• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Germany, France about US: "So many subjects that worry us"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xando

France, Germany and Luxembourg voiced disquiet on Saturday over U.S. President Donald Trump's decision to limit immigration and refugees from some Muslim countries, with Berlin and Paris also reaffirming a firm line on Russian sanctions.

Speaking at a joint news conference in Paris with his German counterpart Sigmar Gabriel, French Foreign Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault said many of Trump's decisions worried the two U.S. allies, including new immigration restrictions.

Trump on Friday signed an executive order that will curb immigration and refugees from some Muslim-majority countries and he separately said he wanted the United States to give priority to Syrian Christians fleeing the civil war there.

"This can only worry us, but there are many subjects that worry us," Ayrault said, adding that he would soon invite his future American counterpart Rex Tillerson to Paris to explain Europe's interests, values and vision of the world.

"Welcoming refugees who flee war and oppression is part of our duty," Ayrault said.

Germany has taken in more than one million refugees and migrants, mainly from the Middle East, since 2015.

Although traditionally open to asylum seekers, France has taken in far fewer refugees than Germany since the migrant crisis erupted. Some in the French government, mostly ex-premier Manuel Valls, criticizing Berlin's open-door policy, as has Trump.

"The United States is a country where Christian traditions have an important meaning. Loving your neighbor is a major Christian value, and that includes helping people," said Germany's Gabriel, who was on his first trip abroad since his nomination as foreign minister.

"I think that is what unites us in the West, and I think that is what we want to make clear to the Americans."
Luxembourg Foreign Minister Jean Asselborn said Trump's order would have negative consequences.

"The American president is dividing the Muslim world into good and evil with this," Asselborn told the Tagesspiegel German newspaper. "The decision is also bad for Europe because it will increase the Muslim world's mistrust and hatred of the West."
More at the link
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-refugees-france-idUSKBN15C0CL

jacobeid

Banned
I'm honestly going to start taking the advice of living each day like it is my last. We're all fucked.

Unless you're a white supremacist.

Salamando

Luxembourg Foreign Minister Jean Asselborn said Trump's order would have negative consequences.

"The American president is dividing the Muslim world into good and evil with this," Asselborn told the Tagesspiegel German newspaper. "The decision is also bad for Europe because it will increase the Muslim world's mistrust and hatred of the West."

Trump bans muslims, furthering radicalization. Radicals commit more terrorist attacks in places they can reach - Europe. Trump supporters point to those attacks to show why the muslim ban is necessary. The world mourns while they trumpet their savior.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Villifying western muslims means you lose credible help from people that can stop terorrism. It also recruits more.

PSqueak

Banned
Well, France should be worried allright, they're seeing an advanced screening of their future should Le Pen be elected.

Woorloog

Banned
"Disquiet"? How about an outright condemnation. It is not like Trump cares about EU anyway.

White supremacists are not impervious to climate change

I almost wish this happens so that they can see their "I reject reality and substitute my own" stance doesn't work.

It's understandable they're worried but hopefully the elites of those countries don't shit the bed as much as we've done in the UK in the run up to their elections.

Koren

Well, France should be worried allright, they're seeing an advanced screening of their future should Le Pen be elected.
I hope it won't happen...

That being said, I think Le Pen biggest chance would have been the two former presidents aiming for a new mandates. Now that both are out, I'm not that worried... She has a good chance at reaching the "finals", but I don't see a single opponent with which the battle would be close.

She's still far, far more popular than she should, though.

Koren

Well...

For those who missed the issue,
calais-protest.jpg

UK paid for a wall (in France) to secure the Eurotunnel accesses against illegal immigrants.

She's ahead of Trump.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom