• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamecube - what else?

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Dragona Akehi said:
I'm not joking. Zelda uses the AGB gimmick MUCH better, but it only lasted less than 8 levels. Plus you never kept hearts, etc.

FFCC had more character building, more dungeons, the 3 phases for each dungeon. My partners and I played over 110 hours of FFCC on our first file. Zelda barely lasted 10.
FFCC definitely lasted longer, but after a few dungeons it bored me to tears. I think the game would've benefitted from not giving you more or less all the spells and abilities at once, thus leaving nothing new to discover or earn later, except for some upgrades to buy.

I also wasn't too keen on the dungeon "phases". No matter how many more enemies they added or new branches that were opened, it still felt like painfully re-treading the same territory to me.

I don't know, maybe I needed to play with four players to "unlock" the fun of FFCC, seeing as how I only ever played with two.

I played with two other people. It was hard and fun. (Three people get the same amount of monsters as four and therefore makes it harder.)

I can understand why most people prefer Four Swords, but personally (and believe me it pains me to praise a Square game) FFCC trounces it completely.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Ristamar said:
Eh, the GC third party support isn't stellar, but it's not that bad. Not even close to N64 bad.

No, it isn't bad at all...but there are VERY few 3rd party exclusives. I think many people with large Cube libraries have many multiplatform 3rd party games in their collection. XBOX is kind of the same way. I never count GC games out, though, but they generally don't compare to either XBOX or PS2 versions (for a variety of reasons). Sonic Heroes is one of those exceptions where the game was released first on GC and was actually best on GC. That is exactly why I own that version.

dark10x said:
No, it isn't bad at all...but there are VERY few 3rd party exclusives. I think many people with large Cube libraries have many multiplatform 3rd party games in their collection. XBOX is kind of the same way. I never count GC games out, though, but they generally don't compare to either XBOX or PS2 versions (for a variety of reasons). Sonic Heroes is one of those exceptions where the game was released first on GC and was actually best on GC. That is exactly why I own that version.

As a cube only owner (for now) I have a shit load of games (approaching 60), but your right.... Very few 3rd party exclusives, which is a little annoying sometimes. I'm finally gonna get an Xdude this year. Burnout 3 is what finally did it. Damn you EA!!! DAMN YOU!!!
>:|

Anyhow, how is sonic hero's? I almost picked it up at release, but heard so many bitch about it, that I didn't. The video's look awesome to me.. Maybe I should pick it up? What's your professional dark like impressions dark? :p

GC like they Xbox there's hardly any exclusives that dont go hyped beyong belief.

So there arent that many sleeper hits.
I think you've got just about everything covered.

Yossarian

I gotta say that there are two games you need to make your collection complete: Beach Spikers and Kirby's Air Ride.

Half of them are awesome games, and you will only slightly regret the purchase.

AniHawk

Billy Hatcher
Eternal Darkness
F-Zero GX
Zelda OoT
Zelda WW
Megaman Network Transmission
Metal Gear Solid TTS
Metroid Prime
PN03
Pikmin
Skies of Arcadia Legend
Sonic Heroes
Soul Calibur II
Star Fox Adventures
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Monkey Ball
Viewtiful Joe

I think you really have the main games there are for the GC (you own most of the ones I have except for SMB 2, RE, RE0, MKDD, and SSBM). You should at least rent SSBM though. $49.99 it was worth a purchase, but I'd wait until August when I think Nintendo will drop it to $19.99 to actually buy it. Very addicting gameplay (unlocking characters/stages/trophies is really fun). One of the very few games I've ever played which I've clocked over 100 hours in.

dark10x said:
but then i guess they were the same people who had dozens of n64 games.

I have 37. :D Looking to make it an even 40 (with Ogre Battle 64, Sin and Punishment, and Resident Evil 2). That's 20% of the entire library, heh.

Oh, and as far as finding WaveRace for the GC, I think I saw one in a CC and Gamestop near me new for $20. It didn't have a PC yellow label on it, so it didn't really stand out.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Anyhow, how is sonic hero's? I almost picked it up at release, but heard so many bitch about it, that I didn't. The video's look awesome to me.. Maybe I should pick it up? What's your professional dark like impressions dark? :p

As a fan of Sonic, I don't know how accurate an opinion I can give. :p

The game is flawed, but enjoyable. Most of the stages are almost TOO lengthy and I didn't even enjoy all of those stages initially. This past vacation, however, I decided to go ahead and conquer the game. I ended up having a blast. Once you come to grips with the team mechanics and learn to handle some of the flaws, it actually becomes really enjoyable. Rather than just attempting to reach the end of a stage, you should try to reach the end of the stage in the most stylish manner possible.

The thing is, until you learn how to really play the game, it just doesn't seem that exciting. Yeah, it's one of those games (though not as demanding as you might think). It isn't that it is difficult to get the concept down, it is that you must become extremely quick at switching characters and handling challenges tossed before you. Much like Sonic's stages in SA2 (even more so), these stages are mulit-layered affairs. You have the "high road" and the "low road" as well as a middleground. Staying on the high road is often more challenging, much like an older Sonic title. Keeping to the highest path is sometimes difficult, but it is actually quite a rush. You certainly do much more than "hold up" like some people have suggested.

I managed to complete the four main stories, earn the 7 Chaos Emeralds, unlock and finish the final story, and net a bunch of A grades.

As noted above, there are some flaws. Sudden death is possible at points. For example, you might hit a jump pad and land on something above you. If you are holding up, you might launch forward...and off into the abyss. It can be avoided, but there are plenty of times when something like this happens and it can drive you crazy. The camera occasionally throws fits as well, but it generally functions OK.

Visually, the game is absolutely stunning in prog-scan. This is, without a doubt, one of the best examples of what progressive scan output can do for a game. Not only is it incredibly sharp and clean, but the colors are just so vibrant. I can't believe how intense the colors are! Beautiful! The game does still manage to look very solid on a normal analog set, of course, but it isn't quite as impressive. The draw distance certainly slaughters the two DC games, though. You can see pretty darn far ahead of you at all times and it really helps give the areas a sense of place lacking in the DC games.

The audio is decent as well. I enjoyed the soundtrack a lot and the sound effects are classic...but the voice acting is total shit (Cream, Big, and Tails are so annoying that I wanted to throw my Wavebird at the TV). Once again, Jon St. Jon lends his voice to a Sonic game and handles the voice of Espio. In case you aren't familiar with Jon, he provided the voice of Duke Nukem. It is always quite a laugh to hear a character in another game talking ALMOST like Duke. :p

Really, though, whether or not you will enjoy this title depends on how you felt about the other 3D Sonic games. It makes improvements overall and lacks any of those TERRIBLE levels from SA1 and 2...but at the same time, a lot of the issues people had with those games still remain. If you enjoyed those, you'll probably like Heroes...if not, I doubt it will do much for you.

Top Bottom