• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Lore: Where could Metroid Prime 4 go?

Recap
jAGqPS7.jpg

Do you think they will continue with a using Sylux? or retcon him.

What would you like to see them explore? Planets, weapons, aliens

Do you think this will be a new trilogy

Bonus: would you be interested in prime 4 having some form of multiplayer?

Robb

Gold Member
I’d expect them to go with Sylux to some degree considering he was also included in Federation Force. I’d at least be surprised if he didn’t appear at all in Prime 4.

Hopefully they’ve come up with someone more interesting as the main antagonist though. I never really understood why they brought in Sylux at all, he wasn’t very interesting in Hunters and his character design isn’t very good/interesting either imo.

Unless they include some neat gameplay mechanic where you yourself get to drive Samus ship through space between planets and land etc. etc. I’d rather go back to exploring a single planet again. Prime 3 was fun, but I never really felt like it necessarily had to be separated into different planets, that just added more loading screens.

I wouldn’t mind a storyline that can be made into a new trilogy.

I don’t care for multiplayer.

How is Metroid Dread now that dust has settled ?
It’s fantastic! From what I recall it was mainly the Emmi sections that were divisive for most people. So maybe look those up to get a feel if that’s something you’d enjoy if you’re on the fence.

Last edited:
I don't see a need for MP to go in some wildly different direction gameplay-wise: if it ain't broke, why fix it? There's nothing wrong with refining and iterating on a winning formula....just ask Dragon Quest, Persona, or Mario.

Story-wise, I could go for a deep dive on space pirate culture....the glimpses of it we saw in the first 3 MP games were pretty rad.

MagnesD3

I don't see a need for MP to go in some wildly different direction gameplay-wise: if it ain't broke, why fix it? There's nothing wrong with refining and iterating on a winning formula....just ask Dragon Quest, Persona, or Mario.

Story-wise, I could go for a deep dive on space pirate culture....the glimpses of it we saw in the first 3 MP games were pretty rad.
3D Mario gets innovation all the time. Metroid Prime hasnt had a single entry thats come close to how good the first one was, the fact they are iterative sequels makes this worse. Metroid deserves better, for example I shouldnt be picking the spider ball in the 80% mark of the game like MP3 if its been in the previous ones unless its bringing something new and mindblowing to the table. It should be first person and have power collecting elements in a cohesive world with map exploration but they need to push the boundaries on this one.

Last edited:

kunonabi

I know this is going to sound crazy but I want something more grounded. I don't want Samus turning into a stupid insect or more chozo nonsense. A fresh start with none of the baggage from previous prime/hunters/federation force storylines would be what I want.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
They've been teasing Sylux for a while so I could see them using Sylux as a subplot for MP4. I'd also like to see the Federation Force Mech suits return in some form. With MP4 they have a chance to go wild and place it anywhere in the timeline given MP3 is the end of Phaaze and Metroid Prime and I'm not sure where they could go afterwards. Maybe multiple campaigns/missions that resolve Federation problems, actual bounty hunting and maybe the discovery and exploration of derelict spaceships(MP3 was amazing in this regard with the G.F.S. Valhalla).

I would like to see multiple planets and a new enemy that isn't Space Pirates but some new threat. The Ing in MP2 were really cool.

After Dread Samus is pretty much one of the more dangerous entities in the Metroid Universe being a human Metroid. Which I can only see her using to help the Federation but also completing her revenge on the Space Pirates. There is also the matter that a portion of the Federation is corrupt and should be exposed for what they are.

Only update on MP4 was 2 years ago when Retro Studios updated their profile image banner on their twitter with this dark and foreboding imagery:

1500x500

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Im one of the biggest Metroid fans but never cared about the story but I do hope they skip all the federation force and bounty hunters crap. Especially that lame Sylux.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
How is Metroid Dread now that dust has settled ?

As someone who's played a ton of fusion and Super, I skipped out Dread until last year because I didn't like the look on the screenshot and video, but I was buying the Nintendo voucher scheme for Tears of the Kingdom and thought I would just use it for my second game on Dread.

Boy was I wrong, the game looks fantastic in motion the videos and screenshots online don't do it justice, would highly recommend. The only game I feel comes close to the level of how different actually playing it feels to watching it online is Streets of Rage 4. If you like prior entries or the genre in general do yourself a favour and just buy it.

Last edited:

tommib

As someone who's played a ton of fusion and Super, I skipped out Dread until last year because I didn't like the look on the screenshot and video, but I was buying the Nintendo voucher scheme for Tears of the Kingdom and thought I would just use it for my second game on Dread.

Boy was I wrong, the game looks fantastic in motion the videos and screenshots online don't do it justice, would highly recommend. The only game I feel comes close to the level of how different actually playing it feels to watching it online is Streets of Rage 4. If you like prior entries or the genre in general do yourself a favour and just buy it.
Totally this. The gameplay is absolutely a delight. I couldn’t stop playing it until I finished hard mode. Total joy and great atmosphere. We need a Metroid Dread 2 on Switch 2 with 4K visuals.

Kuranghi

It's also painfully linear.

At the start sure, but it does open up later, it's not like Fusion level of confined to a path and needing to find shortcuts between zones. It also has both teleports and regular backtracking unlike Fusion's very specific shortcuts that are required to get some end game items when the elevators are locked off.

Also they did allow you to come back and get items without the intended upgrade but it was more challenging (the lava rooms as an example), or wait til you had the one they intended and get it a bit easier. Or even come near the end and use the screw attack to breeze them.

I think it would be cool if Prime 4 took place after Dread and you could activate the Metroid Suit at a cost like the PED suit in Prime 3 (but balance it better gameplay wise than that game.) They’d never do it though because Nintendo want to keep the Prime games seperate from the main ones.

It's also painfully linear.
It really isn’t. It has many intended (and unintended) sequence breaks. There’s a few roadblocks but you can plan your route around them. It’s the most open Metroid game since Zero Mission and I’m tired of people repeating the “it’s linear” criticism because they played the game and only followed the path the game suggests you take.

cireza

At the start sure, but it does open up later, it's not like Fusion level of confined to a path and needing to find shortcuts between zones. It also has both teleports and regular backtracking unlike Fusion's very specific shortcuts that are required to get some end game items when the elevators are locked off.
The way Fusion opens up feels quite magical because you don't expect that horizontal traversal at first.

Also Fusion and older Metroid have a truly interconnected world where you can end-up anywhere while Dread is confined to areas separated with loadings. Anyway the areas are so poor visually speaking it is next to impossible to memorize clearly the places. Everything looks the same.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

The way Fusion opens up feels quite magical because you don't expect that horizontal traversal at first.

Also Fusion and older Metroid have a truly interconnected world where you can end-up anywhere while Dread is confined to areas separated with loadings. Anyway the areas are so poor visually speaking it is next to impossible to memorize clearly the places. Everything looks the same.

I didn't like that Fusion had such an egregious point of no return though, all Metroids have those but its usually right near the end.

In Super I had to beat the final boss again because I missed something beforehand, took 30 mins. In Fusion I had to look up a guide to understand when I was supposed to go look for the secret passages, which I disliked a lot.

Fusion is superb in many ways but overall its my least favourite because some bosses were far too hard, I played it emulated but still used the proper save mechanisms, but I had to use save states for the flying shadow boss because I didn't even understand what I was supposed to do for like 10 tries and at first I ran from the save point but after a dozen deaths I used the save state because otherwise I wouldn't have bothered finishing the game, I like challenge but this became Souls level of memorise patterns and retread ground (even when I had 90% of the possible energy tanks entering the boss) which is the reason I don't play those games.

I don't get your last part, elevators are still loadings to me and Dread has multiple types of shortcuts doesn't it?

cireza

I didn't like that Fusion had such an egregious point of no return though, all Metroids have those but its usually right near the end.

In Super I had to beat the final boss again because I missed something beforehand, took 30 mins. In Fusion I had to look up a guide to understand when I was supposed to go look for the secret passages, which I disliked a lot.

Fusion is superb in many ways but overall its my least favourite because some bosses were far too hard, I played it emulated but still used the proper save mechanisms, but I had to use save states for the flying shadow boss because I didn't even understand what I was supposed to do for like 10 tries and at first I ran from the save point but after a dozen deaths I used the save state because otherwise I wouldn't have bothered finishing the game, I like challenge but this became Souls level of memorise patterns and retread ground (even when I had 90% of the possible energy tanks entering the boss) which is the reason I don't play those games.

I don't get your last part, elevators are still loadings to me and Dread has multiple types of shortcuts doesn't it?
The way Dread is made, it would be the same in Fusion if you had loading times between Sector 1, 2 ... 6 which you absolutely don't have when you discover all the shortcuts that directly connect the sectors. You found them, didn't you ? All of this is actually one big single map... Same thing in other Metroid games, for example Zero Mission. You think that regions are separate and then realize that they are cleverly connected.

This can simply not exist in Dread, no direct traversal by foot from a region to another because you need to have a loading. Also teleporters suck, poor level-design in my opinion and justified only to push you on that "hidden" linear path.

Otherwise Fusion never felt too difficult for me, I don't share the same experience at all about bosses. You have to learn them but this applies to all Metroid games.

Fusion is my favorite Metroid and I played the entire series.

kunonabi

I think it would be cool if Prime 4 took place after Dread and you could activate the Metroid Suit at a cost like the PED suit in Prime 3 (but balance it better gameplay wise than that game.) They’d never do it though because Nintendo want to keep the Prime games seperate from the main ones.

It really isn’t. It has many intended (and unintended) sequence breaks. There’s a few roadblocks but you can plan your route around them. It’s the most open Metroid game since Zero Mission and I’m tired of people repeating the “it’s linear” criticism because they played the game and only followed the path the game suggests you take.
Sequence breaks should not be the only way a Metroid game opens up since most normal players generally don't seek them out especially on a first playthrough. Of course, that also begs the question when a game has sequence breaks as part of the core design are they even really sequence breaks?

IAmRei

I might be simple minded fan. I can take any metroid and still happy. As long as it is metroid. Its like dragon dogma, i dont need fancy things, i welcome anything new. As long as there is continuity for the gameplay wise. Even it is ended as nothing new in story or progress nothing much. As long as there is new metroid, i am in.

Sequence breaks should not be the only way a Metroid game opens up since most normal players generally don't seek them out especially on a first playthrough. Of course, that also begs the question when a game has sequence breaks as part of the core design are they even really sequence breaks?
How else would a game that’s based on item progression to explore function? Intended sequence breaking is just using your current items/abilities in ways that aren’t immediately obvious. It’s non linear game design that rewards thinking outside the box the game presents for you.

Most players may not think of those the first playthrough but that’s what adds replayability to the game, and for those who do realize the ability to do things out of order get rewarded with a different first playthrough than most. This is just Metroidvania 101.

You’re argument seems to be “most people play games too passively to realize that the game is more open than it appears, so there fore it’s actually linear.” And now intended sequence breaks don’t count for some reason? If you took those out and there were only unintended sequence breaks I’m sure you’d complain that glitches don’t count towards non-linearity too.

The only way to make a non-linear Metroid game without sequence breaking is to do what Zelda with BotW and ditch most items for a few universal ones not tied to any one area’s progression. I.E. not a Metroid game.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Terrible soundtrack though.

So bad I was suprised it wasn't nominated for the Game of the Year awards, it had the word Nintendo on the box. That usually warrants a few nominations for categories it has no right to be in.

Last edited:

kunonabi

How else would a game that’s based on item progression to explore function? Intended sequence breaking is just using your current items/abilities in ways that aren’t immediately obvious. It’s non linear game design that rewards thinking outside the box the game presents for you.

Most players may not think of those the first playthrough but that’s what adds replayability to the game, and for those who do realize the ability to do things out of order get rewarded with a different first playthrough than most. This is just Metroidvania 101.

You’re argument seems to be “most people play games too passively to realize that the game is more open than it appears, so there fore it’s actually linear.” And now intended sequence breaks don’t count for some reason? If you took those out and there were only unintended sequence breaks I’m sure you’d complain that glitches don’t count towards non-linearity too.

The only way to make a non-linear Metroid game without sequence breaking is to do what Zelda with BotW and ditch most items for a few universal ones not tied to any one area’s progression. I.E. not a Metroid game.

I think we're coming at this from different angles. My issue is that Dread constantly funnels you along the primary path to beating the game usually by locking you out of areas you were just in among many other little tricks it does. There were so many times that you get a new ability and you remember a spot from like 30 minutes ago but the game won't let you go back and check it out. The game takes forever to let you just explore the map and go reexamine POIs. This is in stark contrast to most Metroidvanias. Well, the good ones anyway. They may do it here and there but even the areas you get locked into are larger and full of more exploration than Dread's.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I hope Prime 4 returns to the original Prime formula, where there is barely a story in front of your face, and the only way to really engage with the narrative is through context and scanning. I want to feel alone and isolated in Prime 4. I want to explore a world as Samus. I want to unfold things at my own pace and discretion. I also want the locales to be beautiful and diverse.

