• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that wait to long to introduce key mechanics so only the last act is great?

GuinGuin

Banned
This applies to a few games I've played recently.

Concrete Genie: The combat and paint gliding mechanics are introduced way too late. If they were there from the beginning of the game it would have been far more engaging throughout.

The Last Guardian: The first 75% is just a few basic jumping puzzles. Only in the end does the gameplay expand and the flashback story bit I think would have been better to have at the beginning as it sets up the characters. If the whole game was as engaging as the last hour it would have been up there with Ico and Shadow of the Colossus.

GuinGuin

Banned
Not quite the same but most material are useless except on "hard" in FF7 Remake which isn't even available your first playthrough.

This applies to a few games I've played recently.

Concrete Genie: The combat and paint gliding mechanics are introduced way too late. If they were there from the beginning of the game it would have been far more engaging throughout.

The Last Guardian: The first 75% is just a few basic jumping puzzles. Only in the end does the gameplay expand and the flashback story bit I think would have been better to have at the beginning as it sets up the characters. If the whole game was as engaging as the last hour it would have been up there with Ico and Shadow of the Colossus.
Not even remotely gamebreaking like you ask, but the first time I played mgs2, I felt like Raiden should have obtained the hf blade waaaay before than that

The whole Ninja shenanigan should have had more space

Only can think of RPGs really doing this, I think it takes like 12 hours for party to be complete in ff13, and then some more before you get access to the open world.

GuinGuin

Banned
Not even remotely gamebreaking like you ask, but the first time I played mgs2, I felt like Raiden should have obtained the hf blade waaaay before than that

The whole Ninja shenanigan should have had more space

I can give them a break for that given its a stealth game and you could always take out guards with a naked cartwheel 😂

Probably going to get shit on for this, but the chain blades in God of War 2018. The game was still really fun before, but once you got the blades the combat became so much more fun switching between the weapons when needed.
I thought it was perfectly done. The axe was great. But, it was refreshing by the time they added the chain blades. Plus, their reveal was such a great moment.

Kuranghi

I'm glad you said that about Concrete Genie, I put it down because I was a bit bored, I wanted a relaxing, slow experience but it wasnt super engaging. I'll give it another go this week.

GuinGuin

Banned
Probably going to get shit on for this, but the chain blades in God of War 2018. The game was still really fun before, but once you got the blades the combat became so much more fun switching between the weapons when needed.

It does add a whole other level to the gameplay which I appreciate. The bulk of the gameplay is in the side areas anyway so you don't really miss much by not having the blades until a little later though.

GymWolf

Quantum Break - you only figure out what they were even trying to do with the combat in that game during the last few hours. It's an absolute chore beforehand.

As a side note, it really is amazing how Remedy went from the fluidity of Max Payne 2 and Alan Wake to that mess of a combat system.
There is also not enough combat in general...in my old forum we counted how many combat scenarios were in the game and it was like 30+ encounters if i remember well.
the game was so fucking on the rail that every enemy encounter had to have some sort of story meaning...
U4 had the same fucking problem but you shoot more in that one (still not nearly enough)
The order too.

Forget (most) sony games, this is the perfect example when being story driven\cinematographic gets in the middle of gameplay.

Last edited:

elliot5

Didn't play Ghost myself but "that moment" towards the end was really cool and well done. Reminded me of their approach with Infamous

GHG

The reveal (and the fact that I had no idea prior to the reveal) made it all worth it.

Can I get a dishonorable mention for Doom Eternal cause it seems to get less fun as more mechanics are introduced?

No, the game is incredible. Will never understand people wanting some simple shoot bang shooter in 2021.

Last edited:

GymWolf

no offense dude and i love you in a platonic way, but

tenor.gif

Just the reveal and the 10 min before\after were gotg material

Last edited:

GymWolf

The reveal (and the fact that I had no idea prior to the reveal) made it all worth it.

No, the game is incredible. Will never understand people wanting some simple shoot bang shooter in 2021.
Because doom was always that?

there are many fps with a lof of shit going on in the market, but especially after doom 2016, people wanted something simple and pure.

I didn't played the game because i heard about platforming sections (fucking argh) but i understand the sentiment, sometimes more is not better. (and i'm usually on your side)

GHG

Because doom was always that?

I get that, but why not just play the old games then? I mean we even got a modern Doom with great graphics and controls that achieves exactly that.

Things can't stay the same forever. You should play it by the way, it's excellent and the platforming isn't bad at all. It's pretty basic if you've played something like dying light or mirrors edge.

Last edited:

junguler

Banned
i loved the surge 2 but it waited too long to give you the power up to go up the power lines, kind of understandable as they had a very specific way of playing the game in mind but it was annoying not having access to it until pretty much the last few sections of the game and then immediately losing it again when starting new game plus.

GymWolf

I get that, but why not just play the old games then? I mean we even got a modern Doom with great graphics and controls that achieves exactly that.

Things can't stay the same forever. You should play it by the way, it's excellent and the platforming isn't bad at all. It's pretty basic if you've played something like dying light or mirrors edge.
Because they want the old game concept with updated graphic and level design etc.?

Again, i have no hunter in this hell, just trying to explain what people's problem is, but you have your fair share of good reasoning on your part.

Reactions: GHG

GHG

Because they want the old game concept with updated graphic and level design etc.?

Again, i have no hunter in this hell, just trying to explain what people's problem is, but you have your fair share of good reasoning on your part.

The fact is that if we got exactly the same game reskinned then people would have complained about that too. And to be honest I'm not supportive of developers who release the same game every few years and claim its something new *cough* Ubisoft *cough*.

At least they added a several new worthwhile mechanics while keeping the core gameplay loop of Doom intact.

There are also several indie games that have picked up the baton as far as the original style of Doom is concerned. The market for games as simplistic as that isn't as big as people think so if we want AAA doom games then this is how it's going to be.

Quantum Break - you only figure out what they were even trying to do with the combat in that game during the last few hours. It's an absolute chore beforehand.

As a side note, it really is amazing how Remedy went from the fluidity of Max Payne 2 and Alan Wake to that mess of a combat system.
I feel like they put too high of a priority on animations in QB. Moving around felt too heavy, especially when compared to Control

GuinGuin

Banned

Control was kind of similar. By the time you actually felt powerful you were well over halfway through the game.

That's my only complaint about Tales of Vesperia: the game stakes its sweet time introducing all the combat mechanics.
The Over Limit... with multiple tierss that you unlock later.
Fatal Strikes (or whatever they were called).
Mystic Artes.
And then aaaaaall the skills you get from weapons, some being very important and yet unlocked pretty late.

But even after you've unlocked everything, you still have hours and hours in the game, so I'll let it pass. :messenger_face_steam:

joedan

To be fair it was introduced at the right time with respect to impact. However I had so much fun with it, I wish the screw attack was introduced earlier in Metroid Prime: Echoes

radewagon

I don't even dislike the game. I quite enjoyed Doom Eternal. I just don't think the mechanics it begins to progressively add make for a more enjoyable experience. At some point it just becomes overbearing. By the time you get to the end of the game, each encounter just devolves into a strange meta-experience where managing your resources becomes a huge focus of the gameplay experience. That said, I do love how the game handles enemy prioritization and smart weapon selection, but the need to continuously make decisions about whether or not I want to use the glory kill, chainsaw, or flamethrower when an enemy is close to death is just plain annoying. What should be a moment of gleeful victory becomes a micro-choice about which resource most needs to be boosted at any given time.

And don't even get me started on Blood Punch. It's such a useless skill that's only really necessary for one enemy type. It doesn't help that the feedback for the move is severely lacking and that it's very easy to trigger the punch without meaning to.

It's a testament to what it does well that Doom Eternal is able to overcome so many of its questionable gameplay quirks. Like I said, enemy prioritization and smart weapon selection are on-point. Using grenades to disable the jetpack zombies. It never stops being awesome. Hearing that "clink." Poetry.

Reactions: GHG

SantaC

Only can think of RPGs really doing this, I think it takes like 12 hours for party to be complete in ff13, and then some more before you get access to the open world.
Takes 60 hours for complete party in Persona 5. Maybe even longer.

april6e

Divinity Original Sin 2. The best magic spells/abilities that really define how different classes play cost source points to perform, which for story reasons, do not become fully unlocked until the last Act. Such an utterly baffling gameplay choice.

Half Life 2, the gravity gun is one of the greatest guns in video game history and you only get to use it for a very brief segment near the end.

Any JRPG that introduces party members near the end of the game. Again, what is the point if you barely even get to use them? Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy Tactics and more are games like this. They introduce really cool characters way too late for you to even get to enjoy them.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Metroid: OtherM only plays as a proper Metroid game after the first ending, where you go for 100% items.

They even locked up some items so they are impossible to get before the first ending, to make sure even the most dedicated players will have something left.

Yeah, OtherM is filled with terrible game design decisions.

nkarafo

At least they added a several new worthwhile mechanics while keeping the core gameplay loop of Doom intact.
Classic Doom was never an arena shooter, this started with DOOM 2016 and turned to 11 with Eternal.

Doom's gameloop was basically explore the environments to find a way to get out and kill the enemies that try to prevent you from doing this.

I never understood how DOOM got this reputation as a "bang bang shooter". Killing monsters is only half of it. The other half is exploring the amazingly designed levels and trying to solve them. Exploration was a huge thing about DOOM thanks to it's engine and how it allowed for proper, interesting level designs and architecture. Playing DOOM for the first time, i spent 10x more time exploring than killing.

Modern DOOM games are mostly arena shooters with the occasional exploring to find secrets. They are more similar to Serious Sam games than classic DOOM.

MrA

sonic secret of the rings, you have to unlock decent control (like as in sonic moves in jerky motions without upgrades, smooth and easily controlled once with full upgrades) and it takes forever to earn those decent controls
some of the characters in shining force 1 really fall into this category, arthur is trash until like level 18 promoted at which point you're at the end of the game

Top Bottom