti goes for about 1300$ (including tax) here and that’s not acceptable to me. I would be out with that.

ZywyPL

Banned
Some rumors say about 7-8k CUDA cores thanks to 7nm with 16/32GB RAM, but they are suggesting the specs are related to Quadro/Tesla GPUs, and actually I saw a rumor recently suggesting "just" 4992 cores and 12GB RAM for Ampere, so not much of a jump from 2080Ti. But who knows, maybe the 2080Ti-equivalent will now be a 3070, or even 3060-level GPU, whereas the higher models will actually pack that much cores?

As for the price, 1200$ for the most powerful cards is the bare minimum I expect, I won't be shocked if NV announces even 1500$.

And I expect the biggest feature of Ampere GPUs will be actually on the software side, DLSS 3.0 to be precise, which unlike current instances will be possible to turn on from the driver level just like for example FXAA, so it will be available all the time, and will allow even low-end GPUs to run complex details/RT at 1080p.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

I'm also waiting for Ampere and Big Navi which should be a fun end of the year. I can't envision nVidia getting all consumer friendly again since people bit at grabbing TI's for absurd money. AMD will be our only hope in the price being reasonable if their RDNA2 is about that life. I think the 3000 series card will ofter a 20-30% performance increase over the Turing series. I can't envision them also making their cards 50% higher, but I'm hoping for the best. Just hoping both sides bring the heat and decent prices for us poor folk (Like myself) trying to imitate the Master Race.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Currently on a 1080ti and what I want from the 3080ti is at least a 2x or better 2.5x in power. With the 2080ti being 40% faster than a 1080ti and assuming the jump will be the same to a 3080ti, you land roughly at a 2x. Still hope the jump will be more substantial with ampere.

As for the price.. 1000 bucks is kind of pain barrier for me for a gpu. I hope big Navi will put enough pressure on Nvidia to get to that level. A proper custom 2080ti goes for about 1300$ (including tax) here and that’s not acceptable to me. I would be out with that.

Ya I agree on all counts. I got my 1080 about a year after they were released (maybe a bit less) for a good deal. I am ready to go all in on a new 80 series or a 80 ti depending on teh price, but 1k is kind of my limit. Im not made of money.

Skyr

Some rumors say about 7-8k CUDA cores thanks to 7nm with 16/32GB RAM, but they are suggesting the specs are related to Quadro/Tesla GPUs, and actually I saw a rumor recently suggesting "just" 4992 cores and 12GB RAM for Ampere, so not much of a jump from 2080Ti. But who knows, maybe the 2080Ti-equivalent will now be a 3070, or even 3060-level GPU, whereas the higher models will actually pack that much cores?

As for the price, 1200$ for the most powerful cards is the bare minimum I expect, I won't be shocked if NV announces even 1500$.

And I expect the biggest feature of Ampere GPUs will be actually on the software side, DLSS 3.0 to be precise, which unlike current instances will be possible to turn on from the driver level just like for example FXAA, so it will be available all the time, and will allow even low-end GPUs to run complex details/RT at 1080p.

DLSS is idd one of the most exciting features I have seen in a long time. The results they have been able to achieve with 2.0 are marvelous.
The utilization of A.I. has the potential to bring a jump in graphical fidelity nobody really expected.

From what I understand the next gen consoles have theoretically the same capabilities of utilizing DLSS as Nvidia with the tensor cores?

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
I skipped the 20 series for the simple reason I want a huge increase from my current 1070. I'm confident I'll get that if I go for a 3080ti, hopeully about three times the performance.

Saying that its strange to be thinking about a new card when my 1070 is handling stuff like Doom Eternal and RE3 with ease.

Ah, the joys of pc gaming :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Doing that as well, probably because too much time on my hand these last few days.
This is where I'm at (got some parts, some are yet to be released), all new system - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4KdmWb

This is crazy expensive lol. Are you a first time PC builder? YOu should make a post in teh PC build thread tehy can help you. My first comment would be, why do you need a ATX motherboard and case? Surely you can use a smaller mobo, smaller case and less fans and a lower power PSU? Cool speakers I am a Audioengine fan, I have A2s myself as well as a D1 DAC. You might not need active speakers depending on the amping of your onboard sound.

