• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

German court favours Valve in not allowing digital reselling

Replicant

Welp, this has always been the end game for the digital-push. Getting rid of the idea of consumers actually owning anything. This is why I'll never buy a Microsoft gaming console after their Xbone fiasco, why I don't care for Steam at all, and why I'll always, always opt for physical games.

Yeah, this is what worries me the most. Which is why I'm buying less and less digital titles and I will never support an all digital console.

peakish

Once again, DVD are the same. You own nothing, they license you a product.
The medium of distribution ( steam or a disc ) is irrelevant in this debate.

I'm actually really surprised so few people know this. It is written in capital letters in every movie or game you buy. You can go check right now if you want.

You already own nothing. And it is already a copyright infringement to resale your DVD/games. It's even illegal to show your DVD to your friends...

The only difference with digital? The latter is easily controlled, and there is no infrastructure for resale.
First of all, has this been held up in court? Second, is it for consumers good solution? Clearly not since resale and watching with friends occurs frequently. If it in the end actually doesn't matter for consumers (or if no charges are ever brought up against "misuse"), why not push for change?

Third, the difference in infrastructure enabling pursuing of "misuse" for digital media is anyway one of my personal reasons to push for change as best I can. It matters more now than ever that the question of ownership is properly figured out, as I argued in my previous post.

HariKari

'ownign a license' is just creative wording to get around ownership laws to begin with...
it's also never advertised that you only rent the game

I'm sure it's in the terms of service somewhere. It's also pretty obivous when that copy only works within the Steam environment, and can't magically be taken off of it to be resold or played elsewhere. You know you are buying into a certain ecosystem. No one is forcing you to do so. We're not talking about car manufacturers huddling in a cigar smoke filled room, dreaming up ways to make it harder for you to sell your car when you want to. We're talking about digital licenses on 1 particular client.

and defending this saying 'it's what makes steam so much money'
how is that even an argument? what should the consumer/average member of society care how much money valve make?

Businesses need to make money in order to survive. They are not charities. They do not magically "take hits" to their profit margins without passing that on to the consumer somehow. You don't get to flood the market with used games you can instantly buy with 1 click for less than what they are selling for in the store and not suffer some consequences. The way Steam is setup now requires 1 sale = 1 copy to 1 person. That's how Valve gets publishers and developers to sign on for sales and creative pricing.

AHA-Lambda

I'm sure it's in the terms of service somewhere. It's also pretty obivous when that copy only works within the Steam environment, and can't magically be taken off of it to be resold or played elsewhere. You know you are buying into a certain ecosystem. No one is forcing you to do so. We're not talking about car manufacturers huddling in a cigar smoke filled room, dreaming up ways to make it harder for you to sell your car when you want to. We're talking about digital licenses on 1 particular client.

Businesses need to make money in order to survive. They are not charities. They do not magically "take hits" to their profit margins without passing that on to the consumer somehow. You don't get to flood the market with used games you can instantly buy with 1 click for less than what they are selling for in the store and not suffer some consequences. The way Steam is setup now requires 1 sale = 1 copy to 1 person. That's how Valve gets publishers and developers to sign on for sales and creative pricing.

but tos don't hold up in courts if courts want to overturn them.they cab easily do so, they're hardly airtight legally.

Occam

Again, just like you are able to sell and transfer ownership of for instance Microsoft Windows licenses (which obviously has not destroyed Microsoft's ability to make money), you should be able to transfer game licenses. There is no difference.

These licenses are a devilishly clever invention designed to undermine the concept of ownership.

patapuf

allowing digital resales on PC will mean the market will shift to the South Asia/Korea ect. Model of basically every game being Client based.

That will mean less consumer rights, not more.

Qassim

The problem with digital reselling is that you can do it over the internet. If you didn't have some sort of limits on it, then it'd kill the market. Kill it absolutely dead. Used physical games don't kill the market because there are practical limits on how many people a physical game can go through, and otherwise practical barriers that aren't impossible to get past - but most people don't bother.

Imagine I bought a brand new game for £40 - this one game could potentially go around many, many, many people because of the ease of moving licenses around people on the internet. The only way I could see it working, is if there was a limit - if you for example only had one transferrable license - you can transfer it to one person and then that license can no longer be transferred.

Even then - I do agree with what else has been said in this thread. The idea of reselling digital licenses undermines most of what made Steam great. We get the excellent fluid pricing because they know if they drop their price by 75% they can temporary go for volume and make a decent amount of money because they're personally receiving a decent share of that.

We'd see that fluidity disappear - we'd see games stick at near max price for longer and then gradually drop by much lower percentages. I hate this attitude that because it gives consumer more rights, then it is unequivocally good - ignoring all damage it could do to an industry.

Oersted

As "infamous" as the one in Hamburg?

Hamburg will always remain worse. But yeah.

Again, just like you are able to sell and transfer ownership of for instance Microsoft Windows licenses (which obviously has not destroyed Microsoft's ability to make money), you should be able to transfer game licenses. There is no difference.

These licenses are a devilishly clever invention designed to undermine the concept of ownership.

Thank you.

I'm actually really surprised so few people know this. It is written in capital letters in every movie or game you buy. You can go check right now if you want.

You already own nothing. And it is already a copyright infringement to resale your DVD/games. It's even illegal to show your DVD to your friends...

The only difference with digital? The latter is easily controlled, and there is no infrastructure for resale.

Not really true, when you buy a game at retail you own the key, all steam does is assign the key to your account.
key here is the value, its not irrelevant.

Your comparing steam games to dvd and a console game which is silly.
Humble bundle, greenman, local gamestore, dodgy russian credit card fraud key reseller.. its all value due to the key.

Oersted

This is so obviously blatantly wrong, its almost not mockworthy.

You always owned the product. No matter what, you owned it. What you don't own obviously is the copyright. You are not allowed to reproduce or redistribute it. Thats it. We own every book, every game, every car, every bed we bought. We didn't buy a license to use it.

I honestly can't really judge their work, but the courts in Hamburg seem to have made some pretty decent decisions lately actually.

Nice to hear.

Many people quite like Steam and don't want it to go anywhere.

And what about PC game developers? Do you care if they make money?

How were they not making money before with disc based games? the guild trip you guys are on is insane

fml at the rest of this page, enjoy your no ownership rentals, you deserve them

HariKari

Let's call our copy of Windows X. If I have X installed, no one else has X. X has a certain key code attached to it. Only one copy of X can be activated at a time. I have a group of ten friends that I want to share X with. I give X to one friend, and now 9 of us do not have Windows. There is no way around this other than for us to buy more copies of Windows, so that we can all have Windows at the same time.

Let's call our copy of a Game Y. If I have Y "installed", no one else has Y. Y has a certain key code attached to it. Only one copy of Y can be activated at a time. I have a group of ten friends that I want to share Y with. I play Y until I've beaten it or I've used up what value it has to me. I give/sell Y to the first friend for next to nothing. In fact, we have an agreement; we buy AAA titles at release and then pass them around. Because we can resell the game to each other an infinite amount of times, we can make our pool as large as we want. In theory, we could have a pool of 600 people each contributing ten cents. The only real limit there is time. Because the value to the consumer can be used up yet also passed on undamaged or undiminished, you essentially kill the system.

10 of us get to play Y for 1/10th the price of what we would have had to pay under the old Steam system. Great, right? Well, Valve and the developer only get 10% of what they otherwise would have earned. Aww, we killed it. This is essentially the same tumor that is eating away at disc based console games, but there are practical limits. People have to mail/drive/hand over a physical copy, so pools become less and less viable. Not so with fully digital goods. You can also do things like introduce online passes to fight back. We all love those, right?

GOG works because those games are so cheap it doesn't really matter. Call me when AAA titles start releasing on GOG day 1.

Digital resale is a fun idea. It just doesn't work with most goods.

Qassim sums it up nicely:

The problem with digital reselling is that you can do it over the internet. If you didn't have some sort of limits on it, then it'd kill the market. Kill it absolutely dead. Used physical games don't kill the market because there are practical limits on how many people a physical game can go through, and otherwise practical barriers that aren't impossible to get past - but most people don't bother.

Imagine I bought a brand new game for £40 - this one game could potentially go around many, many, many people because of the ease of moving licenses around people on the internet. The only way I could see it working, is if there was a limit - if you for example only had one transferrable license - you can transfer it to one person and then that license can no longer be transferred.

Even then - I do agree with what else has been said in this thread. The idea of reselling digital licenses undermines most of what made Steam great. We get the excellent fluid pricing because they know if they drop their price by 75% they can temporary go for volume and make a decent amount of money because they're personally receiving a decent share of that.

We'd see that fluidity disappear - we'd see games stick at near max price for longer and then gradually drop by much lower percentages. I hate this attitude that because it gives consumer more rights, then it is unequivocally good - ignoring all damage it could do to an industry.

I will gladly *not* own a game if it means I bought it at an incredible discount with one click. Millions of Steam users seem to agree with that proposition.

Dascu

You're assuming you can organize such a market so easily and that people are willing to wait until others have finished playing it. This would completely fail in regards to multiplayer games and games that have a lot of hype. You want to wait in line until your friends are all 'done' with Dark Souls 2? Oh, and this problem has existed with physical goods, and you're not talking about piracy, which is an infinite and free supply, contrary to resale markets. Nor do you address the topic of other motivations to buy games, like supporting developers (see how popular Kickstarter and Early Access is). Or the extra money that consumers save, to be used on buying other games and services.

That aside, Steam is actually introduction exactly that with Family Sharing. Let's see how it destroys the market.

patapuf

But you have your low prices and competition from the resale market.

From which the devs sees nothing. See what that did to smaller devs at console retail. - or how they survive in Japan.

That's not a market structure i want on PC

HariKari

http://www.usedsoft.com/en

You can resell digital licenses already. No matter how you slice it.

I'm not disputing that. Read through the example. If I have a piece of software and resell it, I don't magically get to keep that software. If I play through and beat a game, then resell it, I can't play the game but I also don't magically lose that experience. That's the difference. In an industry where trading monetary value for what the consumer perceives as gameplay value is a moving target, it means everything.

Seanspeed

Banned
How were they not making money before with disc based games? the guild trip you guys are on is insane

Comparisons to the past aren't going to work and aren't going to help your argument. Piracy is enough to scare away developers from making PC games. Add a used game market and the ramifications would be severe. Forget all this current thriving indie scene. Gone. Forget having most multiplatform console games being ported over. PC gaming would still exist in some form, but it wouldn't be what it is right now.

Uthred

Always amusing in a sad sort of way to see these threads chock a block with people all to happy to give away their rights as consumers just because theyre fans of the companies taking them.

Seanspeed

Banned
Always amusing in a sad sort of way to see these threads chock a block with people all to happy to give away their rights as consumers just because theyre fans of the companies taking them.
Why is it sad?

I think some of us are just able to look at the bigger picture and realize that companies need to make money, too. There's a balance needed. If they don't make money, they don't make products/services. In this case, that means 'people don't make games'(and people lose jobs as well). If PC games were expensive like on the consoles, I'd be a bit more worried, but the current PC games economy seems fantastic right now for both consumers and devs/pubs. I would like to see that continue.

Oersted

I'm not disputing that. Read through the example. If I have a piece of software and resell it, I don't magically get to keep that software. If I play through and beat a game, then resell it, I can't play the game but I also don't magically lose that experience. That's the difference. In an industry where trading monetary value for what the consumer perceives as gameplay value is a moving target, it means everything.

That's a weird and pointless way to undermine ownership. If I buy a movie, drive my car, read a book and than resell them I don't magically lose my experience either.

Why is it sad?

I think some of us are just able to look at the bigger picture and realize that companies need to make money, too. There's a balance needed. If they don't make money, they don't make products/services. In this case, that means 'people don't make games'(and people lose jobs as well). If PC games were expensive like on the consoles, I'd be a bit more worried, but the current PC games economy seems fantastic right now for both consumers and devs/pubs. I would like to see that continue.

Are you really defending your interest to give up your rights with " I see the bigger picture"? I can resell my physical goods and digital licenses. Thats the bigger picture. But don't worry, pubs will fight for your interest.

syllogism

Although we don't have the motivations yet, the law firm cited as the source posted some analysis based on the hearings. The ruling itself wasn't surprising at all to anyone who actually read UsedSoft, but a closer reading of recent CJEU case law suggests that the exhaustion doctrine (as defined in 2009/24/EC) doesn't apply to intangible copies of video games at all due to them being a bundle of different types of copyrighted content, not just "computer programs".

The question whether the doctrine of exhaustion could be applied to intangible copies has been the subject of intense debate. In the UsedSoft case, the CJEU decided that regardless of how the provisions on exhaustion are worded in Directive 2001/29/EC, the special provisions in the computer software directive 2009/24/EC permitted its application to intangible copies, and the contemporary realities of digital distribution required such application if the doctrine of exhaustion applied to digitally distributed computer software.

The German consumer watchdogs read the UsedSoft case to mean that the doctrine of exhaustion, by virtue of European law, had to be interpreted broadly to give it practical effect, and this could only mean that German courts now had to rethink their old stance.

