• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games o' the Year Voting Thread 2008

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
AniHawk said:
Just a reminder: Only an hour left until the deadline.
Just a pre "You're the man for putting all of this together and compiling the data" before the polls close.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
RubxQub said:
Just a pre "You're the man for putting all of this together and compiling the data" before the polls close.
Yeah, seriously.

1.Fable 2
2.Dead Space
3.Burnout Paradise
4.Rock Band 2
5.Banjo Kazooie: N&B
6.Braid
7.Call of Duty: WaW
8.Left 4 Dead
9.Metal Gear Solid 4
10.Grand Theft Auto 4

I haven't gotten much time with Prince of Persia, Mirror's Edge, Persona 4, or Far Cry 2 so I don't know where those would fall but that's my list as of now.

Unison

1. Fallout 3
2. Professor Layton and the Curious Village
3. Audiosurf
4. Mother 3
5. Left 4 Dead
6. Wrath of the Lich King
7. Mario Kart Wii
8. Persona 4
9. Boom Blox
10. Master of the Monster Lair

LukeSmith

Thanks for doing this Ani, it is always one of my favorite threads of the year. The cumulative stuff is interesting, but I actually really like reading through the thread and seeing various poster's individual lists.

h3ro

LukeSmith said:
Thanks for doing this Ani, it is always one of my favorite threads of the year. The cumulative stuff is interesting, but I actually really like reading through the thread and seeing various poster's individual lists.

Come on, you can't come in here and not post your list as well! Just like you like reading our lists, we wanna read your's and see what you guys pick. :D

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
h3ro said:
Come on, you can't come in here and not post your list as well! Just like you like reading our lists, we wanna read your's and see what you guys pick. :D
Might want to check his post history there mister. ;)

Polls are still open? If so, here's my ballot!

1. Brawl
2. Kirby Superstar Ultra
3. Braid
4. Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People
5. No More Heroes
6. Fable II
7. Megaman 9
8. Soul Calibur IV
9. Rockband 2
10. Guitar Hero World Tour

And an honorable mention to God Hand; even though it's not a 2008 game, I finally got around to playing it, and it deserves a mention every year.

1.MGS 4
2.Yakuza 2
3.Valkyria Chronicles
4.Persona 4
5.Persona 3: FES
6.Pro Evolution Soccer 2008
7.Little Big Planet
8.Patapon
9.Professor Layton and the Curious Village
10.Shiren the Wanderer

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
1.) Persona 4
2.) World of Goo
3.) No More Heroes
4.) Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts
5.) Tales of Vesperia
6.) Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
7.) Ace Attorney 4
8.) Professor Layton
9.) Final Fantasy IV
10.) Advance Wars: Days of Ruin

AniHawk

Voting is now over.

Thanks to everyone who participated. It'll be just a few moments to tally up the rest and post the awards thread.

HUELEN10

AniHawk said:
Voting is now over.

Thanks to everyone who participated. It'll be just a few moments to tally up the rest and post the awards thread.
Thank You once again for everything Anihawk. Now get to it!
NeoGAFKittenFaceByHUELEN10.gif

:lol

Prolly too late (not like it matters, the ranking isn't gonna change :lol ), but here's my list:

1. LittleBigPlanet

For me, this isn't even close. I know we're supposed to list three games, but this is the only one I think genuinely deserves it. It's totally exceeded all my expectations and is doing something completely new and executing that concept almost flawlessly. The MGS4 add on pack just sealed the deal for me.

2. Metal Gear Solid 4

The only next gen game that feels like a genuine hollywood blockbuster production at times. For this reason alone, it deserves a heck of a lot of praise. Not many games try to attempt what Kojima does, and for those that do most end up failing (heck, even Kojima fails at it sometimes when he gets in over his head). This is definitely my single player GOTY. Multiplayer was horrid, but luckily the rest of the package largely delivered.

3. Gears of War 2

Badass single player campaign. Multiple co-op modes that are pretty fun. Only downfall is the multiplayer. Just not a big fan, plus it doesn't work as well as it should.

4. MotorStorm 2

My racing game of the gen. Absolutely fantastic all around. Gets ridiculously difficult near the end, but gorgeous track layouts with multiple branching paths. I don't think it gets much better than this.

5. --

6. --

7. MLB 08 The Show

Best baseball game out there (I suppose that's not saying much, but really, fantastic package all around).

8. --

10. Resistance 2.

OK single player. OK competitve. Great co-op.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Two minutes too late, so close.

---

Did Braid manage to edge out Valkyria!? The suspense!

To anyone who's done the math: don't ruin my fun. :lol

AniHawk

Private Hoffman said:
Prolly too late (not like it matters, the ranking isn't gonna change :lol ), but here's my list:

1. LittleBigPlanet

For me, this isn't even close. I know we're supposed to list three games, but this is the only one I think genuinely deserves it. It's totally exceeded all my expectations and is doing something completely new and executing that concept almost flawlessly. The MGS4 add on pack just sealed the deal for me.

2. Metal Gear Solid 4

The only next gen game that feels like a genuine hollywood blockbuster production at times. For this reason alone, it deserves a heck of a lot of praise. Not many games try to attempt what Kojima does, and for those that do most end up failing (heck, even Kojima fails at it sometimes when he gets in over his head). This is definitely my single player GOTY. Multiplayer was horrid, but luckily the rest of the package largely delivered.

3. Gears of War 2

Badass single player campaign. Multiple co-op modes that are pretty fun. Only downfall is the multiplayer. Just not a big fan, plus it doesn't work as well as it should.

4. MotorStorm 2

My racing game of the gen. Absolutely fantastic all around. Gets ridiculously difficult near the end, but gorgeous track layouts with multiple branching paths. I don't think it gets much better than this.

5. --

6. --

7. MLB 08 The Show

Best baseball game out there (I suppose that's not saying much, but really, fantastic package all around).

8. --

10. Resistance 2.

OK single player. OK competitve. Great co-op.

You know, without the text, I think you would have made it in on time. I'll count it (plus it doesn't change the rankings at all).

This is the absolute last one though.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
AniHawk said:
You know, without the text, I think you would have made it in on time. I'll count it (plus it doesn't change the rankings at all).

This is the absolute last one though.

Did anyone's posts on this last page actually change the rankings? heh

oh and thank you for all the hard work Anihawk

Schrade

HUELEN10 said:
Huh? What are you talking about again?
He was going to get banned for posting something but the mods decided to postpone it til after he's done with the GAF Game of the Year awards.

Mar

LukeSmith said:

Seconded. My thoughts exactly. I don't know why but I find it fascinating what people pick as their favourite games.

Ok, so I realize these rankings are late, and I'm not trying to have them counted. Just wanted to post up my tops of the year. tl;dr post below:

Top 5 handheld games:

5. Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
4. Loco Roco 2 PSP
3. Wipeout Pulse PSP
2. Ketsui Death Label DS
1. Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia DS

Top 5 arcade games:

5. VF5R
4. Deathsmiles Black Label
3. Street Fighter IV
2. Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu
1. Mushihimesama Futari Black Label

Top 10 Games of the Year (all formats)

Basically, spaces in my GOTY list are mainly allocated to games that live up to what they're trying to be, that provide exactly what I expect out of them. I'm also really partial to games that can be played in short sessions, like less than an hour. I have officially lost patience with wait-fests like the Last Remnant etc. and instead go for short, sharp gaming sessions, and this influences my choices.

10. Street Fighter 2: HD Remix XBOX360

Yeah just a sick game that has great pick-up-and-play value to it. Netcode is about all you can ask for, and I'm really glad Sirlin got this through for everyone who likes fighters.

9. Braid XBOX360

Braid has this awesome, melancholy presentation that really sucked me in. I wound up beating most of it in one night, staying up really late. The twists that the story takes at the end were almost profound, and a statement on gamers and gaming in general that no other game has managed to make. Challenging puzzles and deep meaning, rare nowadays. Something I hope will be emulated by other games who realize that gaming doesn't have to be stupid as fuck.

8. Ikaruga XBOX360

Ikaruga of course came out earlier for the GC and the DC, but the fact that we now have really accurate online rankings here and replays are instantly downloadable makes it worth mentioning as one of the year's best in my opinion. Ikaruga itself I would compare to Chess, Go or Shougi in its deep complexity and rewarding depth. Watching a good Ikaruga player is like watching a good pianist. The achievements are also perfectly presented for this game and give you an incentive to work for that (at first unattainable!) 1 credit clear.

7. Call of Duty 4 Expansion Pack XBOX360

Yes, a map pack. But it brought me back to my 2007 GOTY COD4 for a month or two and that is enough. I really liked all the maps, though I'm in the minority there.

6. Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia DS

A solid new Castlevania with a lot to explore and action divvied up into bite-size gaming bits. No insane time commitments, and yet a strong challenge. Gotta love that. New Game + and other modes included, and a saucy female protagonist. Win.

5. Ketsui Death Label DS

Best handheld shooter of the year in my opinion. This game will grip the fuck out of you for a good 30 hours, or at least until you beat the insane Death Label mode. What makes it great is the steady unlock of new modes and features as you go along. Plenty of incentive to play, and hard.

4. Gears of War 2 XBOX 360

I played this before I played GOW1 and I fucking loved it. Yeah, online mode is broken and currently a shame to Epic's reputation, but single player and horde mode is enough to put this on my top 10. I can only take so much of the Hollywood-esque presentation in games, but with Gears it somehow works and I'm laughing as much as I'm saying 'Holy shit!'

3. Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu Arcade

This is the fourth game in CAVE's Dodonpachi series, which takes all the classic manic shooter gameplay of the previous installments and turns them on their head by letting you cancel bullets and jack up your chain to boost points. But as you're cancelling bullets and moving through the game's beautiful environments and music, you'll also have to switch between shot and laser to repulse enemy lasers and it's this constant change-up and the addictive and forgiving chain system that makes the game truly fun. Add in several beginner-friendly modes and you have a solid addition to the arcade lineup for 2008 which is also probably the most beautiful game in the room at the moment.

2. Fallout 3 XBOX360

For me this game is a revolution and I hope other take notice. Gone is the traditional JRPG standard of watching a story go by as you play along, happily tapping the A button, making sure that you haven't missed any quests, any item to make sure you get the biggest sword at the end. Sure there's some of that, but in Fallout 3 you have to survive, and you have to play a role! You literally have to make tough decisions as you go through the game. Low on ammo? Will you pickpocket somebody to get some and ruin your relationship with them/drop your karma? Will you blow up this town or save it? Etc. etc.

To be fair, I never played Oblivion or anything else so I am new to this type of WRPG, but damn I'm loving it. Game is colossal, and the amount of attention devoted to detail is just inspiring. I also love its futuristic/post-apocalypse setting which is so much more fun than shitty feudal-era RPGs.

1. Mushihimesama Futari Black Label Arcade

Mushihimesama is one of CAVE's flagship series, and its sequel in 2006, Futari was already a great game. Black Label alters the scoring system by encouranging you to shoot enemies point blank, and constantly alternate between laser and shot. Really, really fun. Great graphics, great music. The dark theme of the black labels really does the title well here and stage 3 is particularly beautiful. Stage 4's constant rush of popcorn enemies and last-minute bullet-cancelling explosions also really make this game shine for me. One of the most fun levels in a shooter IMO. Add in that you have Maniac and God difficulties to challenge if you dare, and an all around arcade classic in my opinion. No coincidence that Ikeda Tsuneki (CAVE's main programmer) has described it as his favorite game.

Slavik81

This thread was way too early. I came across it long ago, but I hadn't played some key games yet. My vote doesn't count, but I suppose I'll post it anyways.

1. Bionic Commando Rearmed
2. Valkyria Chronicles
3. Left 4 Dead
4. Braid
5. Little Big Planet
6. World of Goo
7. PixelJunk Monsters
8. Rez HD
9. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
10. Street Fighter 2 HD Remix

Games I wish I'd played to be able to rank:
- Mirror's Edge