• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, what is the hardest challenge in a game you felt a huge sense of pride beating it ?

Saber

Gold Member
Bloodborne - beating chalice dungeons and that king

KH BBS - Beating Unknown, because its utterly stupidly hard to beat

Naked Lunch

1cc'ing Radiant Silvergun in Saturn mode. Still have no clue how I managed that.

Beating Ace Combat 6's full campaign both without taking damage and another using only the machine gun (no missiles). They are two of the in-game medals.

Unlocking the AX tracks in F-Zero GX. I cant remember the exact parameters to achieve this - but I know it was pretty damn difficult.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Banned
Beating the original Devil May Cry on Dante Must Die difficulty, and subsequently getting the platinum trophy for it (on the HD collection).

Fuck Nightmare

Last edited:

havok75

Zone Zeus trophy in Wipeout HD - I spent weeks training before I cleared it. And I used only air brakes on triggers for it since even touching analog stick was making catastrophic changes at the speed needed to clear it.
Man I really struggled with the beat Zico trophy, I spent many hours and a very sore thumb getting that.

Michele

you.
I am hoping to beat a game on Hard mode (not hardest, just the hard difficulty), but it wasn't possible previously, now I am about to do that with Smash Ultimate.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
beating sanic 2 when i was like 7 or 8.
i was shaking like a mad men and my coop buddy was cheering for me as he was tails. That last level 2 bosses zero rings man.
SO DAMN BROOTAL.

1545276688906.jpg

HotPocket69

Banned
Besting that Alma cunt from Ninja Gaiden. Was up til 3AM fighting her on a worknight when I had to be up at 6. First time for everything.

Last edited:

Shifty

Gotta be Devil May Cry 4 SE Bloody Palace, clears with both Nero and Dante, no super costumes.
584D236103B192BB8CB3D62146F8E4B016794B26

Nero

ACA7BC361419303C4590389C24949980F83071F1

Dante

BP demands you fully master the combat system and are able to focus and execute near-flawlessly for a period of around two hours across 100 floors of enemy encounters.

You're working against a timer that refills when you clear floors, and to top it all off you have to fight Dante with AI limiters removed at the end- he uses everything in his arsenal and can just instantly delete you with a charged royal release if you're not watching for his defensive moves.

Doing it as Nero isn't too bad since his moveset is all fundamentals, but good lord doing it as Dante is ridiculous. You need to know the right moves to beat every enemy comp the game throws at you, which means using everything you have and being able to do all the mental sword, gun and style juggling as you fight.

It's pretty crazy.

Beating Bayonetta 1 on Infinite Climax Mode (without assists).
High five for that, Gracious and Glorious on that goddamn staircase were harder than any boss the game had to throw at you. Unlocking Jeanne was a great bonus as well.

Figuring out that I had to get some cereal and put it into a microwave in order to be able to go into space in Mad Professor Mariarti. This was pre-internet and no magazines had walkthroughs for a game that no fucker had ever heard of.
I mean, how else are you meant to make a nice warming bowl of porridge to survive the cold? :messenger_winking:

I should play that game again someday, I have a lot of nostalgia for it.

Ornstein and Smough Attorneys at law
That's gold. How have I never heard that one before :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Gotta be Devil May Cry 4 SE Bloody Palace, clears with both Nero and Dante, no super costumes.

BP demands you fully master the combat system and are able to focus and execute near-flawlessly for a period of around two hours across 100 floors of enemy encounters.
Geez, Shifty, you're making the rest of us look bad. You should play more shmups. You only have to endure 20-40m of flawless execution. It would be a breeze for you.

Btw, you gonna attempt similar high-level play in DMC5? Last I checked you'd already beaten it 3 times...

Beating Ornstein and Smough Attorneys at law.
JVdFnQT.gif

Kadayi

Banned

I can't claim credit. I'm pretty sure it was something Jeff Green (of GFWL Podcast fame) said during his rather excellent Stream playing Dark Souls through many moons ago. Like many he really struggled against them: -

and people picked up on it. It's become a bit of a meme since: -

wm6lkbjuei6x.png

753885_1.jpg

Albeit a little old in terms of quality, I would say that Jeff playing the game is a really enjoyable watch. Initially he kind of treats the game as a joke, but over time he begins to get it and all. I remember sending him tips via GAF PMs about learning to parry and riposte as that was something he hadn't figured out to do.

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
Back when sf2 came out on the snes, i beat the game in the highest difficulty with Chun, getting at least one perfect for opponent.

Shifty

Geez, Shifty, you're making the rest of us look bad. You should play more shmups. You only have to endure 20-40m of flawless execution. It would be a breeze for you.
I do need to find myself a new one. It's been a while since I went through Touhou 8.

Btw, you gonna attempt similar high-level play in DMC5? Last I checked you'd already beaten it 3 times...
For sure. Bloody Palace doesn't come until next month, but there's plenty to do in the meantime between S-ranking and learning more Dante tech.
(And make that 4 times - just polished off Dante Must Die)

and people picked up on it. It's become a bit of a meme since: -
Wow, I didn't realise it went that far. Outstanding.

Last edited:

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
It's definitely gonna be beating Sephiroth in Kingdom Hearts II... I don't know if that is a good or bad thing tbh, it was back when that game was relatively new.

The two hardest things I have done were reaching (and beating, but that's trivial in comparison) master mode in Super Monkey Ball and completing F-Zero GX (all cups / story missions on all difficulties. I haven't beaten all the staff ghosts though).

DUDE Super Monkey Ball is a classic. Good taste!

TKOing Iron Mike during the second round in Punch Out was a huge one for me as a kid.

Most recently, 100%ing Celeste, specifically beating the C Side of chapter 7. That took a lot of practice and patience. As an adult that stuff don't come easy anymore

Terra_Ex

Probably beating Rings of Power on Mega Drive way back in the day. Pre-internet and pre-walkthroughs at your fingertips so it was all on you to figure everything out. There were some vague hints in the game manual (one of which outright wrong). Took very young me god knows how long to do it, but my god was I pleased with myself when I finally managed it.

Rodolink

To me (I know for many is nothing special but for me as someone who doesnt play for the challenge but for the narrative):
-Beating Bloodborne with no online help.
-Beating FZero GX
-Beating TLOZ II
-Beating the Valkyrie Queen in God of War
-Beating the first Bit. Trip Runner
-Beating Advance Wars Days of Ruin (as someone who doesnt like the genre this was extremely hard)
-Beating all DKC returns I love those games

Last edited:
When I was little I had a hell of a time getting the nintendo coin in dk64, couldn't believe when I finally beat that damn 3rd stage.

Top Bottom