• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gas prices likely to sky rocket to 24 cents+ higher in next day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santo

By James R. Healey, USA TODAY

Gasoline prices could rocket 24 cents a gallon the next few days, as stations across the USA scramble to keep up with big jumps in the prices of oil and wholesale gas, a veteran energy-price analyst forecast Thursday.

"It's going to be brutal, horrendous," says Peter Beutel, president of energy-price tracker Cameron Hanover. He has followed energy markets for nearly three decades.

Thursday, light, sweet crude oil for April delivery traded as high as $55.20 a barrel in New York before closing at $53.57.

A 24-cent jump in the price of gas would bump unleaded regular to a nationwide average of about $2.16 a gallon, blowing through last May's record of about $2.06. It could go higher as increased warm-weather driving in another two months pushes up demand, and therefore prices, forecasters say.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...304/bs_usatoday/gaspricesmightincrease24cents

Meanwhile, Exxon profits are higher than ever. Fucking big business! :-<

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
And the next time I see a gigantic Suburban with one driver, I'll just laugh that much more...

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Exactly WTF is it going to take to get more alternative fuel vehicles on the damn road at decent prices... this is f'n ridiculous...the gasoline engine is so f'n inefficient it's not even funny and yet we just keep trudging along with it....oil companies have a lock on the world like a m*otherf*cker.

xsarien

daedsiluap
tedtropy said:
And the next time I see a gigantic Suburban with one driver, I'll just laugh that much more...

Laughing at the soccer moms - for whatever reason - is much more satisfying.

Gek54

submission13crop.jpg

:lol

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
submission13crop.jpg

I'll have you know the owner of that Hummer uses it solely for crossing rough terrain and suburban warfare and that the 10 miles per gallon he gets with it is MORE than justified and it is NOT merely an utter waste of natural resources. Not at all!

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
ToxicAdam said:
I drive a Durango that gets 15-17 mpg.

::sobs softly::

Yeah the missus has an Xterra that gets about the same range... guess we'll be driving my Accord around this weekend....

BTW

http://www.thechamplainchannel.com/money/4253621/detail.html

AAA: Gas Prices Will Rise, But Not 25 Cents In Days

POSTED: 10:07 am EST March 4, 2005

AAA says any rumor of a sudden 25-cent increase in gas prices isn't true.

Thursday, an OPEC oil minister announced that oil prices could hit $80 a barrel.

That's if there's a significant reduction in availability over the next few years.

AAA did say drivers can expect gas prices to increase throughout the spring and gradually exceed record retail prices set last May.

A spokesman for AAA told Louisville, Ky., television station WLKY how high those prices could go.

"As long as the price of a barrel keeps going up, the sky's the limit," Roger Boyd said. "This may reach the point of $2.50 a gallon."

Boyd said he thinks if it reached $2.50, it wouldn't stay there for long. But he added that once it tops $2 per gallon, it could be quite a long time before it returns to below $2.

The auto club says that the current national average for a gallon of regular unleaded gas is $1.926. At this time last year, the price was $1.709.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
I'm doing my part to contribute to the problem by moving from San Francisco (and taking the train everywhere) to Houston (and taking my minivan everywhere).

Of course, I comfort my minivan-driving ass whenever I go through my parking garage and see 3-4 Hummers, one of which is all DUBbed up crazy-like.

Triumph

Banned
Haha, IT HAS BEGUN.

Everyone should add the documentary "The End of Suburbia" to yer Netflix q. In ten years we will all be making biodiesel and growing crops in our front yards and shit.

Res ipsa loquitor.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
As China becomes even more of a consumer, expect those gas prices to keep going up ...

honestly, I don't understand why our country subsidizes gas. We should be taxing it like they do in Europe to encourage people to do things like "conserve," and only passing the tax breaks on to those who need low gas prices for commercial use (such as airlines and the trucking industry).

ge-man

Nerevar said:
honestly, I don't understand why our country subsidizes gas. We should be taxing it like they do in Europe to encourage people to do things like "conserve," and only passing the tax breaks on to those who need low gas prices for commercial use (such as airlines and the trucking industry).

Come on, you know the answer. A lot of our leaders and law makers are tied to the fuel industry.

Hooker

People in the US don't even have the right to complain about gas prices. Come take a look at some countries in Europe!! I reckon some of us pay 3/4 times as much as you folks

ge-man

Hooker said:
People in the US don't even have the right to complain about gas prices. Come take a look at some countries in Europe!! I reckon some of us pay 3/4 times as much as you folks

It depends. Our gas might be cheaper, but many of us have huge commutes.

Otaking

Fuck! Do not think for one minute that I enjoy driving a big-ass Ford Explorer. That thing goes through gas faster than an Everquest player goes through pizza and Mt. Dew. But I have no choice. My mom passed that vehicle onto me, and if it was possible, I'd much rather be driving something more fuel efficient. This makes me cry...

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
VW sells diesel engines in almost all of its vehicles: New Beetle, Golf, Jetta, Passat, Touareg. Only the Phaeton isn't available with a TDI engine.

Best I've done in my NB TDI is 670 miles on one tank of gas, roughly 50MPG. Usually hovers right around the low 40's.

Oh and all of the VW TDI's can run biodiesel.

Belfast

tedtropy said:

Well, it would be odd to see one with more than one driver, wouldn't it?

Pimpwerx

I've had to use my father's Explorer this week. :( I was planning on filling the tank for him. I guess I'll do that today, b/c this thing sucks gas like a $2 whore. Ugh, I can't wait to at least get the Corolla back. It may look like shit, but at least it had great fuel economy. PEACE.

Tarazet

SteveMeister said:
VW sells diesel engines in almost all of its vehicles: New Beetle, Golf, Jetta, Passat, Touareg. Only the Phaeton isn't available with a TDI engine.

Best I've done in my NB TDI is 670 miles on one tank of gas, roughly 50MPG. Usually hovers right around the low 40's.

Oh and all of the VW TDI's can run biodiesel.

Issue: they're not for sale in California because of emissions standards. Fucking greenies shot themselves in the foot on that one.

I drive an Element, which gets 22-23 mpg. This is OK with me. I had the chance to get something more fuel efficient, but decided to opt for something that would actually merge onto freeways and go up the 20% grades I deal with without rolling backwards.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
sonarrat said:
Issue: they're not for sale in California because of emissions standards. Fucking greenies shot themselves in the foot on that one.

I'd heard that there is a limited number of diesel personal vehicles that can be sold per year in California.

Beyond that, in 2006 the US is FINALLY going to start switching over to the cleaner diesel fuel that Europe's been using for a long time. Perhaps that will convince CA to change their laws.

I drive an Element, which gets 22-23 mpg. This is OK with me. I had the chance to get something more fuel efficient, but decided to opt for something that would actually merge onto freeways and go up the 20% grades I deal with without rolling backwards.

Wanna race? :) With a $300 ECU upgrade, my NB TDI not only gets slightly better gas mileage than stock, it now has 140HP and 210lb-ft of torque (which is the amount of torque my old V8 Explorer had). Without the chip it's not nearly as fast, but it's certainly no slouch. I've driven an Element and I'd say the acceleration is on par. Plus, starting in 2004 VW switched to a more powerful version of the TDI.

Tarazet

SteveMeister said:
I'd heard that there is a limited number of diesel personal vehicles that can be sold per year in California.

Beyond that, in 2006 the US is FINALLY going to start switching over to the cleaner diesel fuel that Europe's been using for a long time. Perhaps that will convince CA to change their laws.

Wanna race? :) With a $300 ECU upgrade, my NB TDI not only gets slightly better gas mileage than stock, it now has 140HP and 210lb-ft of torque (which is the amount of torque my old V8 Explorer had). Without the chip it's not nearly as fast, but it's certainly no slouch. I've driven an Element and I'd say the acceleration is on par. Plus, starting in 2004 VW switched to a more powerful version of the TDI.

Oh, I realize that diesels have grits. I was actually thinking of the Scion xB, which is considered to be the Element's primary competition, but has 105 horsepower - the same as my old Celica, but the motor is smaller and has less torque, it weighs more, and the car has the aerodynamics of a brick.

In comparison, my Element has 160 hp, 161 lb/ft of torque, and even with a slushbox it can spin the tires on dry pavement.

suaveric

SteveMeister said:

Does that mean the next time I'm in London my snot won't turn black?

Triumph

Banned
Teflar said:
I'm sooooo happy I got my Prius :)

45-55 miles per gallon. My hippie ass +1! :lol
Yeah, if I still had a job that was paying me well, I would have gotten a Prius. Oh well, looks like I'll drive my 97 Corolla until there's no more gas in a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom