• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gabe Newell thinks modders not being accurately compensated is a bug in the system

Of course he thinks that, it's another revenue stream for Steam and it makes the mods (and thus the games) an even bigger part in the Steam eco-system.

I still remember the weapon skins for Skyrim for like 2 or 5 euro.

It's been said before but I'm also absolutely sure they simply want another non-effort revenue stream. Modding is huge, they don't have to do jackshit besides providing the payment platform and cash in. Also I would expect paid mods to be updated and maintained for as long as the game is updated - this is simply unrealistic. Huge publishers can't even get their products fixed up often enough, what to expect from single/small group of hobbyists? I would also expect a hassle free installation routine supported by the publisher.

Jup, I completely agree. Mods should be free and have a donation system. The nature of mods makes that you always combine mods, try stuff out and overall just mess around with all the settings.

If you really want to get paid for your programming, you should make a game, not a mod.

Lagamorph

So what he really means is that it's a bug in the system that Valve aren't able to take a cut of mod sales through Steam Workshop.

It'd be virtually impossibly to really implement a workable "Pay for mods" system. Some mods just straight up don't work for some people for seemingly no reason, some mods are completely incompatible with other mods, some mods are just straight up rip offs of other people's mods (And sometimes just a re-upload with little to no modification). Unless Valve are going to curate and test every single paid mod that hits their system, and provide a 100% guarantee that it will work, then paying for mods just isn't workable.

Paying for mods would only work for professionally made and professionally supported mods, like Long War 2. An optional Patreon-style system, as already suggested, would be a good alternative for the rest.

A-V-B

The mod community has been functionning well for years, why risk unbalancing the system for just a couple of dollars more.

Possibly because they ran the numbers and theorized they could unbalance the system without destroying it, and then watch it rebalance itself over time into a consistent revenue stream. They just went in too hard the first time around.

They're trying out all sorts of experimental economic systems, so I wouldn't put this outside their tinkering range.

Morat

Banned
If mods are good enough to drive sales then the publisher can pay them.

Yeah. And furthermore, charging for mods (eurgh), would limit what you could do with them, as suddenly all those licensed properties used in them would not be possible. Also, many mods are dependent on other mods, which is fine if they are free but becomes an issue if someone is profiting of someone elses work. Not everything should be a market, but valve would certainly like a cut for no reason.

Victrix

*beard*
I just don't see how you get around the issue of many mods having deeply unclear provenance, and in many cases, even if they are solo/organized group efforts, they are often built on the backs of work from other modders.

This isn't a case where some single artist creates a new model/skin/etc and puts it up for sale at all. Complex mods can touch many aspects of a game, and the source of those modifications might all be from one person or one group... or they might not, and how do you ever prove that, how do you decide how much to pay who?

(not to mention that a fair number of modders are literal children, creating a whole host of other problems)

Its funny how Gabe, as much as I respect the guy, thinks modders arent compensated, but its totally okay for them to have a translation plattform on Steam itself where people translate Steam stuff for free....

He just likes the idea of getting a cut of mods.

Anything else is just fluff.

Horp

I'm not convinced Valve just want a cut. Rather, I do think he wants what he says.
I don't really agree though. People, including myself, really enjoy doing certain things without money being involved. Writing articles on wikipedia, participating on dev forums helping people with lengthy posts and replies, and yes also creating mods. Many modders have a day job creating games for money, with all the deadlines and complaints and responsibilities that come with that. Having a hobby project, where you work only for your enjoyment has great merits.

Eumi

Company wants new revenue stream that relays on practically zero work from them. Shocking.

I'm honestly surprised patreon hasn't fixed this issue. Are you not allowed to set up a patreon for mod creation?

Top Bottom