• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming Laptop advice

whiteACID

Closet Masochist
I'm trying to stay $1,000 or less. I'm used to playing on a desktop with a gforce6600 and athlon634200 among other things, so I want something that will play at about the same quality as my desktop. Something that can hold a lot of music and is lightweight for hauling around a college campus would be great too.

As far as cheap gaming laptops go, there are Sagers. However they're heavy as hell, and the customer support sucks. Plus, I don't think you'll find one for $1000. Not to mention the graphics card will be obsolete within a year and you can't upgrade. I think Alienware or Dells have videocards that you can upgrade..but there's no way in hell you'll find one for $1000.

Hooker

Wait, gaming-laptop that is light and thin and under $1000?!

Most guys here have a larger chance of landing you in bed, than you finding something like this.

Gaming and laptop don't go together first of all, those desktop replacement "laptops" might do the trick. But they're heavy, bulky, hot and expansive.

Lightweight and cheap don't go together that well either, especially with the more expansive components needed for gaming.

To get a laptop equivilant to your current desktop for about or under $1000? Not going to happen.

There are still relatively cheap gaming laptops though that you can get for under $1000. I paid ~$880 for my laptop and it's actually capable of playing stuff like Dreamfall. Just don't expect the same performance as your desktop.

Mook1e

Keep your eyes open for coupon deals from Dell. (look on slickdeals.net or notebookforums.com
You should be able to get a 15" wide screen dual core laptop with either an ati radeon X1400 or Geforce Go 7300 (w/ 256MB RAM) and that's about as close as you'll get to small and light under $1000 (w/ the 35% off coupon)

http://www.slickdeals.net/category/newdeals/?daysago=12#p7826

If you don't mind going over $1000 (slightly) and having a bit larger laptop, you could wait for another good deal like this

http://www.slickdeals.net/category/newdeals/?daysago=84#p7479

Wait for the weekly coupons from Dell to find one for at least 35% off here:
http://www.notebookforums.com/thread95521-49.html

Yeah gaming laptops are great...

...for Mame(Gens and Zsnes are pretty good too)

Although I did get Morrowind running on mine so hey there ya go. But yeah you're going to pay about two to three times as much than if you just went with a desktop. I've had this current laptop for nearly three years and imo all I need is Halo 1 and I'm set(Morrowind too but between the both of those games what's the point of going outside?)

Also if you're in college a gaming laptop will shit all over your productivity. I could have been working on assignments between classes instead I was working on Capture the Flag. If my classes weren't so piss-easy(Creative Writing) I would have been in some trouble.

Edit: For the record I paid over $1000 for mine and the best I could do was run Halo and Morrowind pretty shittily so yeah.

Mook1e

PepsimanVsJoe said:

Although I did get Morrowind running on mine so hey there ya go. But yeah you're going to pay about two to three times as much than if you just went with a desktop. I've had this current laptop for nearly three years and imo all I need is Halo 1 and I'm set(Morrowind too but between the both of those games what's the point of going outside?)

Also if you're in college a gaming laptop will shit all over your productivity. I could have been working on assignments between classes instead I was working on Capture the Flag. If my classes weren't so piss-easy(Creative Writing) I would have been in some trouble.

Edit: For the record I paid over $1000 for mine and the best I could do was run Halo and Morrowind pretty shittily so yeah.
I guess you didn't read or pay attention to my post.
If a person shops around, they can get plenty for ~$1000

Inspiron E1705 Intel Core Duo Processor T2500 (2GHz/667MHz FSB)
Genuine Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
17 inch UltraSharp Wide Screen UXGA Display with TrueLife
1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz
256MB NVIDA GeForce Go 7800
60GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
Integrated Audio
Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 802.11a/g Mini Card (54Mbps)
53 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr Mail-In Service, and 1Yr HW Warranty Support
All that for $1140 and it's plenty for games. A little big, though.

datruth29

PepsimanVsJoe said:

What can of peace of crap laptop you were running??? Mines could run Oblivion on medium settings, Half-Life 2 on full blast settings, RoL on medium settings, etc. etc. The only bad thing about gaming laptops is that you cant upgrade them.

datruth29 said:
What can of peace of crap laptop you were running??? Mines could run Oblivion on medium settings, Half-Life 2 on full blast settings, RoL on medium settings, etc. etc. The only bad thing about gaming laptops is that you cant upgrade them.

Did I mention my laptop is nearly three years old? I think I did. Also yeah it is a piece of crap(Compaq).

AMD Athlon XP-M 2800+(2.12 ghz). 448 megs of ram(Well 512 except the remaining 64 is shared vram). Oh and a Radeon IGP 320M. What can I say? I was young, dumb, and I just got a credit card. I'm usually a console person so I'm a complete moron at buying computers(or a complete moron in general..hmm).

Top Bottom