• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G4 Powerbook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poody

What program do you use to photoshop a picture?
Ok i have a decision to make guys so help me out. I am planning on buy a brand new 17" G4 powerbook on ebay for $1000. The only draw back is I know its some grey market ish. Should I do it or what? That deal is so tempting.

Don't do it. Apple take a record of all stolen computers and the second you jump on the net, Software Update will talk with Apple's servers and learn your machine carries a serial number that matches a reported stolen one. Then it's just a matter of time before your IP is traced and there are cops knocking on your door.

Wendo

Vasectomember
mhcrem.jpg

Poody

Freestyler said:
Don't do it. Apple take a record of all stolen computers and the second you jump on the net, Software Update will talk with Apple's servers and learn your machine carries a serial number that matches a reported stolen one. Then it's just a matter of time before your IP is traced and there are cops knocking on your door.

actually i think you have the wrong connotation of the word "grey market". The products arn't stolen. A grey market item is an item that is imported directly from another country that bypasses the U.S. Manufacturers Authorized Distributors. So its not an authorized apple dealer. Now you may ask whats wrong with that? Well Almost all grey market products do not carry any manufactorer warranty so if you need a repair then your fucked basically.

Wendo

Vasectomember
Poody said:
actually i think you have the wrong connotation of the word "grey market". The products arn't stolen. A grey market item is an item that is imported directly from another country that bypasses the U.S. Manufacturers Authorized Distributors. So its not an authorized apple dealer. Now you may ask whats wrong with that? Well Almost all grey market products do not carry any manufactorer warranty so if you need a repair then your fucked basically.

In all seriousness, don't buy it. When you're spending that much money on specialized hardware, it's really not worth it to not have a warranty. I seem to recall Consumer Reports saying that something like over 10% of all computers have some sort of defect.

number386

Even if it is grey market I find it very hard to believe you can get a brand new 17' inch PB for $1000.

Sounds like a scam.

Poody

First I want to tell you that my systems are brand new, unopened box all listed accessories included and also an international warranty. The invoice will come at the same time with the package.
My buy it now price is the best you could get: 1000usd/unit, including the shipping and insurance taxes. We will pay them because the package will be delivered from Europe. As delivery service we use UPS2daysair service (with insurance and 15 days return policy), because it's the faster. And if you will have a quick payment, we must also have a quick delivery. So that's why we use as a payment method Western Union money transfer, the fastest and also very secure way of sending money. So, if you agree with my terms I'm sure that we can close the deal as soon as possible.
Waiting your quick answer right now

He sent me this.

Fowler

Poody said:

Whether this is worth it or not is up to you -- but I should note that AppleCare for PowerBooks works worldwide. So no matter where that laptop came from, if you buy AppleCare for it you will be able to service it in the US.

Poody

ear Customer,
First of all, I would like to inform you that I have 4 units available Apple PowerBook G4 17" 1.67 GHz. The buy it now price is $1,200 including shipping costs. The laptops are new, in factory boxes, with all accesories, OS CD's, warranty papers for 1 year included. Now, in order to be able to buy it please let us know if you have any negative feedback and, if this is the case, for what reason. Please also provide us with the following details necessary to take a decision:
-your full name and address for shipping
-your ph#
Regarding the payment I will deal through www.escrow.com eBay recomended for our both security.
At request, unit(s) will be shipped as a gift to avoid country taxes and customs.
Thank you,
Joe Franklin

just spoke to another ebayer and heres his response. And this guy has 100% feedback! Too good to be true???

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
One more thing to consider...a 17" PowerBook is going for ~$2,700 on Apple's site. Don't you find it the slightest bit odd that he is offering it for over 50% off the retail price?

Poody

ckohler said:
Seriously Poody... I wouldn't do it. If it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

BTW, have you ever seen http://www.p-p-p-powerbook.com/ ? It's about a scammer trying to buy (not sell) a Powerbook off ebay and the dude caught him in the act. Hilarious.

Oh crap thanks alot guys!!! I'll just buy it off apple.com :)

Senior Lurker

MS Informed
retardboy said:
Never do money orders. I can almost guarantee its a rip.

IAWTP. A friend of mine bought I think a SE P900 when it was just out (or not even out) at the US market. It was a seller in Romania, who listed the item being at a different location. He insisted on Western Union money transfer. They would chat on MSN Messenger and stuff, and as soon as my friend stupidly made the payment, the guy wouldn't even login into his MSN. And it was a same case of the phone being about $400 cheaper or something.

So yes, as others have suggested, an obvious scam.

Lhadatt

Poody said:
Oh crap thanks alot guys!!! I'll just buy it off apple.com :)
Good.

You are NOT going to find Powerbooks from Europe (or any other territory) with "international warranties" on sale for over $1k less than what Apple prices them. The Euro is more valuable than the dollar (1.33 USD to 1 Euro, in fact), so he would be paying under 700 Euros for the Powerbooks in order to make a profit. There's no way in hell Apple will sell to him that cheaply. Also, the money order thing is VERY suspect.

Do not buy expensive new stuff off Ebay, unless the seller is verified to be a good seller, an internet shop, etc. Also, pay with a credit card, since you can dispute the charge if the seller doesn't come through - you can TRY Paypal, but they don't like to treat disputes properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom