• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gender Reveal Announcements

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
In the event that a couple decide to become parents, there will come a time when they are asked if they would like to know the sex of the child that will be born.

Some parents say yes and they will be told by a medical professional, probably in a hospital, probably just with the parents or a close friend or family member present. Some will say no, waiting for the birth to find out. In these situations, there is rarely screeching and cheering from dozens of people who feel obliged to pretend that they care if they're having a boy or a girl. Clearly a missed opportunity.

Some will take the superior route and gather roughly 50-200 of their closest friends and stand in front of them before a balloon is burst and they are showered with confetti of a blue or pink hue. At that moment the couple will embrace and the 50-200 of their closest friends will clap and say "congratulations, you're having a boy" or "congratulations, it's a girl."

Personally, I'm not so bothered, but I don't know anyone who has had a gender reveal party so I don't know if it's a great day out. Sounds a bit rubbish to me, but eh, whatever.

In what I think might be looked down upon is the way that some people, who some might say are suffering from main character syndrome, or of having general delusions of grandeur, have upped the ante. Now you'll see videos of people screaming in ecstacy

"OH GOD YOU HAVIN A BABY BOY!!!!" "WAAAAAUGH! A BABY PRINCESS!!!!"
"IT'S GONNA BE A BABY"

As a couple reveal their joy, fireworks are set off causing a wildfire, celebrating new life by bringing a firefighter's life to an end:

A beautiful moment.

Others prefer water to fire and will celebrate by polluting a water supply:

Others prefer to abandon land and take to the skies, triggering an event that leads to the death of a pilot who is crop dusting your ecstatic shrieking friends with glitter:

https://m.youtube.com/shorts/JRixLr5-ex4

(Bonus points to the cameraman for not bothering to check in on the plane crash and just filming the couple continuing to embrace for the 'gram).

I'm not sure what people are planning to up the ante with the next batch of gender reveals. But you can bet it'll be worth it.

I personally think that gender reveal parties are bigger than the deaths, poisonings and fires that have been caused and congratulate everyone who has put a bit of effort into making the world that their child will inherit a bit worse. Imagine a school show and tell where a child has to say that no firefighters died or no towns were poisoned at their gender reveal. It'll be heartbreaking. Parents, get thinking now! There's less than 9 months to get this arranged!

So, for parents who are absolutely certain that the only thing that matters is them, I have a few suggestions:

Perhaps some sort of explosion that leads to a volcanic eruption - wil the blue town or pink town be destroyed by lava?

A meal consisting of the last of an endangered species being served - it's insides dyed the appropriate hue.

Perhaps a partnership with Russia who could fill some of their missiles with paint and cover a city in Ukraine in blue. Was your announcement reported on the news worldwide? I don't think so!

So, to all those planning a gender reveal, I salute you. To those, reading this, what do you think? The greatest expression of joy at new life or the greatest indicator that these people should never have been allowed to become parents?

Rockondevil

I have nobody to tell so I waited till mine was born.

dKCOY6D.jpg

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
My favorite one is the video where the plane carpetbombs the audience with colored glitter and then literally crashes and everyone just goes "eh, whatever" and continues celebrating the guy rawdogging the girl. Pilot died.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
It is kind of strange.

HERE'S A PARTY BECAUSE WE KNOW WHAT GENITALS THE HUMAN BEING STUFFED UP MY COOCH IS!!!!111ONE

I largely think the same of any hooplah made over pregnancy in general, if it isn't your own child. People who get super obsessed with it on the periphery are super fucking weird. Hurray, you fucked someone.

G-Bus

Banned
We did a gender reveal thing for our first born.

Simply had a cousin put some coloured balloons in a box so when we opened the box they came out. Nothing fancy. Wife's idea.

Was done inside with immediate family and a few cousins. Maybe 10/15 people?

Either of us don't use social media so that wasn't the focus at all.

For our second it was my choice to just find out when the kid came out. That was more fun.

Sister in law is having another and they're doing a gender reveal. Wife's taking care of setting it up but I think the brother in law gets to pick what we use. Be it fire works, a golf ball... what ever. honestly I think blowing something up would cool but that's more because it's a good excuse to blow something up and who doesn't like explosions?

Mossybrew

I had never even heard of a "gender reveal party" until like five years ago. Feels like a newer phenomenon. When me and my friend group were having kids in the late 90s/early 00s nobody did anything like this to my knowledge, just baby showers.

Last edited:

Amory

My wife and I didn't find out for our first baby (a boy) and decided to go the same route for baby #2 due in March.

Gender reveal parties are obnoxious and anyway, waiting until the birth is one of the last remaining big surprises in life.

I had never even heard of a "gender reveal party" until like five years ago. Feels like a newer phenomenon. When me and my friend group were having kids in the late 90s/early 00s nobody did anything like this to my knowledge, just baby showers.
It started in 2008 after some lady made a blog post about doing it.

nkarafo

People need more reasons to get attention.

Edit: I thought this was an American thing only. But it's been done in other countries as well?

nobody did anything like this to my knowledge, just baby showers.

I first heard of the term "baby shower" in an episode of The Handmaid's Tale and i was confused. I'm 41 and i never heard of this before, not even in American movies.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

...a gender reveal party...
Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

Our "gender reveal parties" were always in the hospital room. I'd call my ma, and tell her Kim was going into labor, grab my shit, and get my wife and child to the hospital. And only AFTER establishing my baby had ten fingers and ten toes did I worry about the sex. Actually...I never worried about it.

RaduN

Never knew this was a thing...you live you learn.

However, whenever i see a family boasting about their offspring, i remember that Flintstones episode where Fred was exasperating everyone by keep showing them those recordings with their baby. Best way to lose friends right there.

Doom85

I really thought whoever told me about them for the first time was simply having a laugh. Then I found out they were legit and I just can’t understand the logic of it.

So either you would prefer a boy or girl but openly admitting that to anyone besides your SO and/or your parents is kind of weird in my book, or you have no preference which means you’re celebrating the baby in general.

And if it’s the latter, it means you just wanted a second baby shower for the same baby but didn’t want to openly admit it to everyone you invited.

arnold schwarzenegger dont bullshit me GIF by Jerology

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
People need more reasons to get attention.

Edit: I thought this was an American thing only. But it's been done in other countries as well?

I first heard of the term "baby shower" in an episode of The Handmaid's Tale and i was confused. I'm 41 and i never heard of this before, not even in American movies.

Wait... You never heard of a baby shower until The Handmaid's Tale, the show? It's been a thing for decades!

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
there's the now classic over-g reveal... it's probably the second or third case by now

You're the second person to share this, despite me putting it in the first post. I guess nobody read past the first couple of lines.

:messenger_weary:

Reactions: Gp1

Doczu

At first we wanted it to be a surprise, but during the pregnanxy we just thought it would be better to know.
Had a small "gebder reveal" coffee & cake meeting with the family at our local cafe. So 10 guests, wine or hot drinks and a slice of cake. No balloons or anything. Just a good old "it's a boy" 🤷🏻‍♂️

Fermbiz

Gold Member
When I have my gender reveal party, I'm going to shoot paint balls at my pregnant wife to reveal the gender. After, I will post it on all social media platforms.

Gp1

You're the second person to share this, despite me putting it in the first post. I guess nobody read past the first couple of lines.

:messenger_weary:

Im fact i read it. But the video wasn't embedded in your post so i didn't noticed.

Just to not waste my post, i believe there was another two cases not so long ago.

Almost a Tex-mex tradition by now.

Jsisto

Honestly I’d probably rather have my head in a guillotine than attend a gender reveal party, Its the peak of narcissism to think anyone gives a shit about the gender of your wailing little meat sack.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Honestly I’d probably rather have my head in a guillotine than attend a gender reveal party, Its the peak of narcissism to think anyone gives a shit about the gender of your wailing little meat sack.

If they're family and close friends, yeah they give a shit. Especially when those same people want to know what color clothes to get the baby.

You obviously don't have kids nor want them, judging by your choice of words for a baby.

In the event that a couple decide to become parents, there will come a time when they are asked if they would like to know the sex of the child that will be born.

Some parents say yes and they will be told by a medical professional, probably in a hospital, probably just with the parents or a close friend or family member present. Some will say no, waiting for the birth to find out. In these situations, there is rarely screeching and cheering from dozens of people who feel obliged to pretend that they care if they're having a boy or a girl. Clearly a missed opportunity.

Some will take the superior route and gather roughly 50-200 of their closest friends and stand in front of them before a balloon is burst and they are showered with confetti of a blue or pink hue. At that moment the couple will embrace and the 50-200 of their closest friends will clap and say "congratulations, you're having a boy" or "congratulations, it's a girl."

Personally, I'm not so bothered, but I don't know anyone who has had a gender reveal party so I don't know if it's a great day out. Sounds a bit rubbish to me, but eh, whatever.

