• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gay WoW guild forced to change name because of user complaints; Blizzard changes it back

In a move that should surprise no one, Blizzard is forced to begin cracking down on šŸŒˆ A L L I E S after the company's contradictory stance on Chinese-sponsored censorship blows up. Instead of going the easier route by not censoring, Blizzard may be following the time-honored authoritarian way of censoring everything else to make it "fair".

A cursory scan of existing WoW guilds shows another one named "GAY BOYS," which had a temporary name change in 2016, followed by a Blizzard forum thread asking why it had been changed. After acknowledging that general user forums weren't the place to properly dispute customer service issues, a WoW forum moderator offered some advice for choosing a new name: "Picking a name that you can identify with without also using words that would illicit [sic] a reaction from other players would be far more beneficial."
Blizzard still hasn't responded to our questions, but the guild's original "GAY BOYS" name has since been reinstated, according to members of the guild. Jilani forwarded a screencap of Blizzard's latest customer service message to the guild, which begins, "I too would hate to lose my account if the account was caught up in something some [sic] thought was violating the TOS/EULA and got the guild renamed, and I'm bummed yours was."
After confirming that the guild name should be back to normal and citing a "careful investigation of your account warning," the unnamed moderator made clear that this kind of automatic takedown may very well happen again: "There isn't a way to stop people from reporting this name, as some find the way the term is used offensive. If you get actioned again, you can appeal like this, and we can look at it once more. For now, though, you have your guild name back!"

---

ManaByte

Eh, there are worse guild names than that. Just look at how many on Proudmoore have ā€œtaintā€ in the name.

Let people have whatever names they want within reason I say.

But what is with people monolithically bonding together over their sexual orientation like they're the same people because of it? I'll never understand things like this, it's like typecasting a movie with a particular group of people versus seeking out the best for the job who would have harmonious chemistry for the roles. When I used to play video games competitively I remember the teams girls would try to form, and form they would merely on their gender versus putting together a group of the best people for the job regardless of gender. None ever amounted to anything because the image was more important than the results.

What a world...

Last edited:

GreyHorace

Maybe China should purchase Blizzard whole so they can serve their market exclusively. Us gamers outside the middle kingdom are just too much of a hassle with our free speech and democracy.

To see a once great developer bend to the whims of totalitarian state like China is disgusting.

Skyr

giphy.gif

Nickolaidas

So gay people are not allowed to call themselves gay? Or is that guild making fun of gay people?

The mind boggles at those fascinating possibilities ...

dirthead

Banned
MMOs blow. We're already a point where consumers don't own OFFLINE games that they buy.

MMOs are just a complete farce. Why pay for something that can be arbitrarily stolen from you at any time?

TLZ

Banned
Let people have whatever names they want within reason I say.

But what is with people monolithically bonding together over their sexual orientation like they're the same people because of it? I'll never understand things like this, it's like typecasting a movie with a particular group of people versus seeking out the best for the job who would have harmonious chemistry for the roles. When I used to play video games competitively I remember the teams girls would try to form, and form they would merely on their gender versus putting together a group of the best people for the job regardless of gender. None ever amounted to anything because the image was more important than the results.

What a world...
Team Thick Booty.

Generic

Maybe China should purchase Blizzard whole so they can serve their market exclusively. Us gamers outside the middle kingdom are just too much of a hassle with our free speech and democracy.

To see a once great developer bend to the whims of totalitarian state like China is disgusting.
You don't need to look at China to see censorship, in the great "democratic" western countries your career can be destroyed for saying that women don't have penises or you can be locked in jail for touching a woman's arm.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lameā„¢
I used to run a guild in Guild Wars named Grawls Gone [WiLD]. I wonder if the Anet of today would let it stand due to be a parody of something they would obviously classify as misogynistic, exploitive, and sexist since they're just as bad as Blizzard when it comes to these things.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

I used to run a guild in Guild Wars named Grawls Gone [WiLD]. I wonder if the Anet of today would let it stand due to be a parody of something they would obviously classify as misogynistic, exploitive, and sexist since they're just as bad as Blizzard when it comes to these things.

Bliz always banned everything for no reason at all. Couldn't even curse if people reported you u get like a hour ban or something in vanilla and tbc from what i remember.

It really was the start of internet censorship in games they pushed.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lameā„¢
Bliz always banned everything for no reason at all. Couldn't even curse if people reported you u get like a hour ban or something in vanilla and tbc from what i remember.

It really was the start of internet censorship in games they pushed.
I remember hearing stories about that. I didn't play WoW for very long, but when I did it was before Burning Crusade had come out and I was running around as a Gnome dancing on people as they "slept". I'm surprised I wasn't banned for harrassment lol

Top Bottom