• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Getting Xbox X updates on vanilla Xbox One

People have claimed that the only way one would be receiving them if is they manually selected to and that simply is not true because I've never done this (I am in the preview program so I wonder if that has anything to do with this)

Is there anyway to avoid this unnecessary 100gb update for Quantum Break on my 500 gb XBO with only 7gbs of free space left?

Bickle2

You’re probably looking at the seperate video files.

Keep in mind most of the 4k updates aren’t introducing new texture packs and other things that drive up the file size.

You should also understand that patches are mostly replacement, they don’t add the same amount to your hard drive space needs

You’re probably looking at the seperate video files.

Keep in mind most of the 4k updates aren’t introducing new texture packs and other things that drive up the file size.

You should also understand that patches are mostly replacement, they don’t add the same amount to your hard drive space needs

cool, how do i turn off this 95gb update for Quantum Break tho?

My One S QB install size is 47.5 GB, while my One X install size is 102 GB.

Have you checked that the option to install 4K content is disabled in your settings? To me that being set is the only option that makes sense for what you are seeing. My S and X are both in the preview program, btw.

It is in System -> Backup & transfer -> Download 4K game content

If that isn't set do you have the download video option set in the game? Its 75GB so it doesn't really fit with the update size you are mentioning but maybe worth checking if you go offline and look at the menus.

arhra

Everyone gets the patches, regardless of what system they're on - they're patching the base game code (and potentially other files, if they've changed the file layout to accommodate 4K assets), and just like any other patch, everyone gets those, unless they're staying offline and avoiding updates entirely.

What's optional are the 4K asset packs, which download automatically on an X, and on older systems only if you opt in via the option in Settings.

In Quantum Break's case, I'm guessing what happened is that in order to separate out the 1080p/4K versions of prerendered cutscenes/etc, they had to completely rip apart and re-organise the game's file structure, which due to the way patching works on Xbox (it's done on a per-file basis, with any file that's changed downloading the new version) means you're stuck basically re-downloading the entire game when you get the patch (luckily files are downloaded in-place, and you don't need additional space for the patch to download before installing).

That said, the patch for QB on a regular XB1 or One S without the 4K option checked should only be about 45-50GB or so, so I'd double-check you don't have the option enabled.

If you're not sharing a drive between the two systems, you should probably head to Settings -> System -> Storage -> Make more space -> Shrinkable games. That'll let you remove redundant data that isn't needed on the X (IE, files that are only necessary for the One S version, such as 1080p copies of prerendered cinematics). Quantum Break goes down to 83.6GB, so you're saving nearly 20GB, and there might be other games that have substantial savings as well (when I first upgraded, Rise of the Tomb Raider was another ~20GB, IIRC, and I had a few other games with more modest savings).

Have you checked that the option to install 4K content is disabled in your settings? To me that being set is the only option that makes sense for what you are seeing. My S and X are both in the preview program, btw.

It is in System -> Backup & transfer -> Download 4K game content

If that isn't set do you have the download video option set in the game? Its 75GB so it doesn't really fit with the update size you are mentioning but maybe worth checking if you go offline and look at the menus.
i just went and checked and it was unchecked

QB on my XBO is 47gb but when I attempt to open it I'm still greeted with a 94.7gb update

Bickle2

i just went and checked and it was unchecked

QB on my XBO is 47gb but when I attempt to open it I'm still greeted with a 94.7gb update

The game size on the Xbox product page is 102gb. That’s for everyone. So no, again, that’s the game

If I had to guess they’ve incorporated the video files so they can take down the streaming servers.

The game size on the Xbox product page is 102gb. That’s for everyone. So no, again, that’s the game

If I had to guess they’ve incorporated the video files so they can take down the streaming servers.

ok well i guess I'm never updating then

but for those who have, did they incorporate an option to turn off film grain on the xbox vanilla version in any of the patches?

Top Bottom