Also why 2 TB mSSDs, an internal HDD and a 2TB HHD?

I think you have a good start but if your bduget is that high I think you can do better or spend less just my opinion.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I have a 1080ti but there was no way in hell I was opting for the 2080ti at that price. It's simply not worth it. Same goes for the 30 series. I'm not paying over a fucking grand for a GPU. I have my sights set on the 3080.

its a general rule of mine that there is no need to upgrade every generation UNLESS you are buying day 1 and selling your old GPU day 1. That could lead to some pretty cheap upgrades.

ZywyPL

Banned
From what I understand the next gen consoles have theoretically the same capabilities of utilizing DLSS as Nvidia with the tensor cores?

I'm not so sure about it, XBX will have Rapid Packed Match build into the GPU, that will theoretically allow for DirectML use, but in practice, even if all the GPU will be utilized solely for AI computations, it's still just a quarter of 2080Ti's dedicated Tensor Cores capability. So the question is how effective DirectML will be compared to DLSS, how much/little resources it will need to provide satisfying results. As for the PS5, not much is known about its GPU additional features other than Geometry Engine, so it's impossible to tell as of now, maybe it will have some AI upscaling, maybe not, maybe Sony will stick to CBR either way, time will tell.

GreatnessRD

Doing that as well, probably because too much time on my hand these last few days.
This is where I'm at (got some parts, some are yet to be released), all new system - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4KdmWb
Jump will be my biggest yet, because I'm going from a 980M to 3080Ti.
Cool build, but I'd say if you're gonna blow your load on an upgrade, might as well wait for the 10th gen/AMD4000s and the new cards, lol. But as DGrayson DGrayson stated, the build looks overkill for no reason, lol.

Shin

Banned
DGrayson DGrayson
Naw, long ago I used to build my own PC's, getting back into it now (laptop > desktop).
I tend to store a lot of things as I don't always get around to finish watch stuff.
A lot of old Japanese Taiga/JDrama also which you can't find through streams so yeah.

Either ATX or MicroATX (undecided ATM), in typical PC fashion (emphasis on P/personal), we have DDR5 coming up (unsure how beneficial it will be) and some other stuff.
I have to draw a line and just go, not the type to replace a GPU every year or 2 years, just rather do it good in 1 go, price be damned (albeit not smart but c'est la vie).

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I started with an amd 4850 I believe. Then went team green with a 570, 670, 970, 1080. I found the 2000 series to be overpriced for the performance increase. I'm hoping with new competition from amd and consoles that the 3000 series is a good step up and doesn't cost a kidney. I'd love to experience some ray tracing with playable framerates.

I'm expecting high prices from Nvidia. But maybe AMD has a competitive high end gpu this time around. We'll see.
Vodoo card -> radeon 9250 -> radeon 9600 -> leadtek 6660TD -> 4850 -> gtx 470 -> 6950 -> 7950 -> gtx 770 -> rx 580 -> vega64

Last edited:

GymWolf

i'm kinda in a strange place with my 2070super, it is a good gpu for 1440p60 or 4k60 with some settings toned down (with lighter games) but it's not gonna be nearly enough for stuff like cyberpunk or dying light2...
but i'm not gonna give money to nvidia if the 3080 it's not noticeably more powerfull than a 2080ti.

gpu history: amd 1650x or pro (or something)-then another amd 78something-gtx770-gtx970-gtx1070-rtx 2070super

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
Is there any reason to suspect/hope that the 3000 series launches cheaper than previous series?

or should I stash away a grand towards my futu re 3080 ti?
If the guy is correct then high chance it might cost just as current models, despite TSMC saying the fabrication process cost more but you save money due to less die space being used.
Since they might hold back and wait on AMD it kind feels like we were gonna get screwed to begin with had it not been for AMD, intentionally withholding power and now might unlock it as a means to counter the red team.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
DGrayson DGrayson
Naw, long ago I used to build my own PC's, getting back into it now (laptop > desktop).
I tend to store a lot of things as I don't always get around to finish watch stuff.
A lot of old Japanese Taiga/JDrama also which you can't find through streams so yeah.

Either ATX or MicroATX (undecided ATM), in typical PC fashion (emphasis on P/personal), we have DDR5 coming up (unsure how beneficial it will be) and some other stuff.
I have to draw a line and just go, not the type to replace a GPU every year or 2 years, just rather do it good in 1 go, price be damned (albeit not smart but c'est la vie).

Sure good to know but note the following, all my opinion ;

- go with the smallest motherboard and smallest case and smallest you can that will save you money. You also wont need as many case fans.
- Even if you keep a lot of stuff, i dont see the need for two 2TB SSD. Better to get the second drive as a HDD. SSDs are getting cheaper but you will save money you only new a HDD for movies and other media you dont access as much.
- You might not need that much arctic silver.
- 64 GB is a crazy amount of ram. Unless you are running certain applications off RAM for a specific reason I dont think you need more than 32 GB MAX
- Remember my comment about the speakers. I am a audiophile I am crazy about speakers but I am not sure you need A5s for a PC especially if you dont have a dedicated AMP and DAC. If you want to discuss DACs and AMPs let me know. My PC runs through a DAC and headphoen amp with A2s.

If you want to discuss further bring it here! - https://neogaf.com/threads/i-need-a...g-120hz-360hz-next-gen-already.1520520/page-4

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
7870 XT -> R9 390 -> RX 480+GTX 1060 -> RTX 2060 Super

I would love a $1K GPU, but I usually buy in the 'Performance' tier, so the old $250-350 range, and current $300-400 range. Might jump up to a $500 GPU whenever RDNA 2 or Amphere release. I'm expecting a 3060 to be a bit under a 2080, and 3070 a bit over a 2080 Super. Maybe for RT the 3060 beats the 2080, and comes in at $350-400. The 3070 running $500.

My first PC build was an 9800 GTX+. Upgraded to an HD 6970 and later another one in crossfire. Wasn't happy with AMD or dual GPU in general so my next card was the original GTX Titan. Then I went from 980 Ti to 1080 Ti.
I was happy with the 1080 Ti at first but now it's having trouble keeping up so my next card is gonna be the 3080 Ti.

I hope the 3080 Ti will be atleast 80% more powerful than the 1080 Ti. Price is not the biggest concern for me so long as it's powerful enough. I didn't get the 2080 Ti because the power difference was way too small.

Anki

Banned
My gpu upgrade if i remember corectly:

nvidia Tnt 2 -> geforce 6600 -> radeon 5830 -> geforce 1060 (sold my pc) -> 5830 (it just died) -> geforce 970 -> geforce 3000 series in the future, depending on price.

Shin

Banned
wait for the 10th gen/AMD4000s
That's thing with PC components, something new always on the horizon.
The biggest problem is that there doesn't seem to be an oled/ips monitor with 5ms g2g, 144Hz, HDR and 4K.
That aside I wonder where the 3080Ti will sit in terms of RT, probably way off still for 4K/60/HDR/RT all enabled and running at the highest setting of a modern game.

pawel86ck

Banned
Professional Ampere GPU's will have insane amount of CUDA cores (up to 8000 and thats 30TF with 2GHz clock) but I think Nv will want to make as much money possible with their gaming series, and the best way to do that is to sell one architecture twice. We will see probably 5000-6000 CUDA cores GPUs Q4 2020 (RTX 3070 - 3080), and nearly 8000 CUDA cores GPU one year lafer (RTX 3080ti) and I also dont expect cheaper prices.

When it comes to my upgrade history: Voodoo 2, TNT2, Geforce 2 MX, Geforce 3, Geforce 8800Ultra, GTX 680, GTX 1080ti... but now I have no PC because I sold my all gaming platforms.

Last edited:

Vindicator

Gonna wait and get a PS5 then see how the 7nm cards perform, especially the Direct 3D Ultimate stuff, maybe getting the 3070.

3dfx Voodoo 2 -> ATI Rage Fury -> Geforce 6600 GT -> GTX 460 -> GTX 670 -> RTX 2060S (RMA'd) -> RTX 2070

Xyphie

Realistically performance will scale roughly linearly in line with what memory is available at the time of release as bandwidth/TFLOP will be roughly similar across the Ampere portfolio and going from Ampere to Turing.

2080 Ti has a 352-bit GDDR6 bus with 14Gbps modules for total of 616GB/s bandwidth.

A Ampere card with a full 384-bit bus and 16-18Gbps modules would have 768-864GB/s and thus be around 25-40% faster. Expect roughly similar increases at 128/192/256-bit cards.

There's some benchmarks out there for a ~8000 CUDA core GA100 card which would end up being around ~30TFLOPS, such a card would need like ~1.5TB/s of bandwidth, so probably 3072/4096-bit HBM2e and cost an arm and a leg.

Last edited:

McHuj

Is there any reason to suspect/hope that the 3000 series launches cheaper than previous series?

or should I stash away a grand towards my futu re 3080 ti?

No idea, but I can't imagine Nvidia hoping to make significant sales with higher prices than the 2000 series in the post Covid economy. I don't think there will be significant demand for $1000+ GPUs.

Kenpachii

Preferable 3x 1080ti performance, minimum 2x performance of 1080ti. I will not be bothered with the 3080, 3080ti however i will be. If its 1k+ i won't upgrade towards it and wait for gen after it.

Anyway.

• voodoo2, shit card barely runned anything
  • 3d diamond viper 2, shit card, worst card i ever owned. totally trash.
  • geforce 2 ti, best card i ever bought thing was like a 1080ti really.
  • geforce 4 4200 ti, really good card, never had issue's.
  • radeon 9800 ( this one could be before the geforce 4 can't remember ), trash card always overheating, drivers where a mess.
  • geforce 8800 ( good card, trash parts died on me multiple times )
  • geforce 280 ( godly dx9 card, shit dx10 card, died multiple times shit quality )
  • geforce 580 ( good card if not for its 1,5gb of v-ram, had no future because of that ), also super hot to the point gpu fused with cooler. ) also died twice on me
  • 2x more 580's ( 3 way sli ) to make some benches with, sold it pretty soon after again. as 3 way sli is shit.
  • 290x radeon, because needed more v-ram and performance.
  • another 290x radeon, needed more performance for higher resolution however crossfire was completely and utter dog shit even worse than sli, drivers nuked my already somewhat older CPU to crumps which ended up me selling them. Performance was all over the place and drivers after a bunch of AMD fanboys told me it was no longer a issue where definitely a issue.
  • 970gtx, best card i ever owned probably. this still rocks like a truck, no sound, no heat, low power, highly overclockable. good driver support, good performance on lower end cpu's in dx11 titles. That thing had some good legs and ate every game for breakfast.
  • 1080ti, godly gpu as i sit on 1080p for maximal responsiveness. This monster basically eats whatever u throw at it at ultra settings. Just boot up the game, slam settings on ultra and boom play. However for games like next assassin creed and red dead redemption more gpu performance will be needed most likely. bought it for being future proof more then 2000 series cards where, 11gb of v-ram is going to be useful going forwards, also needed it for emulation coding and testing to make 5k resolutions work as it needs more then 8gb of v-ram so it made sense.
  • 1650 super for nvenc turing codec for streaming, gpu is about 970 tier, nothing special.

Last edited:

johntown

Banned
Personally, I will be waiting for the 3080 Ti and while it is a nice thought to think NVIDIA will have in under 1k I highly doubt it. Especially, if what the rumors touted are true with a 50% performance increase. Hoping they stick with GDDR6 or maybe by the time it is released GDDR7 to keep the price a little lower. I think if it goes GDDR it will have 16GB.

My PC gaming has been similar to the OP. GTX 660 - GTX980 - 1080ti. With these next cards though I will probably need to a complete PC refresh as my CPU will start to be the bottleneck.

Last edited:

kingbean

Double my 1080Ti Minimum for me to consider upgrading.

History:
5700LE
Radeon 9700 pro
Radeon X700 - Sold it because I was a broke college kid
6600 GT
7800GT - returned it because
7900GT
7900GT SLI
8800GTS 320mb
AMD 4970
GTX 280
GTX 560ti
GTX 670
GTX 780
GTX 980
GTX 1080
GTX 1080Ti

Skyr

Forgot about the GPU History part.

• Trident Super VGA (no idea which model it was but it had 16 bit colors and at least a few mb of vram)
  • GeForce 3 Ti 200 (my first real GPU obviously and it was pretty good for a passive cooled cared. Good bang for the buck)
  • Radeon 9800 pro (what a piece of crap. Was overheating like crazy until it basically went up in flames and died)
  • GeForce 8800GT (one of the best cards of all time)
  • Zotac GeForce GTX 470 AMP
  • Radeon R9 280x (great bang for the buck. Ran way too hot and loud tho)
  • MSI GeForce GTX 970 (amazing card. It was almost inaudible at load. MSI Twin Frozer)
  • MSI GeForce GTX 1070
  • ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080ti
And here is my Top 3 of the cards I owned. I am considering bang for the buck and longevity and reliability
  1. GeForce GTX 970
  2. GeForce 8800GT
  3. GeForce GTX 1080ti

Last edited:

McHuj

Oh, here is my GPU history

GeForce 3 Ti 200 -> GeForce 6600 GT - > ???? -> Radeon 4770 -> GTX460 -> GTX560ti -> GTX670 -> GTX970 -> GTX1070 -> RTX2080

Ellery

Okay time for some speculation (I mostly throw around numbers now) :

Worst case scenario

- RTX 3080 12GB VRAM
- Release date : August/September 2020
- Performance 10-15% over RTX 2080 Ti Founders
- Price 899$
- RayTracing core performance 35% over RTX 2080 Ti

9 months later

- RTX 3080 Ti 16GB
- Performance 30% over RTX 3080
- Price 1299$
- RayTracing core performance 30% over RTX 3080

This time around there are so many factors and scenarios I could see happening. I am not even sure if I expect expensive cards again. Maybe the RDNA2 AMD Navi products are so good that Nvidia has to come in at a lower price. Maybe they have to come im at a lower price because of corona anyways with people spending less money on non-essential stuff. Maybe I am just wrong about everything.

With Nvidia (and partly AMD's fault) we have seen increasing prices on products and Nvidia making record profits. At some point it will be harder for people to justify higher prices so I don't expect the 3080 Ti to be 2000$ or anything like that. That would be absolutely absurd.

Best case scenario

Nvidia needs to counter the mighty 7nm+ RDNA2 AMD lineup and launches 7nm/10nm (not sure what they are using) to compete with AMD because the RTX 20 series got absolutely SLAUGHTERED.

- RTX 3080 16GB VRAM
- Release date : June 2020
- Performance 10-15% over RTX 2080 Ti
- Price $599

At the end it is probably somewhere inbetween or completely different with completely different names and new features nobody thought of before. Maybe they will introduce new halo named products again in the same vein of the Titan (but maybe slightly lower). They have much smarter people doing this kind of work at Nvidia than me and they could probably come up with a 1000$ Nvidia ANAX card that people would buy just because it has a halo name.

Ue73Jrx_d.jpg

silentz

Banned
GPU History

- Nvidia FX 5500
- Nvidia 7600 GS (Xpertvision)
- ATI 2900XT (Powercolor)
- Nvidia GTX 260 (Gainward)
- Nvidia GTX 570 (EVGA)
- Nvidia GTX 1060 (Asus)

kiphalfton

I have about $2k I am willing to put towards a new computer, so hoping for the following prices:
- Intel i9-10900k for <$500
- ATX mobo for <$150
- RTX 3080 ti for <$1200

If so I'll probably buy a new case as well. Probably just reuse my heat sink fan, ram, SSD, and HDD in my current computer.

Leonidas

I predict Nvidia will have the most powerful GPUs, the highest performing ray-tracing performance and the most power efficient GPUs with 3000 series, those are the things that matter the most to me.

What does everyone think they will bring in terms of specs, what abotu prices? Any chance we could see sub 1K prices for a TI model?

I think there is a good chance we'll see $1000+
-AMD GPU prices per tier has also risen
-if 3080 Ti is 50% faster than AMD then Nvidia will most likely charge for it again
-2080 Ti has been the best selling $1000 GPU ever

GPU History (cards I kept for > 4 months)

HD 7870
GTX 680
GTX 980
GTX 980 Ti
GTX 1080
GTX 1060
RTX 2080 Ti
RTX 2070 Super

Last edited:

MacReady13

Been waiting a long time now for these 3000 series cards. My 980 is holding on barely, but I've moved to 4k and I need a card that can keep up. Wonder when they will release these cards???

Top Bottom