• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GaaS gets a bad rap

I don’t mind GAAS existing, but I have a huge issue with games that were never GAAS adopting their structure because it rarely benefits the game. ONE of my primary issues with GAAS is it seems to make companies very nonchalant. Before GAAS, we usually got improved sequels every few years and more complete games.

Now we have to play the same antiquated games for around 5-10 years until they decide to move on to the sequel or something new. They usually launch the game incomplete and use pricey and predatory microtransactions to eventually try to make them complete. A lot of them imo feel like soulless cash grabs designed to suck your time and money with no end in sight.

Last edited:

Humdinger

It's a hugely predatory market, based largely around addictive mechanisms (not the same as fun). I've never been interested in that type of game, and I'm disappointed at how lucrative the practice is, and how many publishers are falling over themselves to shift toward Live Service models. It's simply not a form of gaming that I'm fond of or have any use for. I see exploitation, greed, and truckloads of shitty games that people just gobble up.

So no, I don't think it gets a bad rap. I think it gets the rap it deserves.

GaaS gets a bad wrap despite some of the most popular games being GaaS. I play a ton of single player but COD, Warhammer, ESO etc are some of my most played games due to the continuous progression that exist withing them. GaaS is the way the industry will go given that gaming is primarily a social medium...any way that allows people to interact is good to me. Single player games are superb but personally I'd rather them be scaled back to 2-3 year dev windows, have more of them instead of non stop bloat we have. Unless you are a consistent backlog gamer GaaS do a good job at massive gaps between tentpole games.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Main issue is studios chasing that money with terrible ideas and it wastes time and resources or causes studios to go under. It was the same thing during the 360/PS3 gen with developers focusing on MP because of COD and then chasing the Wii with Kinect and PS Move. At least the Move controllers were brute forced into PSVR, amazing that those things work as well as they do.

Capcom got the memo, focus on what people want and then dabble in GaaS stuff. Seems like Exoprimal is a failure unfortunately but I dunno, who cares really? We're still getting bangers from Capcom on a regular basis.

WoJ

I still play Division 2, and content support is ramping up. Game is great. Will probably keep playing it until Division 3 hits.

There’s a sea of shit GAAS, but there’s a sea of shit single player titles as well. There isn’t a single GAAS title as bad as the Gollum game, but hey.
Anthem says hi.

But in all seriousness I agree with the general sentiment of your post.

shamo42

I hate GAAS. It is just there to suck more money out of a player. That is why they switched to the business model they earn more.

This. The industry cares about profit and not what's best for players. If GaaS generates more profit for less work we will keep seeing a huge push for it.

I'm not saying all GaaS are bad but in general I expect subscriptions will get more expensive, online purchases will become essential to enjoy games, physical media will completely disappear so we can't sell our games or buy them used anymore. Pretty much "You'll own nothing and you will be happy".

AJUMP23

Gold Member
It is about margin. The margins are better in gaas. You get an exponential amount of money per player as opposed to the old model.

I enjoy every type of game out there. In a sea of shit you have to pick out the best stuff, sometimes that’s a gaas game. Every genre and type of game has good and bad examples.
I’m currently playing both Genshin Impact and Baldurs Gate 3. You can like both types of games!

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
GaaS is the way the industry will go given that gaming is primarily a social medium...any way that allows people to interact is good to me.
chainsaw-man-makima.gif

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Lets be hornets Gas is crud buuuuuuuuuut especialies for good studios like Sony to waste resemources on them not many blockbuster single players games from them this year

I can't think of a single GaaS game that I enjoy. I used to like some MMOs and pay for them - Ultima Online and Asheron's Call 20+ years ago. I was fine with that price because they provided something I couldn't get anywhere else. I still play those games but on free shards (my point about this is that I wasn't even paying for the "continual content" per se, even though Asheron's Call's story updates were interesting/cool). GaaS is a different beast entirely I think. I'd rather have an even mostly full product than something with continual, nebulous updates over unknown time.

Last edited:

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Almost no concept that is used badly in the gaming industry is by itself bad.

GaaS "always" existed, too.
If you think about it, even games like Starcraft were kept alive and expanded/managed by paid employees long after release - because it was financially viable.

Kumomeme

GaaS gets a bad rap, because gamers are looking at it all wrong.

no, it get bad rap because gamers get to look at all the bad stuff happened with their own eye thanks to courtesy of the developers that lead them often get tricked with FOMO and other stuff designed to suck player time and money instead of genuinely all about making great game that also respecting their player base.

sure, the devs need money to maintain services, patch, update and stuff but,

the issue is, once the company become greed and it become money sucking hole.

players number and profit become main measurement despite of whatever the fanbase that actually care is complaining is about the state of the game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom