• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Georgia's 6th Congressional District Special Election |OT| Round 2: Fight!

Hopefully democrats put up better candidates in 2018. This was a special election so its not exactly the typical cycle of leadership hand picking a candidate, internal vetting, etc but still Ossoff was a Hollywood story, not something a huge chunk of the voting base in most parts of the country are going to rally around.

30 year old guy with limited political experience, didn't live in the district he was running for (he was born there, lived nearby to support his girlfriend, but still thats a hard talking point to dodge), and his last job was as a documentary filmmaker for the BBC. I mean... what?

Ogodei

Obama has been described as a rare charismatic leader, which seems appropriate. Also goes to explain why his achievements are now being dismantled. His charisma is what held them together.

His achievements are being dismantled by Republicans who would be doing this if Jesus himself had been a Democrat.

The thing that Obama's charisma did was paper over the big problems in the Democratic party, which has some strong advantages in how thoroughly the GOP's screwed themselves in some demographics, but has institutional problems with seniority, not rocking the boat, and getting easily intimidated.

cameron

Hopefully democrats put up better candidates in 2018. This was a special election so its not exactly the typical cycle of leadership hand picking a candidate, internal vetting, etc but still Ossoff was a Hollywood story, not something a huge chunk of the voting base in most parts of the country are going to rally around.

30 year old guy with limited political experience, didn't live in the district he was running for (he was born there, lived nearby to support his girlfriend, but still thats a hard talking point to dodge), and his last job was as a documentary filmmaker for the BBC. I mean... what?

Ossoff wasn't that appealing, but there might have been a ceiling for any Democratic candidate with the turnout seen yesterday in a "traditionally Republican district" like GA-6.

WSJ:
Still, the fact that Republicans had to work so hard to hold on to a historically conservative district sent a warning to GOP incumbents and candidates that they likely will have a tougher fight than usual next year, especially in suburbs like Georgia’s Sixth District, where many residents are affluent and hold college degrees.

Chip Lake, a Republican consultant in Georgia unaffiliated with the Handel campaign, said the Republican win means the party “dodged a bullet.”

Republicans should see the expensive race as “a wake-up call to our base and our party,” because the election in a traditionally Republican district shouldn’t have been close, Mr. Lake said. “I’m glad we won, but we shouldn’t have had to spend $20 million to $25 million to do it.”

But all that money, and Ms. Handel’s use of a tried-and-true strategy of linking Mr. Ossoff to national party figures such as House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi, succeeded in waking up Republican voters who had been at risk of sitting on the sidelines. It showed that even in places that Mr. Trump carried only narrowly, GOP voters can unite in the face of a Democratic opponent. Turnout soared in the second round of voting compared with the primary in April, a sign that Republicans managed to match the energy of the Democratic base.

Ed Painter, chairman of the GOP in Georgia’s 12th Congressional District, said Ms. Handel won in part because she drew support from Republican voters who might have been slow to come around because they were alienated by Mr. Trump’s election.

“We’re getting some reluctant Republicans who really don’t like Trump,” said Mr. Painter. “The specter of seeing another Democrat up there really frightened them.”

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Ossoff basically got every Dem vote there was to get in that district, twice. The thing is this one was always an uphill climb and a win required Republican voters staying home.

Ossoff basically got every Dem vote there was to get in that district, twice. The thing is this one was always an uphill climb and a win required Republican voters staying home.

Too bad the Democrats aren't dirty enough to try and suppress Republican voter turnout, be it through social engineering, or legislation. Forever doomed by their integrity,

That is concerning, though. GOP is still energized despite the shitshow in Washington.
They hate Dems more than all of the traditional GOP negatives.

Basically once again they are experts at falling in line. They know it's better to have random R in office than the opposition. Democrats don't have this level of expertise in the political process.

am I wrong to think that, to a certain degree, Libs are too high and mighty to sling the mud? GOP has shown no issue doing it, spreading falsities, but it works. Why don't we see the same?

am I wrong to think that, to a certain degree, Libs are too high and mighty to sling the mud? GOP has shown no issue doing it, spreading falsities, but it works. Why don't we see the same?

I feel it comes down to basic morality. There are some type of people that are willing to look the other way on social and economic issues as long as they can get a big tax break, regardless if they are extremely rich as it is. They allow the right ring media to enable this decision with tails of 'wealth fare queens', illegal immigrants, violence, etc. Basically, an attempt to de-humanize those in need to allow themselves to become wealthier.

Is basically the whole "FYGM" mentality.

That is concerning, though. GOP is still energized despite the shitshow in Washington.
They hate Dems more than all of the traditional GOP negatives.

Basically once again they are experts at falling in line. They know it's better to have random R in office than the opposition. Democrats don't have this level of expertise in the political process.

Republicans put 20+million into this race.

If you want to see what a normal house race is, go to the one in SC, where a +20 district was only won by +5. That's what low turnout does.

Protein

Banned
“We’re getting some reluctant Republicans who really don’t like Trump,” said Mr. Painter. “The specter of seeing another Democrat up there really frightened them.”

My tax money! Wetbacks! Gays! Honey, we're going to the polls.

I feel it comes down to basic morality. There are some type of people that are willing to look the other way on social and economic issues as long as they can get a big tax break, regardless if they are extremely rich as it is. They allow the right ring media to enable this decision with tails of 'wealth fare queens', illegal immigrants, violence, etc. Basically, an attempt to de-humanize those in need to allow themselves to become wealthier.

Is basically the whole "FYGM" mentality.

I agree.

But, what irks me is where are the Demos putting forth that Flynn lobbied for ISIS in the White House, where are the dems advocating for things similar to "death panels" in the new healthcare bill? We never seem to take the gloves off.

KingV

His achievements are being dismantled by Republicans who would be doing this if Jesus himself had been a Democrat.

The thing that Obama's charisma did was paper over the big problems in the Democratic party, which has some strong advantages in how thoroughly the GOP's screwed themselves in some demographics, but has institutional problems with seniority, not rocking the boat, and getting easily intimidated.

I would postulate that Obama caused many of those problems. The DNC was a more functional organization in 2006 and 2008 than it is today. That is just a fact.

Obama basically gutted the dNC fin favor of OFA, which was good for him, but bad for everybody else.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

While I agree in general, the problem is by finding candidates that appeal to demographics in purple or leaning red districts you then get shitty Democrats who may win, but who in many areas are as bad or worse than Republicans. I mean small progress if someone like Sen. Joe Manchin from WV (or some new candidate elsewhere that's similarly a Republican in all but actually affiliation) gets re-elected over a further right tea partier type/ But in reality those type of candidates tend to just be slightly to the left of their Republican challenger, and end up being like Manchin and often breaking with the party and voting with Repubicans.

Republicans put 20+million into this race.

If you want to see what a normal house race is, go to the one in SC, where a +20 district was only won by +5. That's what low turnout does.
Yeah I know they spent a lot and SC is also encouraging, but mid-terms will be an opportunity for general enthusiasm for the GOP as usual. Same for Dems, but GOP has a better track record.

Maxim726X

Keep fucking marching, liberals.

Meanwhile, the Republicans will control both the state and federal governments. And the judiciary.

Everything is not fucking fine. This party needs a new strategy, and they need to get rid of the old guard. The fact that Pelosi was used, intentionally, by Ryan as a target for Conservatives says it all. Sanders energized the party by promising the impossible.

It's time to adopt a Trumpian rhetoric- Promise free healthcare, promise free college, promise a higher minimum wage... Who gives a shit about whether or not it's possible? Apparently, as we've seen with Trump, you just have to blame the opposition. If there's no opposition? Blame the previous administration.

Rinse, lather, fucking repeat. This party needs to just blow up and start over. Actually learn some lessons. Saying that Trump sucks didn't work for the 2016 election, it's not working now.

Blowing shit up and remaking in your ideal image != Learning lessons.

Damn sure doesn't mean having the infastructure needed to stop the rich as hell GOP.

They also ran a fucking country singer in Montana! lol I think they were trying the Trump strategy of trying to elect outsiders and it backfired on them, big time.

Love 2 b lectured by Twitter progressives on how to win a district they've never been to

Welcome to part one of this thread.

You do know democrats outspent republicans in the GA06 fight by a wide margin? Like $40m to $10m or something like that, including all superpacs etc. Just like Hillary outspent Trump by a 2:1 or more margin?

Remember pre 2016 election it was all about overturning Citizens United so SuperPACs couldn't influence elections. Post election, that message has completely vanished. Maybe its because democrats realized they actually raised way more money than republicans for SuperPACs, so why kill the golden goose.

Try $31.5 million to $24 million. Super PACs and others spent way more money on Handel.

