• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Robo : The Day Earth Stood Still

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
One of my favorite anime anythings of all time, no question. The mix of super robots with basically the X-Men turned up to 1000 and the retro animation style just works perfectly. And yes, original dub is the way to go, even over the Japanese audio. This is the only anime series I will say that about aside from Macross Plus.

My friend and I used to rent the laserdiscs from Japan Video in San Francisco as they came out back in the '90s. This is the kind of show that kept you checking out new stuff as it was released, just in case by some miracle it turned out to be as awesome as GR.

Jex

mjc said:
Just ordered the economy pack on Amazon. :D
That's the spirit.

Considering how much praise the dub is getting I may have to do a re-watch sometime that's dub only.

Chococat

GR is one of my favorite animes too.

I like both the original voices and the dub. For me, the original dub voices make the story a bit more dark, while the dub adds just the right amount of palette cheese. It is one of the few dubs were the swear the voice actors studied the original work and tried to match the emotions.

Narag

There's some characterization issues like Genya coming across as far more petulant child but for whatever reason, I prefer that. I think what sold me on the dub was the sheer energy in the exchange between issei & youshi as they head to assist Chujo.

Narag said:
There's some characterization issues like Genya coming across as far more petulant child but for whatever reason, I prefer that. I think what sold me on the dub was the sheer energy in the exchange between issei & youshi as they head to assist Chujo.

Just watched the first 2 eps because of this thread, and I think the dub is a little TOO energetic :p. The original Japanese voice acting definitely gives a more serious tone, and I do miss the "feel" of the dub at times, but it was just too much screaming and laughing for me. After going back and forth numerous times, I think I'll stick to the original Japanese voices for the first run.

On another note, what a crazy series so far. Just pure energy radiating out of every scene. The first ten minutes of the first episode kicked my ass :lol

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
The Giant Robo OVAs are incredible, some of my favorite works! The animation is beautiful (thanks Toshiyuki Kubooka!), the music is gorgeous, and the story is awesome!

A must watch for anyone who likes anime!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
mjc said:
Just ordered the economy pack on Amazon. :D
That includes the whole series right? thinking of ordering it someday. Saw it at a ebay seller for $22.

Onny

Ah, I have fond memories of watching this back in the day. Even now, it is the only collection of VHS tapes I have left - I just can't bear to part with them.

(Final episode spoiler)
Silent Chujo's speech at the beginning of the final episode brings tears to my eyes every time. When he shouts "THIS WILL NOT GO ON ANY LONGER!" and flies off and the music rises.. ah, too good. *sheds manly tear*

Jex

Chococat said:
I like both the original voices and the dub. For me, the original dub voices make the story a bit more dark, while the dub adds just the right amount of palette cheese. It is one of the few dubs were the swear the voice actors studied the original work and tried to match the emotions.
I think that's a great way to put it, the original can be fairly serious and it's often played straight.

f3niks

I was always somewhat intrigued by this series. I'll give it a look in a few weeks. Right now I'm working on G Gundam and Gundam 00.

JKTrix

I don't know what your kids are like, or how old they are, but there might be some heavy stuff for them to take later on in the series. Like when lovable characters die, slowly. Might want to screen them just in case.

It's mostly in the last episode.

Geneijin

Might as well ask here. What's the difference between the thin pack and the economy one besides the casing size I'm assuming?

kazuo

Witchfinder General said:
Yes! Glad to see someone with the same opinion. Shame the DVDs are lacking it.

If you purchase the Region 0/3 Korean discs, they have the original USR/Manga dub on them.

I would know, I own it. :)

http://www.ioffer.com/i/giant-robo-the-animation-complete-ova-dvd-engdub-new-65738986

That's what the cover art looks like.

I remember the set had some controversy because it had the original english dub (allegedly) without the license for it and the subtitles were taken from fansub scripts posted online... I didn't really care to be honest. lol

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Started watching this also. The first episode is nice and epic and the animation is absolutely full of character, love it.

mjc

I just got the economy pack/perfect collection in the mail. How do I activate the older dub with more personality that you guys were talking about?

Narag

mjc said:
I just got the economy pack/perfect collection in the mail. How do I activate the older dub with more personality that you guys were talking about?

It's in the Extras menu iirc.

tokkun

For people watching for the first time, you should keep in mind that the first episode is not that great. The series picks up with episode 2 and gets better after every episode.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
JKTrix said:
I don't know what your kids are like, or how old they are, but there might be some heavy stuff for them to take later on in the series. Like when lovable characters die, slowly. Might want to screen them just in case.

It's mostly in the last episode.
What surprised me is the cursing! I watched it with English voices and there was a steady string of shits, bastards and bitches sprinkled throughout.

We just finished it today. Incredible. Everything after (and including) episode 3 is just epic. And those twists! Yes, they were awesomely "shocking"!!!!

Can't believe it just ends. Is there another GR series that follows directly from this? If so, does it even compare?

I'm also going to watch it in Japanese with subtitles to see if I end up preferring the more serious tone and maybe better translation.

Jex

tokkun said:
For people watching for the first time, you should keep in mind that the first episode is not that great. The series picks up with episode 2 and gets better after every episode.
More crazy talk, the first episode is pretty good.
bob_arctor said:
Can't believe it just ends. Is there another GR series that follows directly from this? If so, does it even compare?
Nope, that's it.

Basically it's The Empire Strikes Back, but they never got around to making the first or last parts.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
That's a shame. Leaves me a little sad to know this is where the awesome ends, like when I watched original Bubblegum Crisis. But thanks for putting me up on Giant Robo--it was definitely worth the watch.

So it just arrived from the States, and I watched the first 30 minutes. Is this a 3-disc ova version of the series or something?
Because the pacing seems really weird.

Jex

Zeouterlimits said:
So it just arrived from the States, and I watched the first 30 minutes. Is this a 3-disc ova version of the series or something?
Because the pacing seems really weird.
It's a seven episode OVA.

Sweedishrodeo

the smegma spreader
i saw this thread the other day and decided to re-watch the series last weekend since it has been years.... STILL THE BOMB

i was reminded why this used to be my favorite anime. the characters, the animation, the incredible OST... a true gem. also love retro-futurism style.

CHIEF CHUJO 4 LIFE

also this site is amazing and also reminds me of the 90s

http://giantrobo.tripod.com/main.htm

lol

If even one new person finds out about this show, I feel this would be a worthy bump.

I just completed this series minutes ago, and good god, that was fucking incredible.

I don't even know where to begin. The animation, the story, the characters, the music - oh MY GOD it's all so perfect. I don't even remember what kind of expectations I had going into this show, but it completely shattered them into pieces and exceeded them beyond my wildest imaginations. It's a show that just manages to do it all flawlessly; it leaves you completely awestruck with its executions that I just don't think it's possible to describe in words.

The production values are ridiculous: I've never seen animation so fluid in an anime, music so epic, and characters so lovable and exciting in something like this ever before. I found myself drawn in from the very first episode, and every subsequent one manages to introduce plot twists and turns you'll never expect. The tension and hot-blooded excitement in each and every episode is utterly spectacular, I just don't think words could give it justice. It's a show with a rollercoaster of emotions, one that'll take you on a spectacular ride you'll never, ever forget.

If you're a fan of TTGL, or anime at all, I commend you to watch Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still. I promise you you won't regret it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom