• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G2A condemn their LoL sponsorship ban as "heavy handed and potentially damaging"

JrFJMc5.png

You have a reaction for everything.

e5KeUjJ.gif

Besides people who like suspiciously cheap shit and don't care why it's suspiciously cheap, why would anyone defend G2A? Sponsorship?

People pointed out that G2A is just an ebay catering for digital goods. I'm not intimately familiar with the site but I understand it in concept and it doesn't offend me. I think the assumption you're making is that "suspiciously" cheap means it is cheap for "nefarious" reasons. But apparently a lot of it is purchasing keys while they are cheap and selling them while they are higher. There seem to be many reasonable explanations as to why a code might be sold cheaper on g2a, but people assume the worst.

I know people in general love to focus only on the negatives of something. For example, we'll have someone claim they got a code revoked because of suspicious reasons or something. But we don't really hear from the people who use the site and never have a problem.

I've never used the site, but to think someone would defend them only because they are sponsored, or as someone suggests there is a defense force for everything, is a bit insulting to people who legitimately think the site has value for them.

I personally choose to reserve judgment until I know all the facts, at least to a reasonable degree.

People pointed out that G2A is just an ebay catering for digital goods. I'm not intimately familiar with the site but I understand it in concept and it doesn't offend me. I think the assumption you're making is that "suspiciously" cheap means it is cheap for "nefarious" reasons. But apparently a lot of it is purchasing keys while they are cheap and selling them while they are higher. There seem to be many reasonable explanations as to why a code might be sold cheaper on g2a, but people assume the worst.

I know people in general love to focus only on the negatives of something. For example, we'll have someone claim they got a code revoked because of suspicious reasons or something. But we don't really hear from the people who use the site and never have a problem.

I've never used the site, but to think someone would defend them only because they are sponsored, or as someone suggests there is a defense force for everything, is a bit insulting to people who legitimately think the site has value for them.

I personally choose to reserve judgment until I know all the facts, at least to a reasonable degree.

The whole issue is that the entire market is "Don't ask, don't tell". Yes, most of the codes come from "official resellers". But no-one asks how they got the codes.

I have countless examples of similar sites buying keys from a "official reseller", and being contacted by the actual publisher, who state it's impossible since they don't sell keys to that reseller.

Practical cases of russian code gifting, opening physical retail copies etc etc. I am not gonna tell you what to believe, and G2A certainly is not the only one with these practices, but believe me when I say that right now this whole market is still a cowboy affair, and the one with the biggest mouth and least moral conscience wins.

The market is trying to shift, but physical retail contracts prevent that from happening fast. It will take some time before we reach a clean digital key market. Some companies are trying to clean it up, and G2A certainly isn't one of them.

As someone not that familiar with LoL or G2A, I've got a bit of a feeling that Riot does much more for esports than G2A does (other than allegations of some anti-competitive behaviour from a while back).

Pheace

G2A is 'negotiating' not selling. But yeah Riot doesn't care.

It's quite the other way around, pretty sure Riot twittered they were in contact with G2A before this ban and they made it very clear they demanded the removal of account/boost selling.

Clearly that failed.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
It's quite the other way around, pretty sure Riot twittered they were in contact with G2A before this ban and they made it very clear they demanded the removal of account/boost selling.

Clearly that failed.
*Riot doesn't care that G2A is not directly accepting, then selling the accounts. Just brokering is enough for them to be upset.

People pointed out that G2A is just an ebay catering for digital goods. I'm not intimately familiar with the site but I understand it in concept and it doesn't offend me.
There is no way to know who is selling you the key, so you can never know the reputation behind the seller. And that is a pretty big difference from Ebay or Amazon.

I think the assumption you're making is that "suspiciously" cheap means it is cheap for "nefarious" reasons. But apparently a lot of it is purchasing keys while they are cheap and selling them while they are higher. There seem to be many reasonable explanations as to why a code might be sold cheaper on g2a, but people assume the worst.
There are some keys that are bought with stolen credit cards, and they aren't a few. I'm not saying it's G2As' fault, but they certainly make it a lot easier by giving full anonimity to the seller.

Yes we do, you can search online and on steam forums for quite a bit of revoked keys. It's not about "focusing on the negatives", it's putting the finger on a problem. If you clients decide to ignore those to get their cheap keys, that's on them.

Given that it takes, on average, 200 hours to level an account to 30 without boosts...
Just to clear things up: Playing both days of your weekend it takes around a month . Most people take half a year.

Top Bottom