Blowing shit up and remaking in your ideal image != Learning lessons.

Damn sure doesn't mean having the infastructure needed to stop the rich as hell GOP.

You do know democrats outspent republicans in the GA06 fight by a wide margin? Like $40m to $10m or something like that, including all superpacs etc. Just like Hillary outspent Trump by a 2:1 or more margin?

Remember pre 2016 election it was all about overturning Citizens United so SuperPACs couldn't influence elections. Post election, that message has completely vanished. Maybe its because democrats realized they actually raised way more money than republicans for SuperPACs, so why kill the golden goose.

Green Yoshi

Yeah, you're screwed completely now America. Trump will survive until 2020 while Dems fail to retake Congress next year. That hope is dead.

The Democratic candidate in Georgia overperformed so what let you think that Democrats won't win the majority back next year?

Ekai

If Democrats move any further left, I'll vote Republican or just stop voting to be honest.

The Democrats are barely left wing in the first place and you think they're TOO far left? Wowsers. Just what is too left about them?

As a minority, as someone who cares about our economic issues, as someone who cares about the future health of the planet itself, Democrats need to be much farther left than they are now.

Trickster

Keep fucking marching, liberals.

Meanwhile, the Republicans will control both the state and federal governments. And the judiciary.

Everything is not fucking fine. This party needs a new strategy, and they need to get rid of the old guard. The fact that Pelosi was used, intentionally, by Ryan as a target for Conservatives says it all. Sanders energized the party by promising the impossible.

It's time to adopt a Trumpian rhetoric- Promise free healthcare, promise free college, promise a higher minimum wage... Who gives a shit about whether or not it's possible? Apparently, as we've seen with Trump, you just have to blame the opposition. If there's no opposition? Blame the previous administration.

Rinse, lather, fucking repeat. This party needs to just blow up and start over. Actually learn some lessons. Saying that Trump sucks didn't work for the 2016 election, it's not working now.

They already repeatedly said that they know what they had been doing during the Obama years was a failure, and are taking steps to correct it.

You want the party to blow up because they don't immediately win elections in places that have been republican strongholds for decades?

This is what happens when you use Penera Bread strategy - you lose to neanderthals who openly say they are against a living wage.

But, l only see Dems doubling down on this. All this will get much worse before it gets better.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Lefties are popular with most Americans because they run on platforms people actually care about instead of being centrist to please donors, but maybe you have a point.

Lefties are not putting up substantially better or worse numbers! Quist didn't tank, but he didn't win. Bernie came in second to Clinton (no the primary was not rigged). Lefties in 2016 ran behind Clinton overall but not catastrophically so. To the extent that more progressive politics are palatable in the US they don't exactly seem to be lighting the charts on fire in terms of how people actually vote. We can probably run them safely, so we should, but they're not an alchemical formula to win

Lefties are not putting up substantially better or worse numbers! Quist didn't tank, but he didn't win. Bernie came in second to Clinton (no the primary was not rigged). Lefties in 2016 ran behind Clinton overall but not catastrophically so. To the extent that more progressive politics are palatable in the US they don't exactly seem to be lighting the charts on fire in terms of how people actually vote. We can probably run them safely, so we should, but they're not an alchemical formula to win
We've run diehard progressives, centrists and conservative Democrats in the four GOP-held special elections and they all performed about the same. With or without significant DCCC investment. I'm not sure what overarching narrative people think they can draw from this.

Also not sure why the expectation game was set so high for any of these races. They're districts that went for Trump by 20, 30 points. Except GA-6 which went for Romney by 23 points - the Republican voters didn't suddenly become Democrats, they just didn't like Trump. Imagine if Keith Ellison became DNC Chair and the special election to fill his seat was a 4-point race. I don't know about any of you but I'd be shitting myself.

zethren

Banned
I'm sure "Millionaires and Billionaires are what ails this country" does great in Johns Creek

Or give a shit at all about Handel's livable wage quote. That applies to probably a single digit percentage of the population of Johns Creek most likely, and even then that percentage is just high school kids with rich parents.

Well to do, middle aged and up, conservatives make up this district by and large. It's kind of annoying how little people listened to folks that actually live in or around Dist 6 during this whole affair. Yeah it's great that Ossoff did as well as he did, but am I surprised he lost? Hell fuckin no, not when I've lived in and around 6 for the last 15 years.

Top Bottom