And if the soundtrack isn’t absolute fire, I will riot.

I think we're coming at this from different angles. My issue is that Dread constantly funnels you along the primary path to beating the game usually by locking you out of areas you were just in among many other little tricks it does. There were so many times that you get a new ability and you remember a spot from like 30 minutes ago but the game won't let you go back and check it out. The game takes forever to let you just explore the map and go reexamine POIs. This is in stark contrast to most Metroidvanias. Well, the good ones anyway. They may do it here and there but even the areas you get locked into are larger and full of more exploration than Dread's.
This is only really an issue on the first playthrough for most (like discussed earlier). Once you know the map you can replay the game and skip certain sections, get stuff like bombs and grapple beam early, and collect items earlier as you go. It’s possible to do that because they designed the game like that.

It’s not as open/exploitable as Super or Zero Mission but it’s way better (in terms on non-linearity) than any of the Primes or Fusion. Fusion especially was programmed to limit stuff like wall jumping and bomb jumping so the player was stuck along the linear sequence of progression only.

My main point is saying it’s linear is just factually wrong. If you don’t like the way the game guides the player that’s fine, but the player can still use mechanics in the game to deviate from the guided path and you can do many things out of the intended order. Honestly I think Zero Mission did this whole concept the best because it had the optional way points, but it was also designed with sequence breaking that lets you go pretty much anywhere.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Considering Nintendo will announce Switch 2 next week, we might be hearing about Metroid Prime 4.

I don't know.

danklord

Gold Member
Metroid 4 will release on Switch and the new Switch 3D with an enhanced 3D edition because of the glasses free 3D. Generational double dip capitalizes on the the Switch's install base while the 3D version becomes the new system seller (when it's in stock, but it will be sold out for 2 years).

RAIDEN1

Question is not where "could it go" ......where IS Metroid Prime 4? Seems to be in development "hell", and at the rate it's going it'll take 15 years to make like it took Metroid Dread

Mexen

I just realized that I don’t know the plot of any Metroid game well enough to predict where it could go 😳

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Probably after Federation Force is a good bet. Secret ending shows Sylux either stealing a Metroid or setting it loose in a Federation Research Station. Could easily see a SOS being sent out for Samus to explore the station and figure out what happened which later turns into a Bounty Hunt to take down Sylux. Sylux has been teased in MP3 and Fed Force so it's about time to give Sylux a bigger spotlight. Sylux is a big mystery and well worth exploring. Sylux hates Samus and the Federation so it would be interesting to see where that would lead.

Either way I think Sylux is going to be involved. He had the most work put into him in Metroid Prime Hunters.

I just realized that I don’t know the plot of any Metroid game well enough to predict where it could go 😳
same.
something about space birds, space pirates, and those floaty leechy metroid boys.
i like the mystery though.

i just want cool places to explore and cool stuff to scan.
gimme a physics-based dust particle system too so my blasts kick up dust in a cool way.

3D Mario gets innovation all the time. Metroid Prime hasnt had a single entry thats come close to how good the first one was, the fact they are iterative sequels makes this worse. Metroid deserves better, for example I shouldnt be picking the spider ball in the 80% mark of the game like MP3 if its been in the previous ones unless its bringing something new and mindblowing to the table. It should be first person and have power collecting elements in a cohesive world with map exploration but they need to push the boundaries on this one.

I'm not saying that 3D Mario lacks innovation, only that the core gameplay identity is the same. Doing a triple jump in Mario Odyssey looks, feels, and sounds pretty much how it did in Mario 64. Things like FLUDD, Cappy, etc are additions to the core gameplay, but the core gameplay itself doesn't need to change, because the core gameplay is really good.

Other than MP2's environments being kind of bland, I loved both it and MP3. I actually liked the nunchuk grapple in MP3, though I know I am probably in the minority on that one.

Svejk

Gonna take a gander that, somehow, something will happen to Samus, once again, that causes her to lose all her abilities and you have to gain them back. Change my mind, Retro.

Top Bottom