Are German Courts Contradicting the CJEU?

So is the Regional Court of Berlin going against CJEU case law? Not quite.

The judges’ comments at the oral hearing held a few days before the verdict transpired do indicate that they do not consider the doctrine of exhaustion to be applicable to digitally distributed computer games at all. However, this is not a direct contradiction of the UsedSoft decision.

In fact, in UsedSoft, the CJEU mentions a possible discrepancy between the provisions on exhaustion in the general copyright directive and the computer software directive that may very well mean that exhaustion for intangible copies cannot apply to anything but computer software. And in a very recent case involving pirated copies of video games, the CJEU, holding that such games, because of their audiovisual components, were "not only computer software", considered them protected under the "general" copyright directive 2001/29/EC.

A second case dealing with the precise copyright status of video games (coming, incidentally, from Germany) is currently still before the European judges, so the case law on this issue must be considered in flux. But at least for the moment, it looks like digitally distributed video games are not subject to exhaustion in Europe.

I already get 75% off (or more) on almost all my Steam purchases. I'm not really expecting to not only do that but actually be able to resell them, too.

Yup. I want to do whatever I want with my games.

That's why i only support gog.com atm.

I buy a game, i can resell it, i can burn it on a dvd, i can store it on a usb stick. I can install it on my laptop again and have two different games running at once, and i can install the game on my friends laptop when he visits so that he can play the game for a few hours without any issue. You have also no resource hog eating up performance on already low profile hardware. No crappy DRM solutions that nail the game into some weird digital platform format.

VxAvb8v.jpg

Steam feels more like

Krabardaf

I've read more about the subject since apparently i was mistaken. Turns out some publishers claim the ownership of the product ( on top of the copyright of course ) and some don't. ( according to your link, HariKari )
I firmly believed that the latter case was always in application, always been taught that even by industry insiders so did not double checked. But i'm apparently partly wrong.

When the product is licensed to you, wich happens with games, movies and even music, regardless of the mean of delivery, you cannot resale it, and several judgment favored the publishers in this scenario.

It is indeed obvious that theses are exceptions and that resale is largely tolerated, but still, legally speaking, comparing digital to disc release where the product is only licensed to you is not irrelevant at all, since you don't own the game in either case.
So it's fair to ask why we should be okay with license resale when they are delivered on disc, but against if delivered via download.

By the way I don't see how the fact that a key has value ( just like a CD or any medium granting licensing/ownership ) changes anything.

Their Family Sharing plan is basically laying out the groundwork for it, yeah.

Wasn't getting why they would take this position, but read the article and got it. Thanks!

Petrae

Welp, this has always been the end game for the digital-push. Getting rid of the idea of consumers actually owning anything. This is why I'll never buy a Microsoft gaming console after their Xbone fiasco, why I don't care for Steam at all, and why I'll always, always opt for physical games.

I used to take it for granted that I could buy a game, play it, store it, loan it to a friend, trade it, or sell it at will. That was before the age of Internet-connected consoles and digital distribution, where games always have extra digital elements and are never complete on disc and where digital items can't be traded or sold when we no longer want them or are done with them.

I see where the industry is headed, and I won't be spending money on new consoles because of it. Thankfully the retro market is alive and well, and I can still buy, trade, and sell just like I did before.

Anteater

That's why i only support gog.com atm.

I buy a game, i can resell it, i can burn it on a dvd, i can store it on a usb stick.
I can install it on my laptop again and have two different games running at once, and i can install the game on my friends laptop when he visits so that he can play the game for a few hours without any issue. You have also no resource hog eating up performance on already low profile hardware. No crappy DRM solutions that nail the game into some weird digital platform format.

Steam feels more like

:eek: I don't think you could sell your gog games, right?

syllogism

:eek: I don't think you could sell your gog games, right?
The GoG terms of service make it quite clear that the user is buying a license, and says said license can only be used in ways that are in compliance with the terms, and GoG retains all rights, so no you can not sell your GoG games

Garcia

And this is exactly why I only buy digital when games go below the $5 price tag. Since you're only getting a limited license it is the same a being chained to whatever happens to the content provider.

I'll gladly pay regular retail prices for physical media (especially for collectors editions) since those are tradable objects. I own the discs, cartridges, boxes and extras but I truly have no full control over any of my Steam games. I see digital sales as short-term rentals and until we see the day digital goods are equally treated as physical media I won't change my point of view.

Top Bottom