• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, Don't forget to get your Zuck Bucks™ - Facebook User Privacy Settlement Claim available

Pejo

Here's an article explaining if you qualify and how it came about:

Here's a link to the actual form, it takes only a few minutes to fill out:

I think users that have older accounts are entitled to more than newer users, but won't it feel good to take money out of Zuck's pocket, even if just a little individually?

A quick TL;DC:

What Did Facebook (Now Meta) Do Wrong?​

Multiple lawsuits were brought against Facebook claiming that the company made its users' – and their friends' – data available to third parties without permission. Facebook is also accused of not sufficiently monitoring or enforcing third-party use of or access to that data.
"This settlement resolves claims arising from Facebook's privacy practices, which led to, among other things, a 2016 data leak of 87 million users' private information to Cambridge Analytica, a political consulting firm," Ghose says. The company used that data to provide “psychographic microtargeting and analysis to the firm's clients, including Donald Trump's first presidential campaign," he adds.

Meta denies any wrongdoing but says it's agreeing to a settlement to avoid the risks and costs of a trial.

When Will You Get the Payment and How Much Will It Be?​

The amount of the payment will depend on the number of claims that get approved and the length of time you were a Facebook user during the class period (2007 to 2022).
"The settlement is a relatively big penalty, even for a company as wealthy as Meta but it's going to amount to very little money in users' pockets at the end of the day. Legal fees will eat up a good chunk, and there are hundreds of millions of affected users who are eligible to receive a share of the settlement," Ben Michael, attorney at Michael & Associates Criminal Defense Attorneys in Austin, Texas, says.
As for when you'll get the payment, there is no set date because the case has to undergo a final approval hearing on Sept. 7, 2023. During that hearing, the court will decide whether to approve the settlement or not. If it does get approved, Facebook can file appeals. If and when all the appeals are resolved, the company will distribute payments.

Pejo

How much we getting I filed a month or 2 ago.
I think the older users are likely to get up to between 100-200, with newer users getting 10-20 depending on what they settle for and how quickly the money runs out.

So maybe I shouldn't have posted this after all....
And I Oop Oh No GIF by The Weeknd

-Minsc-

"If you were a Facebook user in the United States between May 24, 2007, and December 22, 2022, inclusive, you may be eligible for a cash payment from a Class Action Settlement."

I AM. CANADIAN

BlackTron

I've been a user since 2007 but somehow expect to be paid pennies in the end, in exchange for the time of filling out the form and being placed on some sort of Zuck personal black list of the first people to go in his New World Order

Top Bottom