In what I think might be looked down upon is the way that some people, who some might say are suffering from main character syndrome, or of having general delusions of grandeur, have upped the ante. Now you'll see videos of people screaming in ecstacy

"OH GOD YOU HAVIN A BABY BOY!!!!" "WAAAAAUGH! A BABY PRINCESS!!!!"
"IT'S GONNA BE A BABY"

As a couple reveal their joy, fireworks are set off causing a wildfire, celebrating new life by bringing a firefighter's life to an end:

A beautiful moment.

Others prefer water to fire and will celebrate by polluting a water supply:

Others prefer to abandon land and take to the skies, triggering an event that leads to the death of a pilot who is crop dusting your ecstatic shrieking friends with glitter:

https://m.youtube.com/shorts/JRixLr5-ex4

(Bonus points to the cameraman for not bothering to check in on the plane crash and just filming the couple continuing to embrace for the 'gram).

I'm not sure what people are planning to up the ante with the next batch of gender reveals. But you can bet it'll be worth it.

I personally think that gender reveal parties are bigger than the deaths, poisonings and fires that have been caused and congratulate everyone who has put a bit of effort into making the world that their child will inherit a bit worse. Imagine a school show and tell where a child has to say that no firefighters died or no towns were poisoned at their gender reveal. It'll be heartbreaking. Parents, get thinking now! There's less than 9 months to get this arranged!

So, for parents who are absolutely certain that the only thing that matters is them, I have a few suggestions:

Perhaps some sort of explosion that leads to a volcanic eruption - wil the blue town or pink town be destroyed by lava?

A meal consisting of the last of an endangered species being served - it's insides dyed the appropriate hue.

Perhaps a partnership with Russia who could fill some of their missiles with paint and cover a city in Ukraine in blue. Was your announcement reported on the news worldwide? I don't think so!

So, to all those planning a gender reveal, I salute you. To those, reading this, what do you think? The greatest expression of joy at new life or the greatest indicator that these people should never have been allowed to become parents?
"Main character syndrome" lol can I steal that?

Sybrix

Exactly! Just like having a party for the anniversary of day of birth.

It depends on the scale.

Someone celebrating a gender reveal with family, fine.

Someone celebrating a gender reveal spread all over social media and having some elaborate reveal plan to show off is defiantly main character syndrome.

Synless

It is kind of strange.

HERE'S A PARTY BECAUSE WE KNOW WHAT GENITALS THE HUMAN BEING STUFFED UP MY COOCH IS!!!!111ONE

I largely think the same of any hooplah made over pregnancy in general, if it isn't your own child. People who get super obsessed with it on the periphery are super fucking weird. Hurray, you fucked someone.
I can feel the remnants of your resetera roots in here. People just like to find reasons to celebrate. It’s stupid simple, nothing as complex as the shit you just came up with.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I can feel the remnants of your resetera roots in here. People just like to find reasons to celebrate. It’s stupid simple, nothing as complex as the shit you just came up with.

I feel the remnants and continued presence of your inferring things through a tag, ROFL.

(Never had a Era account, it's a joke from the Era being sold saga)

I DO have two kids, so I can speak from experience about how weird and unwelcome some people are with how they react to other people's pregnancies.

Also, simple things are made up of countless threads varying in complexity themselves. Yes, you ate dinner at 5 PM because you were hungry. Simple. But would you have eaten earlier if you had a smaller lunch? What was your coworker eating? Smell could put you off and have you specifically avoid THAT type of food for the night. Maybe the distance between restaurants and home plays a factor.

In my experience, you can only overthink something if it leads to some kind of choice paralysis. Otherwise, it's being observant to possibility.

Tams

I really thought whoever told me about them for the first time was simply having a laugh. Then I found out they were legit and I just can’t understand the logic of it.

So either you would prefer a boy or girl but openly admitting that to anyone besides your SO and/or your parents is kind of weird in my book, or you have no preference which means you’re celebrating the baby in general.

And if it’s the latter, it means you just wanted a second baby shower for the same baby but didn’t want to openly admit it to everyone you invited.

arnold schwarzenegger dont bullshit me GIF by Jerology

I don't even get baby showers.

Look, I don't give a shit about your crotch spawn until they're about five and can go to the toilet by themselves. And even then, only for a few hours so that I can be the cool uncle/god parent. Then they can fuck off back with you.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I don’t understand it all. I didn’t care about the gender of my own kids, just that they were born healthy. No idea why someone else would care much. Unless it’s a party with an open bar, those are cool then.

Top Bottom